Freedom H2O Zone: YUCK!

cruisy

Just back from Freedom 8/12. The entire H2O Zone - not just the baby pool - was full of toddlers in swim diapers. I didn't go in, but DH and DS used it once. So why do I care? Because the fountains create a fine mist of possible poopie water which blows onto EVERYONE and EVERYTHING passing through this area (including the accurately named SPRINKLES ice cream station)

So, in other words, the water the kiddies are playing in is blown onto your body, hands, face, mouth, food, drinks, etc.

Double Yuck. We didn't notice this on our Freedom trip in June 2006. But we hung out at the Solarium so who knows.

But remember, this is the generation that takes babies to 10 PM movies Saturday nights and drags the babies thru the malls late at night......

One more thing...

Before everyone gets defensive about their children, etc. I have a five year old, so I know all about swim diapers. They aren't for holding in pee. If you pee in them, it just leaks out. Which OBVIOUSLY means: if your kid is wearing a swim diaper, you are afraid they might unexpectedly poop, while wearing their swimsuit...in...the...pool.

Throughout your family vacation, we ask that your children respect the other guests onboard by not playing unsupervised on deck, in the lounges or on the dance floor, especially in the evening. Please note: Due to Public health regulations, children in diapers, swim diapers, pull-ups, or who are not COMPLETELY toilet trained are not allowed in the pools, whirlpools, or H2O zone. On the Freedom of the Seas and Liberty of the Seas children in diapers, or who are not toilet trained may use the Baby Splash Zone" specially designated for them.

This is the RCCL rule taken from the website on all ships with the exception of the Liberty and freedom that has the Baby Splash Zone just for babies.

While I know that sounds very disqusting, I would hope/imagine that the ships have chorine, or an equivalent, with a filtration system for the water. Small children are not infection factories, nasty adults who fail to wash hands are. Happy cruisings. I was on one of the first "norwalk cruises" and my teenage daughter got violently ill. It's really awful, but I'm quite sure it had nothing to do with small children. Just bad handwashing.

"Small children are not infection factories".....are you serious?????? Kids are always putting their dirty hands in their mouths and always spreading germs to one another. Why do you think when kids start school they are always sick and bringing it home to younger siblings and even the parents. And then just thinking of them peeing in the water and drinking it ughhhhhhhhhhhhh it makes me so sick just thinking about it. I think an adult would be way more likely to wash their hands alot more but then ive seen adults walk out after using the restroom and not wash their hands and walk out the door...ewwwwweeeee!

Because the fountains create a fine mist of possible poopie water which blows onto EVERYONE and EVERYTHING passing through this area (including the accurately named SPRINKLES ice cream station)

QUOTE]

ROTFLOL:D :eek: :D

While I know that sounds very disqusting, I would hope/imagine that the ships have chorine, or an equivalent, with a filtration system for the water. Small children are not infection factories, nasty adults who fail to wash hands are. Happy cruisings. I was on one of the first "norwalk cruises" and my teenage daughter got violently ill. It's really awful, but I'm quite sure it had nothing to do with small children. Just bad handwashing.

However, if they have enough chlorine in the water to kill e coli, then who wants their baby in it? Also, toddlers are very prone to middle ear infections caused by dirty water. I can't imagine putting my child in that environment, swim diaper or not.

Viv

So by this logic, my body, food and drinks can get completed covered by e. Coli mist, but as long as I wash my hands, I'm a-okay?

Just back from Freedom 8/12. The entire H2O Zone - not just the baby pool - was full of toddlers in swim diapers. I didn't go in, but DH and DS used it once. So why do I care? Because the fountains create a fine mist of possible poopie water which blows onto EVERYONE and EVERYTHING passing through this area (including the accurately named SPRINKLES ice cream station)

So, in other words, the water the kiddies are playing in is blown onto your body, hands, face, mouth, food, drinks, etc.

I already have these feelings about ALL of the water recreation areas aboard any ship....We were just on the AOS and there were people body to body in the pool and I heard one little boy say "SHE JUST PEED...I SAW HER" YIKES! There were chunks of matted hair floating around, who knows who's. The water area, of any form is the place I stay away from the most...however I did grow up water skiing in a brown murky lake...God only knows what has been in there...maybe that is why the whole things grosses me out!:eek: BTW I have four kids of my own...and they are gross little creatures...it is up to their parents to keep them clean and abide the rules of any local swim facility shore side or otherwise.:D The entitlement factor of my generation has gotten way out of hand and I am dissappointed to know, as well, that the FreedomOS staff was not enforcing the rules set in place to help ensure everyone enjoyed a fun and healthy vacation!

We didn't see this happening on the Liberty of the Seas in July. There was one child in a diaper in the babies only area. She had obviously pooped, 'cause it could me smelled from a good distance away. My 3 year old DS walked over and wanted to get in that area. I told him absolutely NOT. The baby's parents either didn't care or were oblivious to the fact that the child needed to be changed, because she was there for a long while.

I just hope that in October, most of the little kids will be starting school. In October, there is still a large amount of kids, but nothing like in the summer months. I hope my family and I can enjoy the H2O Zone.

Small children are not infection factories....

Sorry, but willing to bet that just about anyone with any background or education in microbiology and/or infection control would heartily disagree. In college, my micro instructor CONSTANTLY referred to toddler and young school-aged children as 'little germbags' and similar...;)

Some adults may indeed fail to wash their hands, but have yet to see a very young child ever do it properly--and especially not consistently each and every time they pull their wee lil' fingers out of mouths, diapers, noses, etc...:eek: :D

I thought I was a germaphob!!! I would never have been able to create the transmission of e-coli from a diaper in the H2O zone winding up over at the ice cream station. BUT...now I can...thanks! :eek:

I really really want to use the hot tub but as soon as I see some big hairy guy coming over I run out. I mean...I don't even like taking a bath myself...sitting in my own filth...but to have to get in a bath with someone else? YUCK!

I better get over it...since I will be in the hot tub on Sunday...woohoo! Maybe a glass of wine will help.

Jenn

We were on the Freedom 8/12-8/19 and we saw quite a few babies with swim diapers in the H20 Zone and also in the pools. We also saw many unattended underage children the the hot tubs. A few times, the hot tubs were completely occupied only by children.:mad:

Maybe it's because I have one of those little germ factories, but...

I just did a search on e Coli and pools. 26 kids got sick, one of whom died, in 1998 from a water park and a baby pooping in the pool. Which is tragic, of course, but procedures have changed from that incident according to this article - http://www.about-ecoli.com/news/white-water11.htm.

In August - September 2006, almost 200 people got sick and one died from e Coli that was on spinach. One of the sick was my husband, from a salad in a 4-star restaurant in Albuquerque. And let me tell you, e Coli on vacation is a BLAST!!

Call me crazy, but while I think poop is nasty and I do change my son right away, swimming in a pool with him is something we do every week. Eating spinach, well, isn't.

They have sea water in the pools that are dumped everynight on a rotating basis. Only the freedom and the Liberty have fresh water pools that a treated. All hot tubs are heavily treated with chlorine that would not be safe for a baby nor would the high temp. for a young child.

Archived