What should the alcohol policy be???

What should the RCI policy on alcohol be???  

340 members have voted

1. 1. What should the RCI policy on alcohol be???

• Current - No bottles to be brought on board
    • Have paid 'Set-Up' in your cabin (only purchasing on board liquor)
    • Allow one bottle of spirits to be brought on board
    • Have paid 'Set-Up' in your cabin (allowing 1 bottle if brand not carried)
    • Other - leave a response for your 'OTHER' choice

I checked all five choices, just because I could. Plus, I don't think it's even the right question, to ask customers what the alcohol policy should be. It should be whatever makes the most business sense for RCI, considering all the factors like the effect on customer satisfaction, revenue, safety and liability. Most people are really answering more the question of what they would like for the policy to be.

For myself, I could care less about brining on liquor, but wouldn't mind bringing a special bottle of wine or two. But that's hardly an important facet of my vacation. Since I'm not supposed to do that, I'll just partake of what they have onboard.

My true preference concerning alclhol policy on cruise ships is all inclusive -- like Regent and Silversea. Your drink prices are included in the fare.

But in light of RCI's much lower fares, I know this is not possible. So the best possible thing for RCI to do would be to sell liquor, beer, and wine in their ships store for on-board consumption with a reasonable surcharge over duty free prices. If a passenger became drunk and disorderly, RCI could simply refuse to sell any more alcoholic beverages to that person (they already have a rule printed in their brochure permitting them to do this).

I checked all five choices, just because I could. Plus, I don't think it's even the right question, to ask customers what the alcohol policy should be. It should be whatever makes the most business sense for RCI, considering all the factors like the effect on customer satisfaction, revenue, safety and liability. Most people are really answering more the question of what they would like for the policy to be.

For myself, I could care less about brining on liquor, but wouldn't mind bringing a special bottle of wine or two. But that's hardly an important facet of my vacation. Since I'm not supposed to do that, I'll just partake of what they have onboard.

Well thanks for that. What is nice about this board is that people can ask whatever question they want regardless of what others may think of it. And one can not dictate what another should or should not post.

Well thanks for that. What is nice about this board is that people can ask whatever question they want regardless of what others may think of it. And one can not dictate what another should or should not post.

Lighten up. I wasn't trying to dictate what anyone else posts; I was just giving my opinion. I think most people are answering in terms of the policy they would like to see, which is not necessarily the same as the way it should be.

I checked all five choices, just because I could. Plus, I don't think it's even the right question, to ask customers what the alcohol policy should be.

Dictate may have been a bit strong.. but read what you wrote. "I don't think it is even the right question to ask." And was a bold really required. Does that get your opinion across stronger?

Dictate may have been a bit strong.. but read what you wrote. "I don't think it is even the right question to ask." And was a bold really required. Does that get your opinion across stronger?

Not stronger. With the written word, you cannot use intonation to emphasize one word over others, so things like bold, italics or underlining help with the emphasis. It's to help convey a meaning, not necessarily make it stronger. ;) But I'll take your critique of my posting style into consideration.

Allow for purchase from RCCL cases of beer or bottles at a reasonable rate. yeah, I've heard the argument the prices are comparable to land based restaurants and bars, but those places don't have me locked away from other establishments.

$4 per beer $48 or more for a case of beer is pretty high, when your captive o their establishments... they could sell cases of domestics at $30, and everyone would see a benefit.

I voted "other" because I would like to go back to the old rules. Buy liquor in the duty free shop first night and pay a comsumption fee to take back to your cabin. And allow 2 bottles of wine pp to be carried on with a corkage fee if you take them to the dining room. We always used to do this.

...<snip> Plus, I don't think it's even the right question, to ask customers what the alcohol policy should be. It should be whatever makes the most business sense for RCI, considering all the factors like the effect on customer satisfaction, revenue, safety and liability. Most people are really answering more the question of what they would like for the policy to be.

That's okay you don't think it is the right question. As a person who chooses to take a cruise with RCI, I think it is important for others who feel the policy on alcohol may not be to their liking. By asking what people feel the alcohol policy should be, it allows cruises to voice their opinion as to what they would like the policy to be. Then if RCI is deciding on making a change, they are able to see what people feel the policy should be. It does not mean RCI should make the change. This poll just allows CC members to voice their opinions as to what they think it should.

My true preference concerning alclhol policy on cruise ships is all inclusive -- like Regent and Silversea. Your drink prices are included in the fare.

But in light of RCI's much lower fares, I know this is not possible. So the best possible thing for RCI to do would be to sell liquor, beer, and wine in their ships store for on-board consumption with a reasonable surcharge over duty free prices. If a passenger became drunk and disorderly, RCI could simply refuse to sell any more alcoholic beverages to that person (they already have a rule printed in their brochure permitting them to do this).

Since RCI doesn't enforce the rules they have now, what makes you think they would enforce this one? We've heard many stories about drunks on ships who create havoc and who aren't put off in the next port or even confined to their cabins.

