Current London hotel dilemma

It's still almost a year away...but here's the "early" dilemma...

We are thinking of staying over two nights after our Baltic in London...

Celebrity is offering:

>>2 night post

City Inn West Minster - $445.00 per person

Grosvenor House - $650.00 per person

3 night post

City Inn W. Minster - $530.00 per person

Grosvenor House - $936.00 per person

Kensington Forum - $530.00 per person

Transfers from pier to hotel are included only.<<

London has an unreal 17.5% hotel tax. The hotel we stayed in last couple of times, the "Rubens at the Palace", wants 159 GBP per night (of course, that includes a great breakfast buffet)...but, with that tax, that comes out to approximately $747 US for 2 nights...the train from Harwich to London runs about 15 GBP one way pp...so that's another $60...add in about 30 or 40 for a taxi from wherever that leaves us and it's getting pretty close...Figure $847...

But, for $890, we don't have to hassle with trains and taxis...Celebrity does the work...

But, we've also got a reservation at the Radisson Edwardian Kenilworth (I'm not that thrilled about the hotel, but it's probably okay) for 95 GBP per night...which, with tax, comes out to only about $423 US for two nights...add in that $100 for transportation and we're at around a $353 difference...which is quite sizable...

Is the City Inn nicer...better located...etc.?

And, of course, we've got about a year to keep on the lookout for other options...

What does everyone think? Thanks...

Celebrity is offering:

>>2 night post

3 night post

London has an unreal 17.5% hotel tax. The hotel we stayed in last couple of times, the "Rubens at the Palace", wants 159 GBP per night (of course, that includes a great breakfast buffet)...but, with that tax, that comes out to approximately $747 US for 2 nights...the train from Harwich to London runs about 15 GBP one way pp...so that's another $60...add in about 30 or 40 for a taxi from wherever that leaves us and it's getting pretty close...Figure $847...

But, for $890, we don't have to hassle with trains and taxis...Celebrity does the work...

But, we've also got a reservation at the Radisson Edwardian Kenilworth (I'm not that thrilled about the hotel, but it's probably okay) for 95 GBP per night...which, with tax, comes out to only about $423 US for two nights...add in that $100 for transportation and we're at around a $353 difference...which is quite sizable...

And, of course, we've got about a year to keep on the lookout for other options...

ANything in Westminster is close to all the action in London its near either big ben or chelsea or victoria that is the area of westminster. The Grosvenor hotel if its the one at Victoria station then say NO its part of the station and you can hear the trains one of the busiest stations in London, If its the Grosvenor hotel in mayfair its really nice on grosvenor square next to the American embassy.

Celebrity is offering:

>>2 night post

3 night post

London doesn't have a hotel tax - the 17.5% you're talking about is value added tax, which is added to (more or less) everything. Unlike sales tax in the US (it's the same type of thing) the normal thing to do is to quote prices inclusive of VAT, but not all hotels do.

The Kenilworth is a bit of a dive. Not worth the money - but I'm not really sure what to suggest in its place. I never really stay in London unless it is the Savoy - or a real cheapo after a late night do in London - but then we only live 70 minutes away from St. Pancras.

My experience of hotels that I've been sent to with work, and that my wife has been sent to with work, is that I'd choose NONE of them for a night away.

On the other hand you're probably more interested in position than anything else - and the Kenilworth level is perfectly acceptable in terms of cleanliness. It's just hugely overpriced and anonymous.

Matthew

Try the Holiday Inn website and look at the price for H.I Bloomsbury (not H.I Kings Cross Bloomsbury) For 2 nights you just might get a good price and its comfortable and clean as well as being handy for sightseeing. If it's a weekend, try Club Quarters - a good hotel next to St.Paul's Cathedral - sorry don't have web address but you'll find it on Google. Also try googling "The Rookery" - a very striking and unique hotel not far from St. Pauls where you will pay per room (approx £140 per night.) A budget hotel near Victoria that we have used on occasion is Holiday Inn Express - clean, comfortable and has breakfast included in the cost - pay per room not per person. Thistle Charing Cross is another good hotel (very near Trafalgar Square) but not sure of current prices. Could be worth a google though !!

I agree with Matthew re the Kenilworth - not all that good.

Where the cruislines get you is the PER PERSON so in essence you are paying twice for the room when if you book yourself you pay for just THE room even with the VAt which generally is included in the price you see not added on to the price.If you could just get the transfers it would help.but again per person when you figured it out for the both of you not per person.I would continue to check out some of the hotels mentioned in the thread and/or on your own and maybe through a US 800 number where you can pay in US dollars.Guess it comes down to what makes you comfortable.Just my take as an American going to Europe,and deciding on the ship's pre and post or doing it on my own. I just booked a trip to Paris for a week in Nov.amd broke it down,and managed to save some money,but then again it is waaay out of season(which is why I booked it),and when breaking it down separating the air and the hotel etc. it came out less booking as a package and paying in US dollars.Well,thgis is more than you needed to knwo:) .....

