Stock statements - Do you black anything out?

Michelle1234

I did a search on sending in the RCCL stock statement and I understand they want a brokerage statement. Do folks black any thing out or do you just send the whole thing in with account #s and all?

Thanks for your assistance, my brokerage recommends that I blacken everything out but I didn't know if this would work to get the credit. However, I too am nervous about providing the whole brokerage statement. They said they could generate a letter but I didn't know if that would suffice.

Thanks,

Michelle

I did a search on sending in the RCCL stock statement and I understand they want a brokerage statement. Do folks black any thing out or do you just send the whole thing in with account #s and all?

Thanks for your assistance, my brokerage recommends that I blacken everything out but I didn't know if this would work to get the credit. However, I too am nervous about providing the whole brokerage statement. They said they could generate a letter but I didn't know if that would suffice.

Thanks,

Michelle

I would blacken out anything that does not pertain to RCL stock and your proof of ownership. As soon as the RCL agent confirms the ownership the info that you send is destroyed. So, whatever you decide you can be asured that your info is not laying around on a desk somewhere.

Thanks,

Michelle

I am a broker/advisor and have used the share holder credit before w/ RCCL. I DO black out everything they don't need to see.

I don't black out anything. There is really no useful or valuable information on a brokerage statement that an identity thief can use. These days, no financial institution will print any meaningful or important identity-related info on documents. Who really cares if RCI knows that I also own 100 shares of XYZ or if I have a $xx,xxx cash balance?

Here is the link for all the details. I think it is a very good deal.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-shareholderbenefit

I bought some after I booked a Celebrity cruise and submitted the statement before the cruise and still got the credit. So you don't need to own it before you book.

1. Who is eligible for this offer?

Any shareholder holding a minimum of 100 RCL shares at time of sailing.

2. What is the offer?

$250 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 14 or more nights.

$200 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 9 to 13 nights.

$100 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 6 to 8 nights.

$50 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 5 nights or less.

Applicable on any Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Cruises or Azamara Cruises Sailings. (excludes Celebrity Xpeditions)

3. How do I redeem this offer?

Provide your name, address, confirmation number, ship and sailing date along with a copy of your shareholder proxy card or a current brokerage statement showing proof of share ownership in Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd.

Via Mail: RCL Investor Benefit, PO Box 025511, Miami, Florida 33102-5511

Via Fax: 1-305-539-4645

Via Email: shareholderbenefit@rccl.com

4. I am sailing with my family and some friends. Can they redeem the offer too?

The offer is only available for the stateroom in which the shareholder (with a minimum of 100 shares) is sailing. Only one credit per shareholder on any one sailing.

5. Can I use the offer each time I sail?

Yes, you may request this offer multiple times-as often as you sail on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Cruises or Azamara Cruises (excludes Celebrity Xpedition).

6. Can this offer be combined with other offers, onboard credits and coupons?

Yes, this offer is combinable with other offers, onboard credits and coupons. The offer is NOT available to company employees, travel agents, tour conductors and/or others utilizing complimentary or reduced-rate cruise fares.

7. Is offer transferrable?

No. Offer is non-transferable. Only the stateroom that the shareholder is traveling in will be eligible for the onboard credit.

8. Are there any restrictions?

Valid only for cruise vacations on Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises or Azamara Cruises. Not applicable for Celebrity Xpedition (Galapagos). Offer is non-transferable and not available to company employees, travel agents, inter-line rates, tour conductors, and/or others utilizing complimentary or reduced rate cruise fares. Onboard credit is calculated in US Dollars, but is not redeemable for cash. Certificate value credited to onboard account at time of sailing. Credit is applied on a per stateroom basis; double occupancy. Single guests paying 200% of applicable fare shall receive full value of certificate. Only one shareholder credit per stateroom. Only one credit per shareholder on any one sailing.

