Best place to keep passport when not traveling?

PoseidonGodoftheSea

babyher, interesting post. Reminded me that after my Dad passed in 1970, leaving things somewhat disorganized, I decided I'd try and not do that. My son, and only child, and I share a bank box and we go thru it together from time to time so he's up to speed when I conk out!

babyher, interesting post. Reminded me that after my Dad passed in 1970, leaving things somewhat disorganized, I decided I'd try and not do that. My son, and only child, and I share a bank box and we go thru it together from time to time so he's up to speed when I conk out!

I am the same way with my DW and kids.

My Mom has kept all her personal papers just like my dad and every now and again she tells us what is what, and what is where , and who's getting this and that , and what to do with this and that.

Thank God she is in very good health and we wish her a 100 more years , and it makes us cringe when she talks like this, but we learned from my dad's passing that you never know and it helps to be prepared.

It was in the HAL ticket wallet from my last cruise...

:o

Brian, you kill me.

Ours is stored in a secure box that no one would ever think of looking into - the plaque reads: "Muffy, Rest In Purrfect Peace" and sits on a shelf in our family room where she could watch everybody . . . if she was really in there!:D

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Gerry

This is a timely thread since I can't fine mine and I cruise soon. Thought it was in the safe, couldn't for the life of me remember the combination (or, ummmm, where I put the combination in case I ever forgot) :o . Figured it'd come to me...it didn't over the last month so called a locksmith today and glory be he got the combo for me from the manuf. All is good, right? Ya....till I don't find my PP inside. :eek: :( Daughter says, Mom look with the last cruise docs and, unlike Brian, no dice. I have a feeling I'll be up all night or till I find it. But this I know, the safe would have been a darn good place for it. ;)

We keep ours in a safe deposit box. My TA sent me paperwork to fill out for my upcoming cruise. Went to the safe deposit box and the key would not open it. The bank had to get someone in to clean the lock and now it works fine. If I needed it in a hurry I would have been in deep doo-doo.

For my next cruise I'll go to the bank at least a week in advance.

I keep mine in my briefcase. DW keeps hers in her jewelry box. We keep one copy of our passports in our luggage and we keep a copy on line. It is much easier to get a passport replaced if you have a copy of the inside page...with the passport number, issue date, issue city, etc. When traveling, we never leave our passports in our room-we always take them with us.

Gee, maybe I am too casual about this. I keep my passport in my wallet/clutch/Daytimer, so I have it with me at all times. I often cross into Canada for short daytrips, because we are so close to the border and my son is a university student in Vancouver. Even though a passport is not required right now, it makes the border crossings easier.

I also like to use the passport for routine ID - it has only name, birthdate, and place of birth, but does not have other personal identifying information such as one's home address or SSN.

Another home file folder has copies of all my wallet contents, as well as our family's expired passports, birth certificates, etc. That folder is right next to the scrapbooks and photo albums, which we would grab if we had to run out of the house in a hurry.

Ours is kept in a large safe downstairs, bolted into the concrete floor.

No safe is fully fireproof - they are rated for maximum temperature and time.

Keep two things in mind in determining where to keep your important papers and other valuables - 1) how easy is it to steal them and 2) what will happen to them if there is a fire in the house.

We keep one copy of our passports in our luggage and we keep a copy on line. It is much easier to get a passport replaced if you have a copy of the inside page...with the passport number, issue date, issue city, etc. When traveling, we never leave our passports in our room-we always take them with us.

Iancal----

Thank you SO much for this tip. I have just photographed our passports and made color and black & white copies to carry withus ... plus I have saved the image in my email inbox so it'll be available anywhere there's a computer and internet connection.

Great idea. Thanks so very much....

Carol in SC

Archived