Try the Holiday Inn website and look at the price for H.I Bloomsbury (not H.I Kings Cross Bloomsbury) For 2 nights you just might get a good price and its comfortable and clean as well as being handy for sightseeing...I agree with Matthew re the Kenilworth - not all that good.

First, thanks to all for the advice...

I just checked out the Holiday Inn Bloomsbury and can get it for my dates--August 2 and 3, 2008 for a mere £82 per night...£13 per night savings over the Kenilworth...

Is it truly nicer? Never sure about Holiday Inns...Certainly a big savings over the City Inn or the Rubens...

I guess my other concern with it being August and all is Air Conditioning...I take it this Holiday Inn is air conditioned?

You could try the Premier Travel Inn County Hall - at 99 pounds per room per night plus 7.50GBP for breakfast . I believe it is fairly basic accommodation but position is great , right next to London Eye, and walking distance to Big Ben, Houses of Parliament, Westminister Abbey etc. Also very close to Waterloo station - easy walk, and Westminister Underground. It has excellent reviews on the tripadvisor website.

Be very careful about the a/c. For example, the Premier Travel Inn County Hall is about as perfectly located as you could get (IMHO), but to the best of my knowledge it is not air conditioned. Many of the less expensive hotels are not. Some say they have air conditioning, but on further examination, it's only the "public rooms". I've wondered if everyone camps in the lobby on particularly hot nights?:eek:

Check out reports on TripAdvisor.com. Most of those written in the warm months will report whether there is a/c in the rooms and whether it works well - or not.

Good luck! :)

Be very careful about the a/c. For example, the Premier Travel Inn County Hall is about as perfectly located as you could get (IMHO), but to the best of my knowledge it is not air conditioned. Many of the less expensive hotels are not. Some say they have air conditioning, but on further examination, it's only the "public rooms". I've wondered if everyone camps in the lobby on particularly hot nights?:eek:

Check out reports on TripAdvisor.com. Most of those written in the warm months will report whether there is a/c in the rooms and whether it works well - or not.

Good luck! :)

We have just returned from a Baltic cruise on Holland America which also ported in Harwich. We took the cruise line bus transfer which dropped us off at Victoria Coach Terminal. Last January I bid for the Rubens on Luxury Link...got 3 nights for $700.00 for a Superior King with breakfast every morning , canapes every night, and a champagne high tea. When we went to check in we were upgraded to a suite. The coach terminal was just 4 blocks away, the train station 2 blocks away, the underground a block away and the hop on hop off bus was just around the corner. We went to see Wicked which was also just a couple of blocks away. This is a wonderful location and if Luxury Link is still promoting the Rubens I'd definitely try a bid.

We just booked rooms on Priceline. I'd go to biddingfortravel first. That will give you an idea of what rate is being accepted at which hotel. I got a 4star hotel Marriott Renaissance in Amsterdam for $132 and a 4star in Dublin for $125. Both king beds, etc. Also look up the Thistle chain. We got great rooms with breakfast for about $125. But, that was an internet special. Good luck!

London has an unreal 17.5% hotel tax.
Just for comparison, if you stay in hotels of this type in New York City, the total tax rate is almost 21%. Here, you are only charged our normal sales tax of 17.5%, which is what you are seeing.

As for hotels, getting any decent hotel in London for only £95 per room per night is a pretty good deal. And the Kenilworth is, overall, no worse placed for the sights than the City Inn Westminster - it's closer to some sights and further away from others.

Bruin Steve: you may have already read all of my info before, because I've posted it several times, but here goes:

We stayed in Victoria London, about 4 blocks from our hotel, the Luna and Simone. Check the latest tripadvisor.com reviews on it, but we were very, very, very impressed with it. The cost was 80 GBP per night (including all VAT and fees), including a very nice breakfast and free internet. The staff are terrific, and they have transportation available, but you'd have to call them and see if it's to/from Harwich. Also, check National Express Bus, which is what we took to/from Heathrow-Victoria-Victoria-Southampton. The buses are very comfortable, efficient, and funfares/senior fares are really cheap. See if they have a funfare from Victoria Central to Harwich.

The hotel has fans in all their rooms, but I don't know about a/c. Check the review for those who stayed in the summer.

Good luck!

Steve,

Sorry not to get back to you straight away - have just got back from London. Regarding your query about H.I. Bloomsbury - I think the air conditioning is just public rooms as I recall. Perhaps someone can help us out here? It's a good location and very comfortable - at least we found it to be so although weren't there in the height of the summer. The price you have been quoted is an excellent one and if it's only for 2 nights then I would be tempted to give it a try. The Thistle Charing Cross is another lovely hotel and you can request air conditioned rooms here. You couldn't get a more centrally placed hotel - very convenient.It would be worth checking them on Trip Advisor etc.

Archived