RCCL Dress Code - Dining

Rx819

I'm trying to determine without exception what is acceptable and not acceptable for dining, for both me and my dh. We do not want to have to dress up every night for dining. While we feel we always dress appropriately, clean and neat, that attire may include shorts, a suitable top and sandals or sneakers. We both work in jobs that require "dressing up" on a daily basis and this isn't our idea of a vacation. We would like to eat in the main dining room at least a couple of times, but, if that means getting dressed up, slacks, dress, etc., we will probably utilize our other options...if there are options???

We are leaving on the Liberty of the Seas on October 6th. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks!

Paula

If you don't wish to dress for the dining room you can utilize room service, or go to the Windjammer.

If you scroll through recent threads, it might take one or two pages, you will find many threads about dress codes.

I hope this reply is approved by the board nannies.:)

Sorry but in the Liberty compass they ask for "no shorts" in the dining room.

The Windjammer would be your other option (or Cafe Promenade, or Sorrento's) And when we were on Freedom, there was a "surf night"...so there were people wearing shorts in the DR on that night.

The above posters are correct. You can not wear shorts in the dining room for dinner. You can wear them for breakfast and lunch. But you can still be casual and comfortable without wearing shorts.

p.s. There will also be 2 formal nights. If you don't wish to dress formal, you can eat in windjammer in your shorts. That is what I plan on doing next time. I am over formal night. lol. But you can also eat in Chops or Portofino on formal nights, and dress casual to smart casual. No shorts in their either. Have fun.

Whenever I see a new thread regarding the proper dress for the dining room, I'm always inclined to break out my flame-retardent suit...this is a topic that rightly of interest to many people, but also unfortunately draws a lot of passion from all sides.

Michael

Paula, per RCCI

For formal nights you'll need cocktail dresses for women, suits and ties - or tuxedos - for men. And for the smart casual nights bring dresses or pantsuit for women, jackets for men.

Remember, shorts, T-shirts, and bathing suits are not considered appropriate attire in the dining rooms at dinner. Casual dress dining is available nightly in the Windjammer Cafe. And be aware you'll also need smart casual attire for some of our specialty restaurants.

have a great time

we just got off the liberty a few weeks back. I would not say you have to wear a dress every night. The 2 formal nights, evening wear is required but the other night you can get away with a nice pair of capris and a nice tank or bloussy top. and your dh, a simple pair of slacks with a nice shirt. You can do the dining room one night and the wj the next and wear the same outfit on the dining room nights... no one will know or care for that matter. I would not recommend shorts for the dining room. The WJ does put out a nice spread of food and if you really want to not dress and wear shorts, I recommend going there and being as comfy as you want.

JMO... have a great cruise!:D

this might be a repeat but,----everything posted so far is true. but do remember, please, please no jeans in the dining room during the evening meal.......:eek: :eek: :eek:

Do you work for RCCL? Then please keep that as an opinion, since it is not a fact.

Jeans ARE allowed in the dining room on casual nights. As a matter of fact, there was recently a interview by cruise news daily and they polled all the major cruise lines. All of them, with the exception of Cunard, said jeans WERE allowed in the dining room on casual nights. Even some of the ones you would not expect it from even said yes. So it seems that this arguement has been put to rest now.

this might be a repeat but,----everything posted so far is true. but do remember, please, please no jeans in the dining room during the evening meal.......:eek: :eek: :eek:

Do you work for RCCL? Then please keep that as an opinion, since it is not a fact.

Jeans ARE allowed in the dining room on casual nights. As a matter of fact, there was recently a interview by cruise news daily and they polled all the major cruise lines. All of them, with the exception of Cunard, said jeans WERE allowed in the dining room on casual nights. Even some of the ones you would not expect it from even said yes. So it seems that this arguement has been put to rest now.

Don't think that phish tales post is opinion or fact, it's more likely trolling. Jeans are allowed every night, you can probably get away with shorts every night, depends on whether or not you would feel out of place and whether or not the Maitre' d is paying attention (or cares).

