New Poll - Do ya' Muster?

ArizonaRalphie

Do you participate in muster drills?  

596 members have voted

1. 1. Do you participate in muster drills?

• I look forward to and participate in every muster drill
    • I begrudgingly participate
    • I hide in my cabin
    • I have a 4th option I'd like to share!

It's not our favorite shipbaord activity but we always attend. It doesn't hurt to find out where you should go in case of emergency and refresh your memory about the procedures. It also gives us our first chance to meet some of the crew and other passengers. Ever since the fire on the Star, I'm a believer in being prepared.

on a b2b we do the 1st cruise not the 2nd portion.

on a new ship ALWAYS

it's really strange when I 1st started cruising 30 years and we were on some dingy ships we did our muster duty and it was hardcore NO ONE missed it or they would hunt you down, but then never thought of it again the rest of the cruise.

nowadays, with these "new and improved" state of the art, cutting edge ships and safety standards I have been known to check the best route to my muster station/lifeboat from the horizon court, spa and internet cafe and sleep with a flashlight in my nightstand drawer.

I've never missed a muster drill in any of the 20 or so cruises I've taken. Never. It's 30 minutes out of the total trip. It's over pretty quick. And seeing as there isn't anything else going on at the time, it's not like I could be doing something else.

I resent people who try to hide. IF something happened, those would be the VERY people who would be whining and cause chaos.

I would like to think that even if you don't care about your "neighbors", you would care enough about yourself to go to the drill, LEARN what you are supposed to do, and then maybe actually look at the posted signs about where to go while you are out and about on the ship. Things may not happen while you are in your cabin.

I think after 45 cruices, I can find my way to my muster station, if need be!!!:p

I've been on a 1,000 plane rides, I dont realy listen to the talk any more on how to put on a seat belt, were my life vests, raft or exits are!

I know I'm a slow learner but I got it!!:D

Rob

have had many cabin stwarts know I was in my room, plus doing b2b in oct. should I have to do twice?

We've been on 35 cruises, most of them with Princess. Since most of the ships we sail on are either the same ship or sister ships to ones we've already sailed on, we check the sign on the back of the door, we know where to go, what to do, how to put on the jackets, what to do if we can't get to our cabin, etc. etc. etc.

We hide on the balcony. And I don't think anyone has ever checked our cabin.

I picked "I begrudgingly attend", but that's not quite true...it's somewhere in between I happily attend and I begrudgingly attend, lol. I do always attend, but I wouldn't necessarily say it's happily, and not quite begrudgingly either.

I figure if something happens, the extra reinforcement of knowing exactly what to do is maybe going to help calm me down a bit. Maybe after 20 crusies, I might feel differently, but probably not, lol.

I'm a retired Naval Reservist, I really know what to do. However I go willingly to the drill, 'cause that's the moment the cruise begins for me! As long as the crew has everything in control, I do exactly as every other passenger does. If they don't, my training will take over & I'll make sure everyone I can gets to the lifeboats safely. That's not a legal obligation, but a moral one.

I attend - it is mandatory. Sometimes with drink in hand. But it is nice to be excused on the second part of a b2b.

That being said, we have formulated strategies for happily enduring muster drills based on which location we are assigned for muster, so that we don't wait forever in "traffic" at the end of the drill.

I don't want to brag but I'm about as lazy as they come and one of the best things about the Princess muster drill is that it is held in a place where you can:

1)Enjoy air conditioning

2)Sit down

I love that Princess doesn't make you stand out on deck with your whistle in your hand.

I cant remember pricess doing a roll call

They never have before (I only remember a roll call on the QE2), but on my Crown cruise in July, they were testing a new system with handheld machines that would swipe your cruise card. I know the captain always announced that they didn't need to do a roll call because they could search the ship quickly and efficiently to ensure no one was missing, but I say good for them with this new system. It seems safer in case of an actual emergency, where conditions for a search of the ship might not be optimal. Of course, it might also mean that those who don't go to the drill (except the rightfully-excused folks on B2Bs) will no longer be able to hide out in their cabins without repercussions. . .

I always tell this story whenever this topic comes up.

In March of 2006 at 2:00AM aboard the Star Princess about 50 miles west of Jamaica, General Muster was called. While navigating around a closed fire door an idiot opens his cabin door and asks, "Where do we go?"

A thirty minute Muster Drill is a minor detail. The drill is for everyone's safety. By skipping the drill you could put others in danger.

fireport.jpg

I was also on the Star Princess when Muster was called at 3a.m. in the morning. I looked out my balcony door and saw sparks of fire flying over. I was very glad that I knew at least where my muster station was. My DH and I managed to get clothes on and our life jackets but that was all. When we got to the muster station and sat down that is when we realized all the things we should have had with us. We won't make that mistake again. A emergency fanny pack will be put together and attached to our life jackets on our next cruise. Showing the above picture over and over to the numskulls that think the muster drill is a big joke may hopefully change there mind. Just ask anyone of us that was on this ship what kind of turmoil we went through for 8 hours that would have been far worse if we did not know what to do.

I reeaally don't enjoy muster, but the "what if's" keep me participating. I definitely like the Princess muster drills better than some other lines. Sitting in an air conditioned lounge beats standing on a hot deck any day of the week. Plus Princess doesn't make you wear the life jacket for 30 minutes.

By the way...

Roll call on the Star when it was on fire took 41/2 hours and it is done very laboriously by voice only. Each cabin # is sounded off by crew members up and down the ship until you call out when your number is called with the number of people in your cabin. Maybe there is a better way but i can't imagine swiping your cruise card is logical as who is going to be thinking to bring that in an emergency? Battery operated hand held inventory machines may be the answer. All I know it is very hard to account for 1500-2000 people in an emergency situation and hiding in your cabin should not be an option no matter how much you know about the ship your on and where you should go. A drill has to do with moving people into a designated safe area in as quick a manner as possible. If you don't participate you throw off the drill's capacity to succesfully make it work in moving large numbers of people. So...don't be so selfish and inconsiderate that you put your life and many others in jepordy. Please particpate in musters. After all, as many say they can be a great social gathering that starts the cruise.

To those who don't go or have some lame excuse, I say. I hope to hell you enjoy waving goodbye to the folks in the lifeboats who had the common courtesy to attend and knew where to go and what to do. You will also probably be the ones standing in the aisles of the lifeboat complaining that you didn't get a seat (because the rest of us knew where to go and how to get there). You deserve all you get.

Can't say I look to forward to it, but we always attend. My wife likes it because it kind of breaks the ice for me in a social setting - gets me out!After the muster, I'm usually "re-socialized" for the rest of the voyage

Thing is, it is very important. A ship at sea is essentially in the wilderness and anything can happen. If they didn't do it and there was a situation, people would be bellowing about being unprepared.

We always attend. You know the ones that don't attend will be the first to complain that the crew didn't know how to handle an emergency.

Also, I guess I could transfer the logic to fire drills at school. I have been in the same classroom for 22 years. 10 fire drills a year - I think I know where to go and what to do. Guess I will just hide in my room the next time.:rolleyes:

Archived