I believe as another poster said, it is up to Royal Caribbean to set the policy and for the passengers to follow it. I personally don't understand this need to have alcohol in my room, when the bars are very convenient. I enjoyed visiting different bars on board the ship depending on time of day or what we wanted to drink. Bringing something back to your room is always an option.

Of all the options offered I like the option to buy a bottle of liquor at the duty free shop.

Not stronger. With the written word, you cannot use intonation to emphasize one word over others, so things like bold, italics or underlining help with the emphasis. It's to help convey a meaning, not necessarily make it stronger. ;) But I'll take your critique of my posting style into consideration.

Your posting style is just fine. :) But if you want to critique it.....:p ..just don't be too hard on yourself.

Since RCI doesn't enforce the rules they have now, what makes you think they would enforce this one? We've heard many stories about drunks on ships who create havoc and who aren't put off in the next port or even confined to their cabins.

Their rules do not require them to put anyone off at the next port. It's just kind of the ultimate punishment, if it should get to that. I don't know why some people seem to think that they're not enforcing rules, because they're not kicking people off the ship.

It's kind of like rules at my workplace. Almost every rule includes the phrase that failure to comply can result in disciplinary action up to and including termination. That doesn't mean they must fire you for every infraction in order to be enforcing the rules.

Their rules do not require them to put anyone off at the next port. It's just kind of the ultimate punishment, if it should get to that. I don't know why some people seem to think that they're not enforcing rules, because they're not kicking people off the ship.
How dare you try to interject a rational thought into an emotional discussion. Enough of that! :D

Just remember it is all about dollars, not alcohol, not attire, just dollars. Every rule that is made, every way it is, or is not, enforced is done so with the bottom line in mind. Now, their marketing people will spin it every way they can. But that is all it is, spin.

Oh and FWIW, I think your writing style is just fine too. I fully understood what you were trying to convey.

I checked "other" because c'mon....you know that no matter WHAT their policy is, everyone is going to continue to break it and keep pushing it. If they allowed you to bring one bottle, people would bring 5. I'm just going to keep buying liquor onboard because I don't think they charge an astronomical amount of $$ for booze and I'd rather not risk soaking my luggage w/alcohol or be worried about it getting confiscated.....and if I want liquor in the room I can just stop at one of the bars or call room service. Am I the only one that thinks like this? :o

Laura

No you are not. I totally agree with you on all points. by the way you are also another one who does not think they charge too much. You get A very generous pour for the money, and beer is reasonable too, there really should not be all the complaining. I have asked several times on several posts, when people say it is too expensive, and I say Compared to what??

I can just see it -- Super Nanny rummaging through my bags to find a bottle of spirit. You've broken the rules, very NAUGHTY!!!

This is my first cruise, and I'm sure it will be my last on one of these commercial lines... My vacations are to break away from rules and conformity, not to be hitched with dozens more!!!

Viva la revolucion - Muerte a la Nanny!!!

supernanny_narrowweb__200x352.jpg

Its a bummer that we currently cannot take alcohol on board...but really...not the end of the world...besides, why would any of the cruise lines limit their revenue by allowing you to bring it yourself...you'll either drink what they have or not at all...a change would be nice, but I dont expect it to happen

Its a bummer that we currently cannot take alcohol on board...but really...not the end of the world...besides, why would any of the cruise lines limit their revenue by allowing you to bring it yourself...you'll either drink what they have or not at all...a change would be nice, but I dont expect it to happen

I agree. The whiners can carry on about no booze, it is not like there is none to be had. times will keep changing, and so cruise policies.

Oh I have brought my own on every cruise I have ever taken... except for when RCI allowed me to buy it on board. And I have still had a very good bar bill. They have not lost a cent on me. I don't understand why some are so uptight that others might want to have a drink in their cabin before heading out to dinner. At home, do you head down to Johnny's Bar while getting dressed to meet friends out for dinner to have a cocktail? How practical! And if you simply don't drink, why must you impose your ideas on those of us who enjoy a relaxing drink?

And I love the comment that implied all alcohol related incidents must be due to someone smuggling too much booze on board. I've witnessed plenty of incidents at bars on ships where the person got drunk and caused a problem by consuming only drinks from the ship. People who are prone to cause problems have a problem, and they'll drink to excess no matter where it comes from.

I will follow RCI's rules, but I can still think it is oppressive.

I like Hal's and Princess' approach. You can bring wine aboard and purchase liquor if you wish from room service. My wife and I enjoy a sip of good wine in our cabin before dinner but we will have to forgo that with RCCL. We probably won't drink at all on our upcoming cruise with RCCL but probably won't miss it much. We think that their policy has nothing to do with people getting loaded on board because there is plenty of opportunity to do so in the copious bars on board. We think this is purely a profit driven policy which may allow the line to be more competitive in it's pricing. This is a good deal for non drinkers but costly for those who enjoy having a sip on their holidays. Just my two cents.

Andy

Archived