September 1 Azamara Journey

Jancruz

Hi Jan,

Just to correct you. We were not accompanied by 7 executives of Azamara on our August 25 voyage on the Journey. It was simply an invitation on the part of Azamara to a few of their top agencies to experience the ship during a seminar at sea. In fact, none of the Azamara staff knew we were agents unless we specifically told them. This way we were able to objectively review the ship.

I guess you are a lot more detail oriented that I am as we do not go around looking for specifc problems i.e. scratches or imperfections. In fact not one of our group of 26 agents even mentioned that as a problem when we were comparing notes.

By the way, the butlers/room stewards are nothing more than regular room stewards dressed in tails. I don't believe that they go through the rigorous training to become a butler as do Oceania's butlers or the butlers on other Celebrity ships. None of our group was overly impressed with their "butlers."

As for your comments regarding the cleanliness of the ship and that someone should be carrying a large bottle of windex and a mop around with them, we really didn't see anything that jumped out at us other than the first day of the cruise when the staff was running around cleaning between the debarking and embarking guests.

As for the quality of the art on the ship, I agree with you that some of it is unusual, however art is also a very subjective area and what may appear like junk to one person may be quality art to another. None of the other agents I was with mentioned a problem with the art although some did find some pieces strange.

The T-pool was working fine on the two days we used it. In fact, we were the only ones using it while we were there. We did not try the other pools.

As for Boutique C, the jewelery display located in the lobby, I didn't even notice it until I went looking for it. It is not an "in your face" shop. It is a tastefull display that is tucked out of the way against a wall to left of the boarding gangway. I did find it strange to see a display there and agree with you that it does seem out of place.

As for the library, I don't know why you hate it. We all thought it looked fine although they need to stock it better as there was not a good selection of books. Incorporating Michaels Club into it and having high-tea there was a bit odd. Although Azamara indicated a dress code for high tea, is was not observed by many who came in wearing bathing suits or shorts. We mentioned this to the hotel manager and he said they would make sure the dress code is adhered to on future cruises.

Unless you ordered coffee with your meal, we found the cofee bitter at most self-service locations. Needless to say the coffee at Cova Cafe was very good but then again, you had to pay for it. I thought the waffles and pizza were just ok and that they are much better on Oceania. As you indicated, the deserts are to die for!

Anyhow, I hope that you enjoy the remainder of your cruise. Hope to see you soon on the Quest inaugural.

Mr. Bill CEO

The more reviews I read about Azamara, the more I am confused.

Putting Room Stewards in tails doesn't make them butlers....the only potable coffee on the ship they charge passengers to drink....and specialty restaurants that are included in the fare with their direct competitor are extra on Azamara. Now I know why our Oceania cruise is sold out over 16 months in advance!

That said, we may find the room stewards of high standard, the coffe to our liking and at least we get 2 dinners included for paying for a Suite.

The only way to know for cetain is to experience the AZAMARA first hand...and only a few weeks before we sail.

Also, recent postings allude to selective enforcement of the smoking policy and casual dress code. Telling passengers that they will enforce it on future cruises is a rather unusual approach to marketing, just as the "work in progress" excuse is growing tired.

Do these people think they can continue to play this game and gain market share from Oceania?

Jan-I imagine many of the nicks and scratches happened during the renovation of the ship and the notorious quick turn around for the Bermuda cruises left no time to repair them. Hopefully, there will be greater attention to detail when the Quest gets its facelift.

Nope. those nicks and scratches... had been there a long time. The cocktail table in our otherwise redone room had approx 1/3 of the tabletop finish scratched or peeled off. I dealt with the eyesore by placing my beachbag on the table.

The banquette in the Looking Glas lounge, port side. just as you enter..is faded red material... and ripped... and has been that way.... for quite some time.

The bathrooms - except for those in the Sky Suites - are obviously original vintage Ren.

[The art hanging on the ship looks like a child picked it out there is no thought behind the pieces at all and on top of that they are ugly..Azamara should hire Frank Delrio to shop for them..:-)

We were on the Nautica (11/15/06), sailed "Renn." twice, loved the decor. Classy and elegant. Will be on Quest 12/8/07, and am hoping they got another decorator to do the interior, from the Journey one. We've seen the photos, from that strange giant necklace on the Grand Staircase, to the ultra modern artwork seen in photos, hanging in lounges that look like English Manor Houses, It has mystified me WHY did they do that to these ships??? They look SO tacky!!! I realize they are trying to set their own style BUT still!!! Are they trying to look glitzy like the rest of the fleet of mass market ships??? Will still enjoy our cruise I'm sure, but sounds like will miss the "O" ambiance.:(

[The art hanging on the ship looks like a child picked it out there is no thought behind the pieces at all and on top of that they are ugly..Azamara should hire Frank Delrio to shop for them..:-)