Best,

Michelle

I don't black out anything. There is really no useful or valuable information on a brokerage statement that an identity thief can use. These days, no financial institution will print any meaningful or important identity-related info on documents. Who really cares if RCI knows that I also own 100 shares of XYZ or if I have a $xx,xxx cash balance?

Actually, your account number is always on official statements and that, in conjunction with your name and address, can be extremely useful to someone who is interested in defrauding you.

I also am a registered rep and it is our firm's policy to never fax or e-mail a client's account number. It's for your own benefit to black out the account number.

I block everything that's not pertinent to RCL, including my full account number. They can see the name and they can see the date of the statement and the number of shares but the rest is private info. Never had a problem - faxed it over for the last 4-5 cruises, no problems.

How far in advance do you send in the info? I have my shares, won't be sailing till January.:confused:

Actually' date=' your account number is always on official statements and that, in conjunction with your name and address, can be extremely useful to someone who is interested in defrauding you.

I also am a registered rep and it is our firm's policy to never fax or e-mail a client's account number. It's for your own benefit to black out the account number.[/quote']There isn't a broker or financial institution worth a salt that will release or make vulnerable your assets based solely on your name, address and account number. These days, anything that is mailed is insufficient information for accessing accounts or executing financial transactions, and there are multi-layered safeguards and identity checks in place (e.g. web anti-phishing graphics checks, PINs, multiple security questions, etc.).

As someone very concerned about and focused on fraud or identity theft issues, I'd rather focus on what I believe are the high priority risks or problems: safeguarding my SSN at all costs, pressing financial and other institutions to safeguard my electronic information from hackers, opt-out of every possible "sell my data" privacy policy, diligently monitor my credit reports, execute regular locks/freezes on my credit bureau records and access, keep my USPS mail safe from being stolen by locking it, secure all tax forms, records and data, encrypt all my account/password data files, secure my Quicken data, install and keep updated anti-virus/spyware/adware software, apply all the latest software upgrades and patches to my computer, etc. etc.

The risks associated with my name, address and brokerage account number sitting on an RCI shareholder services desk for a day or two is so far down the list as a risk that it doesn't even approach being a priority or concern. I'm not saying it's a bad idea to black out the information--just that, in a world where identy theft and security problems are prevalent, this is really really small potatoes, and we all have much more important fish to fry.

I am for supplying only the information necessary, the less information about you floating around the safer. I just forwarded a written statement from my broker, not a brokerage statement, confirming ownership and that was satisfactory. For those less concerned about their statements I just hope RCI has a good shredder when they are finished with them.

How far in advance do you send in the info? I have my shares, won't be sailing till January.:confused:

I have already sent in my info for all cruises booked through April 09. Booked them over Labor Day and sent in for the credits as soon as I got home from Sovereign. Got my shareholder OBC confirmation of the credits and called RCI and had new sailing confirmation emailed to me yesterday showing that the OBC's had been applied to all sailings.

How about it you had a $x,xxx,xxx cash balance?

I would blacken out anything that does not pertain to RCL stock and your proof of ownership. As soon as the RCL agent confirms the ownership the info that you send is destroyed. So, whatever you decide you can be asured that your info is not laying around on a desk somewhere.

And how do you know this? And even if it is supposed to be destroyed I hardly feel asured that it has actually happened.

How about it you had a $x,xxx,xxx cash balance?
It doesn't take much effort to identify high net worth individuals so I am personally unconcerned about my brokerage information laying around on someone's desk for a day or two.

Again, I'm not saying that it isn't a good idea to black out your statement data. It's just that, if you look at where your critical, important identity and financial information resides in this world, you should be far more concerned about a few dozen other places that criminals and hackers can and do get this information. And the RCI shareholder office is not in my top 25.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is much more important personal and financial information about all of us that is floated around "casually" each and everyday, and we should focus more on how those data providers and users sell or inappropriately handle this data. For example, it is far better to spend your time freezing and monitoring your credit report/history usage to protect against identity theft, than to worry about blacking out "things others don't need to see" on your brokerage statement.

Archived