September 1 Azamara Journey

Jancruz

Barb -

If you haven't sailed on Seabourn before ... be prepared to be pampered ... your every wish taken care of before they can even be vocalized! Which ship will you be sailing on? We were on the Legend a year and a half ago and had a wonderful two weeks! We've also been on Silver Seas and can't decide which is our favorite ... looking forward to comparing them again. Enjoy!

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your honest reviews of the readiness of the ship.

I have a question about your groups Cruise Critic party. How did it go? Did it conflict with the Captain's Party?

I have read on another thread that there was a ship supported Cruise Critic party at 10:00 AM on Sunday. Is that true? If it is how were you able to coordinate it?

I am confused!:confused:

Again, thanks for taking time to keep us informed.

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your honest reviews of the readiness of the ship.

I have a question about your groups Cruise Critic party. How did it go? Did it conflict with the Captain's Party?

I have read on another thread that there was a ship supported Cruise Critic party at 10:00 AM on Sunday. Is that true? If it is how were you able to coordinate it?

I am confused!:confused:

Again, thanks for taking time to keep us informed.

Our cruise critic party was at 11:00am on Sunday and I thought it went very well..we met some really nice people..I did not know but there was a ship sponsored party at 10:am..but only a few people found out about it..they came to the Looking Glass Lounge after that party was over and told us about it..

Jan

The Captain's Club Cocktail Party was for Select and Elite at 11:00. So those of us who attended had plent of time to make it. However, the better party was in the Looking Glass. We mingled and talked to everybody. At the other party my husband and I were seated at a table for two and just visited with each other while waiting for the ship's officers to come by and visit.

Debby

As a neophyte cruiser traveling with a large group of old friends on the October 13th sailing to Bermuda, I was delighted to find this source of reviews and information concerning cruising in general and cruising on Azamara Journey in particular. However, there is one thing that concerns me. It appears that one has to be "someone", ie a travel agent, a member of "captain's club" or a member of this cruise critic board (and how does one become one of those?) in order to have the optimum experience. Obviously there are special gatherings for this "important" group, and they seem to be first priority for reservations for the Prime C or Aqualina dining experiences, and who knows what else. I do hope that simply being first time cruisers does not make us second class citizens who find frustration at every turn because we are out of the loop and unable to make reservations to dine or to participate in the excursions that might interest us or simply being well by the crew. As I said in my heading, I am 'just wondering?' but any enlightenment on this situation would be most appreciated.

Lest you think I am not well-traveled or knowledgeable about what makes for a good travel experience, may I add that I lived in Italy for years, travel to Europe at least once a year, own a major time share, and lead a group of at least 50 to Europe on a ski trip once every other ski season.

I simply want this cruise to be an optimum experience for the entire group, and particularly for the friends who organized all of this. It is a special birthday gift for one of us, and I would hate for her to feel shortchanged in any way.

Thanks so much! I am a very kind, generous, understanding, open minded and easy to please person with like minded friends, but I would hate to feel as though any of us are being treated as second class citizens simply because this is our first cruise.

As a neophyte cruiser traveling with a large group of old friends on the October 13th sailing to Bermuda, I was delighted to find this source of reviews and information concerning cruising in general and cruising on Azamara Journey in particular. However, there is one thing that concerns me. It appears that one has to be "someone", ie a travel agent, a member of "captain's club" or a member of this cruise critic board (and how does one become one of those?) in order to have the optimum experience. Obviously there are special gatherings for this "important" group, and they seem to be first priority for reservations for the Prime C or Aqualina dining experiences, and who knows what else. I do hope that simply being first time cruisers does not make us second class citizens who find frustration at every turn because we are out of the loop and unable to make reservations to dine or to participate in the excursions that might interest us or simply being well by the crew. As I said in my heading, I am 'just wondering?' but any enlightenment on this situation would be most appreciated.