We were on the Nautica (11/15/06)' date=' sailed "Renn." twice, loved the decor. Classy and elegant. Will be on Quest 12/8/07, and am hoping they got another decorator to do the interior, from the Journey one. We've seen the photos, from that strange [b']giant necklace[/b] on the Grand Staircase, to the ultra modern artwork seen in photos, hanging in lounges that look like English Manor Houses, It has mystified me WHY did they do that to these ships??? They look SO tacky!!! I realize they are trying to set their own style BUT still!!! Are they trying to look glitzy like the rest of the fleet of mass market ships??? Will still enjoy our cruise I'm sure, but sounds like will miss the "O" ambiance.:(

Well, it's not Ren and it's not Oceania......it's Azamara.....and really there is nothing blatant that shouts at you in bad taste like there is on the Celebrity ships.

Art & decor are certainly a matter of personal taste. The Ritz Carlton look of these R ships can be overwhelming. After a couple of years Oceania began to modify and ameliorate the decor of its ships somewhat (the big suites have a faux-Empire style) and it is even possible to now find R-C hotels without the English Country style. I've never seen anything on a Celebrity ship (art-wise) that I would consider in bad taste (odd-yes).

I will repeat what I started with on my last post

I am doing these posts as a direct comparison to Oceania Cruises

Mr. Bill I do believe you were on the cruise with about 7 executives from Azamara and if your cruise wasnt the best..I would have been very surprised!!

There are a lot more than a few scratches on the wood..if you look closely as we did..it is in every area! Looking forward to that drink..get ready!!! LOL

I stand by my comments on the cleanliness..someone on this ship needs to take a VERY large bottle of windex and a mop to clean up the ship..I was on the pre-inaugural and the inaugural of Regatta and it was in much better shape(though to be truthful it was a few years newer) ..I know FDR would not have let his ship sail looking like this.

The art hanging on the ship looks like a child picked it out there is no thought behind the pieces at all and on top of that they are ugly..Azamara should hire Frank Delrio to shop for them..:-)

For the last 3 days the 2 spas have not worked (not hot and no jets)

The smell of smoke is still permeating deck 7..

That being said..on the really good side..the food is good, presentation lovely not too fancy but really nice and tasty (I dont like spicy food, so maybe that is why I like it so much)...

We had a party for clients last night and it was wonderful..The service was outstanding and all the help was funny and nice ..

We have been working with Patricia front office manager and she is extremely helpful..

We have an appointment Friday with the hotel manager and I will bring up all of my concerns and yours and also ask about when all these gliches should be fixed.I too feel if you are paying for "ultra Premium " the ship should be finished and not a work in progress which I have been it is told over and over..

On the flip side we are having a great time..I find many more activities on this ship than Oceania and you can be busy all day even when we are in port.

I am still having breakfast in my cabin and enjoying it although this morning they did forget my orange juice..since I had ordered a large breakfast I didnt ask about the oversight..I find the staff on the ship to be wonderful..happy, laughing pleasant and we really have been having fun with them.

I told you that the front office had not sent gifts to my clients..well they finally did..THREE TIMES..and said from Mary instead of Marcy..little things but isnt it the little things that make the trip?

It is raining here so I am about to high tail it back to Front Street to shop..

I want to reiterate, we are having a wonderful time (as we always do) and I would come back on the ship..when all the problems are corrected..if for nothing else for the wonderful people we have met!!

Last comments:

I love Cova Cafe

I hate what they did to the library.

I love the waffles and Pizza

I hate what they did to the lobby with another jeweley shop

I love the desserts

I hate the coffee

Thats it for now..more tomorrow!!

Regards,

Jan

Jan, I was on the August 25th sailing, would like to know what 7 excutives where there. I was on a seminar and I think if there was 7 excutives onboard my rep would have know.

The cruise was not perfect there was some issues. Our cabins where actually on the same floor as the crew my guess is you would have had a big issue with that. It seems you went on the ship to pick it apart. Stains on the carpet, well that came from the slobs who spilled stuff on them. The art work was being replaced so yes they may have not filled in the holes yet. You may not like the art work but maybe others do. There are other changes coming because it is a work in progress, so it is not perfect. We did not run to the hotel manager and believe me we had major complaints which where much worse that yours

So let me know which excutives where onboardd I would like to know.

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your reports. I really appreciate your honest views. Please let us know more about the smoking issue. I am willing to pay more for a less smokey ship but I do expect to be getting what I pay for. Do you think Azamara is worth anymore money than the other Celebrity ships? It sure does not seem to have the same value as Oceania.

I know you are enjoying your cruise and again thanks for YOUR views.

Steve

I am especially interested in the odor of smoke that the OP reported. Does that mean passengers are smoking in prohibited areas or that the odor is still left over from pre-Azamara days? Not dealing with smoke/smoke odor was my primary reason for booking this cruiseline.

