Email on a budget

Email is the cheapest way to stay in touch while on the ship, but they charge by the minute of internet connect time. If you use their computers, they have all applications locked out, except the internet browser. That means you're forced to type your emails from inside the browser while racking up 50 cents / minute, or more (depending on the time plan you've purchased). A cheaper alternative is to bring your own laptop, where you can type your outgoing messages (and read your incoming) 'offline' and then just connect to send and receive emails. If you plan to do this, make sure you have Outlook Express, or some other email client installed, or a method where you can store and receive your messages on your computer, rather on your provider's email server. On a security note, don't plan on doing any financial transactions, as the wireless connection is unsecure. And don't do any wireless work while docked at a port - you may have some foreign hacker sitting in a warehouse at the shipping yard monitoring you.

If you don't have a laptop - here's a clever way to avoid internet connect charges while you type. As I mentioned, all applications are usually locked out, except the browser. So, before you log in and start accruing per minute charges, put your cursor up on the address line of the browser - where you normally see http://etc... and type the body of your email. You'll get to the end of the window, but that's ok, just keep typing and it will scroll. When you're done, highlight the whole string of text that you've typed, and hit Ctrl-C (to copy it into the buffer). Now go ahead and go through their login procedure, sign on to your email service provider, set up to create a new message, and when you get to the window where you type the body of your message, hit Ctrl-V (paste), and there's your message. You can quickly embellish it, add paragraph spacing or whatever, send it, and sign off. I've sent lengthly messages using this procedure with only 1 minute connect time!

Because you can doesn't make it right or moral.

A charge of $0.50 per minute is immoral. Locking out other aps so you can not use them is immoral.

Doing what you can to avoid immoral charges is called "getting back at them".

DON

I don't in anyway see this idea as immoral or unethical. In fact, I just used the exact same method to go back and check the original post to see whether it instructed to copy and paste something else (besides the "entire" e-mail) just before logging off. If you don't, the next person could possibly CTRL+V your entire e-mail.

Judge Learned Hand once said, "There is nothing sinister in so arranging one's affairs as to keep taxes as low as possible." Why pay more than you should for anything?

If using an inherent feature in a Microsoft operating system to save some money on using a cruise line's computer use rates (which I can understand the supply and demand of) is immoral or unethical, then I guess I'm going to reserve my spot in My Red Hades. :D

A charge of $0.50 per minute is immoral. Locking out other aps so you can not use them is immoral.

Doing what you can to avoid immoral charges is called "getting back at them".

DON

I'd disagree here that the fees are immoral. I use a VOIP carrier that lets me call a lot of countries for free. (Almost all of Europe is free.) Inmarsat is $6.80/minute with my provider. Calls to shore from Carnival ships are $6.99/minute, attempts to connect chargable.

That isn't immoral, that's capitalism. I can say a lot in 1 minute for $7/minute.

Using copy and paste to write an e-mail is, in my opinion, like haggling.

It ain't cheap shooting our voices or data up into the sky and relaying it back to Earth. But finding a way to minimize that cost is great.

How about leaving the darn thing home, and enjoying your cruise? Much as we'd like to think we're indispensible, everyone back home can survive without us for a week (yes, even the office). For emergencies, there are ship-to-shore telephones.

There is no sadder sight on a cruiseship than someone hunched over a computer.

How about leaving the darn thing home, and enjoying your cruise? Much as we'd like to think we're indispensible, everyone back home can survive without us for a week (yes, even the office). For emergencies, there are ship-to-shore telephones.

:rolleyes:

Like food on a cruise ship... everything in moderation is a good rule. But I can tell you that having a computer on our last cruise (our honeymoon cruise no less :eek:) paid us dividends for several future cruise fares.

We left on our cruise having my wife's old house on the market, and no prospects in sight. While on the cruise, we received an offer, negotiated several counter offers, arrived at a deal, and opened escrow. This was just before the real estate market tanked.