Lest you think I am not well-traveled or knowledgeable about what makes for a good travel experience, may I add that I lived in Italy for years, travel to Europe at least once a year, own a major time share, and lead a group of at least 50 to Europe on a ski trip once every other ski season.

I simply want this cruise to be an optimum experience for the entire group, and particularly for the friends who organized all of this. It is a special birthday gift for one of us, and I would hate for her to feel shortchanged in any way.

Thanks so much! I am a very kind, generous, understanding, open minded and easy to please person with like minded friends, but I would hate to feel as though any of us are being treated as second class citizens simply because this is our first cruise.

As with any aspect of travel, cruise lines have loyalty programs. Airlines have frequent flyer programs, hotels have frequent guest programs, and cruise lines have past guest programs. Enrollment is generally free and often automatic. Benefits on cruises are usually minimal for the occasional cruiser and may include a special cocktail party, some coupons, or some other small recognition. Their intention is to sway you towards their brand for your next cruise in exchange for some small benefit. Being a first time cruiser with a particular line may exclude you from the opportunity to sip a few watered down drinks at the past guest cocktail party, but other than that, your cruise experience should be amazingly similar to most other guests.

As for cruise critic get togethers...since you posted here, you're now a cruise critic and could go to the cruise critic gathering on your cruise if there is one. Not my cup of tea so I can't offer much info on that, but I'm sure many on these boards can help you there.

I wouldn't worry about not being "somebody." Besides, aren't we all supposed to get treated like a Celebrity?

Please don't be discouraged. We were all neophytes once upon a time! I cannot think of a warmer, friendlier group of people than those that post on these boards! So please continue to use us as a resource. As you can see, we don't keep any secrets to ourselves - we tell it all, sometimes too much! (e.g. a review recently included telling us about a shirtless man with a hairy back stopping by in the Cova Cafe - TMI!!) And if you don't find the answers you're looking for, ask!

As far as getting to attend the CC party, Celebrity initially let us sign up for it. I think there were over 30 or 40, when they 'pulled the plug'. I'm noting below what you may want to do, upon boarding, to assure you can join us at the party.

---------------------------

Those who have not already signed up for the party should, shortly after boarding the cruise, ask to speak with the "Event Coordinator" at the Guest Relations Desk. This is the person that would know if the Cruise Critic party is scheduled or not, and can arrange to add you to the Guest List.

===============================

nlvc12

Hi Everyone !

Please, lets not turn this into a Cruise Critic Connections thread. This thread is about the 9/1 Journey sailing. Let's try to keep it on topic. Thanks !

If you have any questions/comments about the Connections party, you can find the latest information here :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=621985

I just want to thank those of you who responded to my question. Sorry if I started something in the wrong place.:o

Look forward to seeing more posts from you and let us know how your trip turns out.

Carol

Wow, one week has passed and I am finally finding the time to sit down and write this response. Unlike Jan, who compared Azamara to O, I am coming at it from the other direction and comparing it to X and Holland America since those are the nicest ships that I have experienced. This is my 11th cruise, so I am far from a neophyte. I expected the Journey to far outshine these 2 cruise lines and unfortunately that was not the case. I feel that we spent good money for a sky suite and should have noticed a difference on the ship, mainly in the service. I would say overall it was on par with these two lines, some pluses, some minuses.

We booked a SS not only for the size, but also the perks that we pay for and enjoy getting. In the brochure it advertised: priority luggage delivery – we received 2 pieces around 4PM and the other 2 pieces after 6PM which is not what I would consider priority, one night of complementary dining in a specialty restaurant – we did get two, dining & seating preferences for all restaurants – never happened, complementary garment pressing – this is limited to 2 garments per person which could have been a costly problem if we had expected to use it, VIP invitations to events – what events?, just to hit on the differences from what was advertised.

