Freedom H2O Zone: YUCK!

cruisy

While I know that sounds very disqusting, I would hope/imagine that the ships have chorine, or an equivalent, with a filtration system for the water. Small children are not infection factories, nasty adults who fail to wash hands are. Happy cruisings. I was on one of the first "norwalk cruises" and my teenage daughter got violently ill. It's really awful, but I'm quite sure it had nothing to do with small children. Just bad handwashing.

Huh......... they pee and crap in their pants.......which most of us adults don't do....

You Americans really are unreal......well some of you are!!!!

Those of you that dont liek the idea of young children using the water facilities then the answer is simple, go on a ship that is designed for adults only, when you book and go on a ship that is aimed at the family market you will get young children onboard, personally I am glad that RCCL have designated a small area on FOS and LOS to very young children, about time! UK ships have had areas for smaller children for years, never get any problems on them!!!! The water is kept seperate and is filtered seperatly and just needs to be done on a regular basis I expect.

I must admit I get fed up reading this board and getting all 'poopie in the pool' talk, its total rubbish, many of you americans are so unfair on this subject, children are humans the same as you, you are as likely to an accident as many other people so none of us are immune (however unlikely) to something like this happening!

About time you grew up and accepted children on a ship, if you cant go on a ship that is child-free simple!!!

James (across the pond in the UK)

So in your love for children, it's ok they crap in the water and have everyone else breathe in the mist walking by?

children are humans the same as you, you are as likely to an accident as many other people so none of us are immune (however unlikely) to something like this happening!

I don't know about all the other adults here, but I can't recall the last time I "accidently" took a crap in a pool. Must be something that happens alot "across the pond in the UK":eek:

I guess that I am missing something here... Although, I do think that rules exist for a reason, I have yet to hear of one instance where people were cross contaminated via the H2O zone. Discusting yes, an issue as enormous as some would portray it...no. You only have control over yourself and your environment... If you feel wronged, report it. If you are unhappy with the outcome, change the environment.... simple!

What about the elderly and the depends? I have known of a few elderly people that have had control issues and wore sanitary products to prevent embarrassing moments... just curious how much of this is happening that we don't know about (or can't see).

I don't know about all the other adults here, but I can't recall the last time I "accidently" took a crap in a pool. Must be something that happens alot "across the pond in the UK":eek:

LOL!:D .... And I totally agree with you.

You Americans really are unreal......well some of you are!!!!

I must admit I get fed up reading this board and getting all 'poopie in the pool' talk, its total rubbish, many of you americans are so unfair on this subject, children are humans the same as you, you are as likely to an accident as many other people so none of us are immune (however unlikely) to something like this happening!

About time you grew up and accepted children on a ship, if you cant go on a ship that is child-free simple!!!

James (across the pond in the UK)

And it is fair for 3000 people to be deprived of use of the pool while it is being drained, scrubed, and disinfected? The rules say no one in the pool who isn't "house broken." We Americans didn't make up the rule the cruiselines did. Do you U.K. folks have some problem with following rules? Especially rules that pertain to health issues?

What about the elderly and the depends? I have known of a few elderly people that have had control issues and wore sanitary products to prevent embarrassing moments... just curious how much of this is happening that we don't know about (or can't see).

Probably the reason that some ships I´ve sailed on have changed the signs from ....Children with diapers.... to ....Persons with diapers.....;)

I have read on these boards that the rule pertains to them, too. Anybody of any age who needs a diaper isn't allowed in the pools. That's what I've read on these boards, anyway.

The H2O zone isn't standing water....so the water that is spraying has been recirculated and is filtered and is chlorinate so It didn't bother me too much.

NOW - that glass circular pool.....well THAT was something else. Towards the end of the cruise that baby was closed - one can only imagine why.

Pool filtering isn't likely to get the microscopic particles that will actually make you sick, though it will grab band-aids, scabs, and the like, and chlorine at the concentration used in pools and water parks takes an hour or more to deactivate most viruses and bacteria. So unfortunately neither of these solutions does much to cope with a toddler with a poopy diaper.

This is why you should close the top on the toilet when you flush--everytime you flush, a fine mist of toilet water is projected into the bathroom--the mist lands on toothbrushed, combs, ...whatever is lying on your counters! And, the floor, your towels, etc....!

Most of the time, your body's immune system is sufficient to combat any of the possible germs, but not always!

You can't be 100% safe all the time, but you can be prudent and careful!

It does sound disgusting, although in reality, most adult a**es aren't bacteria free, no matter how well you think you wipe up. So even if you don't have an "accident" in the pool, the bacteria still get in the water. That's what the water treatment chemicals are for.

But that was quite a scary opening post. Special of the day: Vanilla fecal swirl . . . :eek:

This is why you should close the top on the toilet when you flush--everytime you flush, a fine mist of toilet water is projected into the bathroom--the mist lands on toothbrushed, combs, ...whatever is lying on your counters! And, the floor, your towels, etc....!

Actually...........this isn't true.