Had we not been able to sell when we did, we would have lost money. Sure we could have used the ship's fax ($3 / page) and ship-to-shore phone ($9/min) to accomplish the same, but the money was better spent on a celebratory bottle of champagne once we sealed the deal! :cool:

What you perceive to be a sad sight, is actually bringing smiles to my family back home! I always take my laptop, download my pictures daily, and send an e-mail to my extended family and friends back home. Family and friends from 5 to 80 years old followed our trip. They LOVE the updates and pictures ,and they love knowing that they can communicate with us if they like. I type my e-mail, log on, hit send/receive, log off and share. One laptop= many happy people! :)

And JJinVista....good idea! I will share that with my sons!

I might agree if it were work related reasons but keeping in touch with the kids and reserving return air seats I think are great reasons to go online.

A cheaper alternative is to bring your own laptop, where you can type your outgoing messages (and read your incoming) 'offline' and then just connect to send and receive emails. If you plan to do this, make sure you have Outlook Express, or some other email client installed, or a method where you can store and receive your messages on your computer, rather on your provider's email server.

Just curious ..how does your computer connect to your ISP when at sea??

I tried to download my mail this year and got a message about needing my ISP server.

I use eudora as a mail reader

:D Hooray, best quote I have seen for days. I might just take you up on that and leave the phone at home.:D

You know, some of us have responsibilities that we can't just forget about for seven days. I have four of them, and I want to know that my girls are OK and that Grandma has a way to ask any questions. So I will take my cell and my computer. And I will probably spend about .75 a day to check my email and send a quick letter to my children. I don't see anything sad about that!

• 2 months later...
Just curious ..how does your computer connect to your ISP when at sea??

I tried to download my mail this year and got a message about needing my ISP server.

I use eudora as a mail reader

LHT, if you're using an email client like Eudora, your incoming mail still comes from your home ISP SMTP server, but your outgoing mail has to go through the ship's ISP. This is inherent in how POP3 (outgoing) mail servers work. The outgoing mail may have a problem if the ISP on the ship has chosen to restrict outgoing emails (usually in response to spammers abusing the outgoing mail resources).

Some ships may have this restriction, but still accomodate you by providing a POP3 (outgoing email server) account in which you can "authenticate" your outgoing email with an account and password. Your email still bears your email address as the sender, but the authentication allows you to use their POP3 server to send.

If this is confusing :confused: or too much bother to set up :eek:, use an internet portal / interface for your email while you're on the ship, rather than a client. Most ISPs provide such an interface for example if you're checking in from a public computer. :cool:

I do a internet cafe in the ports. way way cheaper and I can type as slow as I like without worrying about the cost.

Good suggestion!

In November 2007, I found a great place in Puerto Vallarta... $3 for 30 minutes online, which included a cold Pacifico, and a shot of Tequilla! :p

I believe it was near City Hall (Presidencia Municipal) from the corner of Independencia & Juarez, about 1/2 block E on Independencia.

?? What is not "right or moral" about getting your typing prepared and ready to send in an email? Wow, the view must be great from up there on your high horse

Agreed! I have been scratching my head all through this post after that comment. You are paying for what you use, and you are not using it until you log on. C'mon!

There's nothing immoral about composing one's thoughts in a word processing document, then transferring them to an email program.

Although the suggestion here is to use the address bar to write everything down as one does not have access to MS Word, Notepad, Wordpad type programs, I will have to agree here. If no one else is waiting to use that computer, no harm no foul. Just like going to a restaurant on land. Someone sits down for two hours chatting with their friends and all they order is coffee versus someone having a full course meal.

No, if someone was bypassing the system in order to get online without having to pay for the use of the Internet, then that is a different story.

Although the suggestion here is to use the address bar to write everything down as one does not have access to MS Word, Notepad, Wordpad type programs, I will have to agree here. If no one else is waiting to use that computer, no harm no foul.

There's no difference in typing your email in an address bar or on an email even if there is someone waiting to use the computer. Either way you are going to be typing the same information...

Archived