After we got in the room the butler introduced himself and asked if we had any concerns. Being sensitive to smoke, I mentioned that it definitely smelled as if someone had been smoking in the room. He insisted that this was not the case, but would try to clean it better later on. The smoke smell really did surprise me since I know the SSs are new. The next day the problem still was not fixed and we had to mention it to guest relations. I guess they spray something in the room which takes the smell away. It was finally taken care of, but we did notice if there was a day that it was not sprayed, the smoke smell became apparent once again. Additionally, we ordered the liquor package which is supposed to come with 6 cans of soda. We received the liquor, but not the soda. I mentioned this to the butler at this time as well; he again said that he would check on it. No soda was delivered to the room and I had to mention this to guest relations the next day to get it taken care of. Of course, from all the postings we now know that the butler is merely a cabin steward in tails.

We absolutely loved the smaller ship. This is the first time that we were on one and would definitely do it again. We met alot of really nice people and spent time with many around the ship due to its size. I loved the décor and darker woods. The sky suite décor was really nice, with more than enough storage space. (Both hubby and I are heavy packers so we needed this.) The SS bathroom was laid out very well, lots of room for toiletries. The only downside was the shower and the amount of water that got on the floor. Also, I would expect that a tall man might have difficulty in the shower with it being too short heightwise.

Open seating for dining was great (again a first for us). Food in the DR was good but nothing special, loved Aqualina and Prime C, lunch in Windows on the pool deck was definitely in need of improvement. I think this was more of a disappointment in that the choices you get in the buffet on a larger ship just were not there; although breakfast in the same venue was fine. We did order room service for breakfast five times. The food was very good and surprisingly very warm; however, three of the five times we missing getting one of the items we ordered.

I used the Aquaspa services twice. I got a both a massage and a facial. I must say that the massage is by far the best that I have gotten anywhere. The only disappointment for both services was the sales job that you get for product after the service is done. This always takes away from the relaxation that I had from the treatment, but is something that happens on all ships.

Entertainment was very enjoyable. Andrea (cruise director) was very good and will fit with the Journey well. The Cabaret Lounge definitely could use some improvement with the seating, but we thoroughly enjoyed all the shows that we saw there and did not miss the big ship entertainment.

Although everyone states that it is a work in progress (which I do agree with) my take is that Azamara is not concerned with what passengers think because so many booked when it was X and X is what they were expecting. I believe from all that I have heard that there will be a noticeable difference once the Bermuda run is finished. This is what is really disappointing to me. When they actually say “Come back in two months and you will notice a difference”, I have to wonder why I paid the money I did for the work in progress experience. I could have spent a lot less and had the same good time.

Diane

As I stated in my post I was comparing the food to Holland America/X, so nothing different from those two lines. I guess I was expecting something better. It seemed like there were less choices, possibly due to the smaller kitchen and nothing that I would consider special which is why, again just my opinion, that I stated I thought it was good.

As for the complementary sodas, they are complementary, but unless you ask they only have one of each kind in the refrig and just replace it with the same one that you emptied on the next day. Hence we get to the cabin, early afternoon, have a drink when we get aboard, ask Butler for the sodas when he introduces himself, do not get the sodas ordered and have none for a nightcap. Of course, that may sound picky to some, but I thought the "Butler" was there to take care of you and since this is one of the few vacations we take each year I thought it was a simple request. BTW, the butler did write down notes when he came into the room originally so he really should have taken care of it.

When I pay for a suite level cabin, I do expect that the ship has assigned some of its most professional staff to the area.

While I might be a tiny bit annoyed at having to leave reminders - I doubt I would hardly notice an issue so small.

Neither of the above concerns would be dealbreakers for me.

For the cost of a suite and having a "Butler" at your disposal, one would think and expect that you would only have to ask once. We sail on 10/20 and are getting nervous about the Journey being a work in progress.

Have any of you other cruisers have this diffilulty? I've emailed Azamara Customer Service three times in the last several months and never once received a reply - hope customer service aboard the Journey is better.

J ;) :(

Archived