Tell me it ain't so.

Sharon

I am especially interested in the odor of smoke that the OP reported. Does that mean passengers are smoking in prohibited areas or that the odor is still left over from pre-Azamara days? Not dealing with smoke/smoke odor was my primary reason for booking this cruiseline.

Tell me it ain't so.

Sharon

I think they need to move the pool area smoking to the aft deck area behind the buffet. When the door opens, the smoke is sucked inside. If they move the area aft... while the ship is underway, the smoke would be pulled away.

Other than that there isn't any odor left over from the pre-Azamara days. You do notice the cleaner smell when you board the ship.

My Dw and I found the same on our Jouney cruise last May. Not really "dirty" per say but untidy might be a better term..

We hadda' laugh as on the first morning there was a very senior couple complaining to an officer about the plates left on outdoor tables and cigarette butts on the decks.

:o

Hi all,

Left Bermuda yesterday and it was a little rough but really a nice sail away..

Had a most wonderful dinner in Aqualina last night I had rack of lamb and it was outstanding and the rest of the girls had Sea Bass and they said it was wonderful.

We had dinner with the Hotel Manager who is delightful..we did not talk business as we have a meeting this morning and I will bring up all the concerns you all have in addition to ours so I probably wont write again from the ship but will be back in California tomorrow night and will post sometime Sunday or Monday..

To the TA that said I came on the ship to pick it apart, you are correct I did..I am very honest with the people on these boards for many years and I give my "opinion" people know me and trust my judgement..I havent said dont travel on Azamara..but we have met more people with problems than not..do I think they can all be fixed yes I do..would I put our clients on Journey that travel on Oceania and tell them to expect a comparable product..absolutely not. Is it better than a mass market ship ..yes..is it ultra premium or deluxe ..no, not yet.

Off to sit out on the deck, it is a beautiful warm sunny day and very smooth sailing..

Have a great weekend..

Regards,

Jan

My Dw and I found the same on our Jouney cruise last May. Not really "dirty" per say but untidy might be a better term..

We hadda' laugh as on the first morning there was a very senior couple complaining to an officer about the plates left on outdoor tables and cigarette butts on the decks.

:o

Slops,

Hi Jan,

Are the two whirlpool spas fixed yet? Is the special one in the AquaSpa working? If not, any word on when they will be worked on. We will be boarding while you are getting off & hope they are in working condition again.

Thanks for taking the time out from your cruise to post your reviews. :)

Take care,

Suzy B

Thank you Jan for taking the time from your cruise to post your findings. I still can't wait to sail in early Oct. and I do hope they will have added some of their new menu items for us to sample. With luck the Journey will have a smooth transition to the new staff after they take the already trained people over to the Quest.

I think that as a travel professional one of the most important questions we can ask our client is what kind of a cruise they are looking for. Have they cruised before and on which lines. What will make one person happy is not necessarily the same thing that will make the next person happy. I do however want to know that the line I put my clients on has good food and service. Ship decor and activities may be less of a concern to a family than a seasoned traveler. I spend time with the client getting to know what they like.

We seem to be getting different reports from those who have sailed and I am excited that I am going to get to experience first hand the Azamara ship. I have been forewarned of things so I know what to expect and I don't think anything will come as a big surprise. After 80 or so cruises I still have loved everyone of them, even those that may not have been the very best. I will say I have never had a bad time, maybe bad food or a bad waiter, but not a bad cruise. I guess that is why I love cruising. Strange as it is there are people out there that don't even like being on a cruise ship....weird huh?

Vicki

Guest THE EDS

We too, were on the Sept 1 sailing, as my DH became fond of saying the Journey is a work in progress. We had a nice time, enjoyed ourselves but I agree wholeheartedly with everything stated by Jan. Lack of service in Discoveries must be addressed in future cruises, always got a table for two not always the greatest but suitable. At one dinner we waited soo long for coffee we left without it although the coffee was so bad it was not a big problem. She was right about dirty dishes and glassware, I was even served a cocktail in a chipped glass. A nice ship but needs to go a long way. Just my opinion.

THE EDS

Tell me it ain't so.

Sharon

I was on the Sept. 1 sailing. I would say the problem of the smoke is that people were smoking cigars in the two smoking areas. They should not have cigar smoking. And i noticed one groups of smokers a couple of times seemed to be purposely blowing a lot of smoke.

We too, were on the Sept 1 sailing, as my DH became fond of saying the Journey is a work in progress. We had a nice time, enjoyed ourselves but I agree wholeheartedly with everything stated by Jan. Lack of service in Discoveries must be addressed in future cruises, always got a table for two not always the greatest but suitable. At one dinner we waited soo long for coffee we left without it although the coffee was so bad it was not a big problem. She was right about dirty dishes and glassware, I was even served a cocktail in a chipped glass. A nice ship but needs to go a long way. Just my opinion.