This was a subject on Mythbusters a few months ago. The myth was busted.

It does sound disgusting, although in reality, most adult a**es aren't bacteria free, no matter how well you think you wipe up. So even if you don't have an "accident" in the pool, the bacteria still get in the water. That's what the water treatment chemicals are for.

But that was quite a scary opening post. Special of the day: Vanilla fecal swirl . . . :eek:

LMAO!!!! And grossed out at the same time! :eek:

This is a very distasteful subject and I agree, the thought of sharing my bathing experience onboard with feces is rather frightening, but this discussion has made me recall something I saw on T.V. once...something about lab testing of toothbrushes. They supposedly tested a broad sample of toothbrushes, both those left in a toothbrush holder cup as many people use, uncovered and even those whose owners deposit them in some kind of plastic cover made to protect your toothbrush from foreign matter and guess what? Even the covered toothbrushes contain fecal contamination...so even your own bathroom has ecoli flying around in it. What you are doing with your hands is irrelevant. Its just a testiment to the human immune system that we survive all the bacterial contamination we are used to everyday. But you do have my vote...get the rugrats outa my water! :rolleyes: I had two kids and now have 3 grandchildren and would be very upset if my daughter left her toddler in a dirty swim diaper. I know she wouldn't do it though! And contrary to what Mythbusters said...this was a 60 minutes article and I believe it! Here is a link about it http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/biology/b103/f02/web2/stan.html

My family and I were just on the 8-18 sailing of the Liberty. Most of the sea days, the only chairs we could snag were in the 2nd row of the H2O zone (our children are teens...). On two different occaisions, I witnessed pool attendants telling folks with children in swim diapers to remove the child. The first one I was across one row of chairs, the 2nd incident I overheard up close. He also pointed out to her that the sign says "no swim diapers in the pool".

I saw no other children in swim diapers the whole week.

Esmerelda

I plan on taking my camera and doing a stake-out at the H20 zone when we go on the Freedom. I will be taking pictures of any and all diapered kids in there and showing them to the managers on board and e-mailing them to the corporate offices for RCI and maybe just carbon copy the CDC on the e-mail to get their attention.

This is just disgusting! Take your damn diapered babies to the baby splash pool that RCI provides for kids who are not potty trained!

Most of the time, your body's immune system is sufficient to combat any of the possible germs, but not always!

You can't be 100% safe all the time, but you can be prudent and careful!

......ooh man.......I could have done without learning this......:rolleyes:

.....ooh man......I could have done without this also.....:)

Actually...........this isn't true.

This was a subject on Mythbusters a few months ago. The myth was busted.

Actually, it was confirmed on Mythbusters.

Judy

On one of our previous cruises, (don't remember which one), I was laying out near the pool and overheard a deck attendant ask who were the parents of a toddler in the shallow pool. The mother was nearby, but this was a child who looked about 2! I couldn't imagine not being arms length away from my child while they were in the water. He told her that the child couldn't be in the water with a diaper on. She removed the child, then removed the diaper, and put her back in the pool! This pool had a very shallow end (probably 6") that lead to the adult pool, so this water was flowing to everyone else. I realize that the water was salt water, which may keep the bacteria count down, but still, just the thought of it. Needless to say, I stayed out of the water.

UUGH!-

Alicia

Sovereign of the Seas—July 2000

Grandeur of the Seas—March 2003

Adventure of the Seas—Feb 2004

Mariner of the Seas—May 2005

Rhapsody of the Seas—April 2006

Freedom of the Seas—Feb 2007

Voyager of the Seas—March 2008-- CAN'T WAIT

Actually, it was confirmed on Mythbusters.

Judy

I thought is was confirmed too! If I'm not mistaken, weren't the toothbrushes that they kept covered contaiminated too? I think they said someone wasn't doing a good job at washing their hands??? Either way, $h*t happens. ;):p

Perhaps I'm missing something in this thread. Isn't the H2O Zone for KIDS?

Also, has anyone actually gotten sick specifically from the H2O Zone yet?

Sorry. But to me this just looks like another one of those "I just have to complain about something" threads.

Thanks for having the courage to say that Aquahound. I swear, the complaint threads on this site kill me. If one is that germaphobic, then why cruise on an enclosed vessel with thousands of other, obviously less hygienic than the righteous complaining human beings?

Thanks for having the courage to say that Aquahound. I swear, the complaint threads on this site kill me. If one is that germaphobic, then why cruise on an enclosed vessel with thousands of other, obviously less hygienic than the righteous complaining human beings?

I have a question for you. Have you ever spent any time in your life taking care of an otherwise healthy person who managed to pick up a bacterial infection, go into septic shock, develope multi-organ system failure and die all in a matter of four days?

If your answer is yes then I guess you can call these people "complaining human beings." If your answer is no then I would suggest that you develope a good sense of respect for the micobial world and those who prefer to not take a chance on exposure just so some diapered kid ,with thoughtless parents, who will not even remember the cruise in the first place can splash around in the pool.

Archived