If you really want to know what is acceptable without exception, then I would point you to the suggested dress code posted on the RCL web site, www.rccl.com, then go to Customer Support > Frequently Asked Questions > Life Onboard > What are the dress codes onboard. Don't know if that helps, I hope it does.

we just got off the liberty a few weeks back. I would not say you have to wear a dress every night. The 2 formal nights, evening wear is required but the other night you can get away with a nice pair of capris and a nice tank or bloussy top. and your dh, a simple pair of slacks with a nice shirt. You can do the dining room one night and the wj the next and wear the same outfit on the dining room nights... no one will know or care for that matter. I would not recommend shorts for the dining room. The WJ does put out a nice spread of food and if you really want to not dress and wear shorts, I recommend going there and being as comfy as you want.

JMO... have a great cruise!:D

Ditto - most average nights I wore capris, nice sandals (not sport sandals), and a nice top (not a sporty t-shirt). DH wore a golf shirt and khakis - no shorts. I would say that we were about average dress - most others wore about the same, some were dressed much more nicely, some (fewer) much more casually.

I would agree that you do not have to dress up every day in the dining room. On casual nights, I often work a skort (looked like a skirt) and nice blouse or top or a sun dress both with nice sandals. My DH wore khakis and a golf shirt. Although on our last cruise, I forgot all his golf shirts so the first two night he had to wear a t-shirt until we bought him a shirt. No one said anything or noticed.

Also, if you want the food being served in the dining room, you can order it from room service during the dinner hours.

Remember that there will almost always be people more dress up and less dressed up no matter how you dress.

Happy Cruising.

Mary

Aside from the 1st evening, when many folks don't yet have their luggage, I haven't seen shorts in the dining room for dinner. A NICE pair of jeans, (not torn, raggedy ones!) with a nice top and heels (for women) are fine, but that's an uncomfortable material in the Caribbean! A light cotton twill is much more comfortable!s

There are cruiselines that don't have "dressing up" as a part of the cruise experience, because there are folks who simply don't want to dress up! they are the ones who utilize those cruiselines!

I mean, you wouldn't accept an invitation to a "black-tie" affair, if you had no intention of wearing "black-tie" appropriate clothing! Same thing on a cruise. You check the rules and guidelines BEFORE you choose the cruiseline! (At least, you SHOULD!!!!) Then you will know if that particular line is right for you!

I'm trying to determine without exception what is acceptable and not acceptable for dining, for both me and my dh. We do not want to have to dress up every night for dining. While we feel we always dress appropriately, clean and neat, that attire may include shorts, a suitable top and sandals or sneakers. We both work in jobs that require "dressing up" on a daily basis and this isn't our idea of a vacation. We would like to eat in the main dining room at least a couple of times, but, if that means getting dressed up, slacks, dress, etc., we will probably utilize our other options...if there are options???

We are leaving on the Liberty of the Seas on October 6th. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks!

Paula

Are capris acceptable (longer dressy ones that I would wear for work)?

Hi Paula,

We just returned from Liberty and you are about to have the adventure of a lifetime! She is a magnificent ship.

I'm trying to determine without exception what is acceptable and not acceptable for dining, for both me and my dh.

The thing is.... you will never determine something like this "without exception". There are guidelines, but that doesn't mean every single passenger will follow them. Personally, on casual evenings I wore a skirt and simple top, or my capri pants and simple top. The two formal evenings I wore black dress pants and different sparkly tops. DH and DS always wore long pants and neat shirts for dinner in the Dining Room, and a suit and tie each formal night.

The thing about wardrobe is that, in my opinion, some people worry far too much about what is OK or not OK. There are guidelines set up by RCI; we are guests of theirs and we choose to observe the guidelines. What is acceptable to one person is not to another - this is why you cannot determine this "without exception".

Please don't be overly concerned about it; if you take some neat and clean casual clothing, plus something more dressy for Formal Nights (should you choose to observe them in the DR), I'm confident you will both be very comfortable onboard.

Have a great time!

~Karen

RCCL has gone from smart casual to just casual. To me that means everything goes. Just off the Freedom on Sunday and in all of my cruises there were more jeans than I have ever seen on any cruise for dinner. Even on formal night I saw jeans.

Archived