THE EDS

I am also just back from the Sept. 1 sailing. First off I had a great cruise. Second I would say the Journey is a work in progress but one that is still better than for example, a Celebrity cruise. Some are comparing it to Oceania, well I can't since I have not been on Oceania. I can only compare it to Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, NCL, Carnival and Princess. It certainly is more upscale than all those. Both the food and service was better than those I have sailed on before. Considering that I got a very good deal on this sailing I only have a few complaints. Perhaps if I were paying Oceania prices or the the like, or had been on Oceania I would be more picky. But this cruise was certainly a step up for me. There were some minor problems with maintenance and cleanliness, like the restroom floors always being sticky, but in general they were keeping the ship clean. The butler is a cabin attendant, at least for the non-suites, and they should end the nonesense of calling them such.

The problem with Discoveries, well this may stir things up, is open seating. People are coming in and leaving throughout the evening and your wait is serving the appetizer to one table and desert to another. Also there is no way for them to learn your preferences. This is the second time i have been on open seating, the first time was on NCL and I think open seating makes for worse service.

I am also just back from the Sept. 1 sailing. First off I had a great cruise. Second I would say the Journey is a work in progress but one that is still better than for example, a Celebrity cruise. Some are comparing it to Oceania, well I can't since I have not been on Oceania. I can only compare it to Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, NCL, Carnival and Princess. It certainly is more upscale than all those. Both the food and service was better than those I have sailed on before. Considering that I got a very good deal on this sailing I only have a few complaints. Perhaps if I were paying Oceania prices or the the like, or had been on Oceania I would be more picky. But this cruise was certainly a step up for me. There were some minor problems with maintenance and cleanliness, like the restroom floors always being sticky, but in general they were keeping the ship clean. The butler is a cabin attendant, at least for the non-suites, and they should end the nonesense of calling them such.

The problem with Discoveries, well this may stir things up, is open seating. People are coming in and leaving throughout the evening and your wait is serving the appetizer to one table and desert to another. Also there is no way for them to learn your preferences. This is the second time i have been on open seating, the first time was on NCL and I think open seating makes for worse service.

Hi Charles !

Thanks for your comments. I am glad you had an excellent Cruise. I totally agree with your comments about the cabin attendant/Butler. I think Azamara should stop calling them butlers, and get past that already. It's clear they are not butlers, so why promote it as such ?

I also agree about open seating. For those who have been reading my comments on here and on the Celebrity Boards, I am not a big fan of open seating. Yes, I will sail on Quest with a very open mind next month (and hopefully Oceania in 2008 or 2009). However, I strongly feel that open seating Dining cannot offer the service levels as having the same waiter every night via assigned seating. No matter just how good the Cruise line has mastered open seating, I cant see it being as good as assigned seating.

I agree there are plusses and minuses with each type of seating, but to me, great service is far more important than eating any time of the evening. I am sure some might disagree with me, as this is very subjective.

The open seating/assigned seating debate cuts both ways, of course. As we know, several upscale lines have become successful with open seating. Many people, for a variety of reasons (for myself, flexibility/"freedom"), prefer restaurant style seating. Others, particularly those who often cruise on big ship lines, enjoy the familiarity of assigned seating. But I think Celebrity /Azamara have done enough market research to know that their target customer--someone seeking a more upscale environment on a cruise---will usually prefer open seating. Current Oceania pax, for example, would not cruise AZ if it is open seating no matter how good everything else becomes. So unless these ships fail in their current business model don't expect open seating (and if they do go that route I return to Seabourn and also try to find an opening on a Oceania cruise).

Open eating only works well if all passengers can be accommodated in the dining room at one time.

That way there is no urgency turn over tables.

Open seating service on a ship is no different than a land-based restaurant.

However, if it is expected that tables will be turneover at least once per evening, it is not conducive to leisurely upscale dining.

I've posted this before, but thought it worth mentioning. One way around the service issues of open seating, on Journey for us, was to findIt a great waiter (recommended by Roll Call friends) and ask to be seated at his table every night. We were never turned down - although we agreed to wait a few minutes once or twice - and enjoyed personized service throughout the cruise. Needless to say, we tipped him extra at the end of the cruise. It was our way of compromising. Ate when we wished and had excellent service.

I've posted this before, but thought it worth mentioning. One way around the service issues of open seating, on Journey for us, was to findIt a great waiter (recommended by Roll Call friends) and ask to be seated at his table every night. We were never turned down - although we agreed to wait a few minutes once or twice - and enjoyed personized service throughout the cruise. Needless to say, we tipped him extra at the end of the cruise. It was our way of compromising. Ate when we wished and had excellent service.

We tried that. We were not able to get the same table for all the nights we dined in Discoveries.

Archived