Teeth Whitening Anyone?

swimsimcoe

Don't do it on the ship. Sometimes, teeth can be very very sensitive afterwards, and there is no dentist to go to if you have a problem. Last I heard, they were doing it in the spa. The same person who washes your hair and polishes your nails, can do your teeth.:eek: Have it done by your own dentist. Better safe than sorry.

I am a Dental Hygienist and would also suggest going to your dental office for this procedure. This is a very safe procedure but it can have some side effects. It will cost about the same plus you have follow up if needed for sensitivity which can and does happen frequently. I would hate for you to not be able to enjoy a nice cold drink on your vacation because it hurts your teeth. I have also seen patients that have been kept up all night due to throbbing sensitivity. Not saying it's going to happen but it COULD happen. Not something you want to deal with on vacation. This sensitivity (usually cold, air, temp. changes) can be treated with a prescription Fluoride to help decrease the sensitivity and time will also help. Also, isolation of the teeth is also important to decrease the chance of "burning" the gums during the procedure. This would be best accomplished by a dental professional who is familiar with tooth and oral anatomy. You should be just fine if you decide to do the procedure BUT you must consider the risks and those effects on your vacation. Hope this helps.

Wendy

Anyone have any experience of it on Hal.Going on the Westerdam in December and considering it.What is the process?How much?

Someone posted a few months ago that they had sensitivity as a result of the procedure done aboard ship, the spa could do nothing about it and they were in misery throughout the rest of the cruise and all the way home 'til they could see their dentist.

Take everyone's advice here: Do it at home.

Who would have thunk it?Imagine teeth whitening on a cruise ship.........................Going on the Westerdam in December and considering it.

Just curious - what factors would make one consider having this done while on vacation rather than at home?

I'm always wanting to get the primping & fluffing - highlights, nails, pedicure, etc - done before the cruise. So I'm really, seriously interested in your response. Thanks. :)

Just curious - what factors would make one consider having this done while on vacation rather than at home?

I'm always wanting to get the primping & fluffing - highlights, nails, pedicure, etc - done before the cruise. So I'm really, seriously interested in your response. Thanks. :)

Impulse purchase ?

Who would have thunk it?Imagine teeth whitening on a cruise ship.Anyone have any experience of it on Hal.Going on the Westerdam in December and considering it.What is the process?How much?

No way. My Dh had this done a couple of years ago (at our dentist office). It was so painful that he would never do it again. I would never let anyone who is not a trained professional touch my teeth.

To answe someone elses question. I think people are doing this on cruise ships because they are finding it is cheaper tha at home whee ot runs $400.00-$500.00.

Okay. Well, while on our last X cruise, DH surprised me by saying he wanted his teeth whitened! Whoa! Blew me away. So, he checked into it. The woman who did it was an anestitician (sp??) and also did laser skin treatments and whatnot. It certainly was not the person who painted nails who did the treatment. So DH checked into it and decided to get it done.

I think partly because he had the time to do it, something he really wouldn't think about doing at home. It certainly surprised me when he wanted to get it done, but he's an adult and wanted it, and I had no problem.

He had no problems with it, but was restricted to very hot/cold drinks for the first day or so afterwards. They gave him some stuff (whitening) to "paint" on his teeth afterwards, and that was it.

Honestly, I couldn't see a major difference, but his teeth were slightly whiter. Of course, since coming home, he has stopped using the whitening stuff.

I do not remember the cost at all. But for him to even say he wanted something like that done just floored me. We've cruised many, many times, and he wouldn't hardly even walk into the spa, much less consider a massage or treatment.

So am I recommending you to have it done? No, not really, but it's your call. DH had no side effects, but you may, and everyone else's post makes 100% sense to me.

Shay

I am a Dental Hygienist and would also suggest going to your dental office for this procedure. This is a very safe procedure but it can have some side effects. It will cost about the same plus you have follow up if needed for sensitivity which can and does happen frequently. I would hate for you to not be able to enjoy a nice cold drink on your vacation because it hurts your teeth. I have also seen patients that have been kept up all night due to throbbing sensitivity. Not saying it's going to happen but it COULD happen. Not something you want to deal with on vacation. This sensitivity (usually cold, air, temp. changes) can be treated with a prescription Fluoride to help decrease the sensitivity and time will also help. Also, isolation of the teeth is also important to decrease the chance of "burning" the gums during the procedure. This would be best accomplished by a dental professional who is familiar with tooth and oral anatomy. You should be just fine if you decide to do the procedure BUT you must consider the risks and those effects on your vacation. Hope this helps.

Wendy

I had a friend do it on the Empress in May. All the above happened...Her teeth were so sensitive (and not whiter by the way), she had difficulty the rest of the cruise. Another friend and her husband were going to do it also, but after her problems, they cancelled and had a difficult time getting all their money back. I would run, not walk away from it.

I had my teeth whitened in my dentist's office last week. They were very sensitive for a couple of days, but the worst lingering effect was where some of the solution got on my lips. It burned them, and for about a week they felt like they were extremely chapped. Several foods/beverages actually aggravated the discomfort.

The solution was applied to my teeth 3 times... for 15 minutes each. The whole process took well over an hour, during which my mouth was propped open with a contraption which was supposed to protect the lips and gums. It wasn't the most pleasant dental work I have ever had done!

I can't imagine being on a cruise and dealing with the lingering side effects.

On the other hand, there are apparently several ways of whitening teeth. I have seen references to "laser whitening". I don't know if that would result in less discomfort, or if that is what they use on a cruise ship.

I love the results of the procedure and would do it again... just not on a cruise.

The Whitening costs around $ 200, if it is on special and they want to sell with it a lots of special solutions to take home. It is not Peroxide, what the dentist uses! It is kind of a herbal mix...LOL! Basically it doesn't work, with just 1 treatment! Some crew had it done, but got in more then just 1 time and you could have seen a bit of a difference.

YES...it could be the Nail tech doing the procedure, wo was getting a training (read that info sheet) for it!

Best results is the dentist! At 1st you should receive a professional Teeth cleaning, then the whitening!

I actually did the "Go Smile" teeth whitening on Royal Caribbean last January. They advertised that it was the same product used at Sephora and Bloomingdales. They offered a "special" for 199.00, saying it was half off what the other places charged. I'll tell you... it was a waste of money. Initially, my teeth were a little whiter, perhaps a shade or two. After a week or two, and several glasses of wine or cups of coffee, they were just the same as before. Crest White strips will do the EXACT same short term whitening, with touch ups for ALOT less.

Spend your money at the SPA or elsewhere on your cruise more wisely. I wish I had that 199.00 back.

melissa

boy! Should Have Asked If They Do Boob Jobs And See The Responses.was Just Curious.don't Think Would Ever Have It Done Unless Everyone Said It Was Fantastic.i Know How The Denstist Does It-with Molds-hate That-but I Wanted To See Everyones' Experience.

thanks For All The Input.

Archived