Watch out for Princess's World of Escapes Sweepstakes

scots

I just received an email about a fabulous 8 week long contest that Princess is holding. The only catch is when I went in to enter, low and behold, it is only available to US residents. What a slap in the face that is! We here in Canada have to pay a lot more just to get to Princess Cruise departure ports than US citizens do (that is in no way a bad note against US cruisers) I am just trying to point out that it would have been a nice gesture for Princess to include Canadians in the contest as a matter of recognition of the extra miles we travel to get there. Besides airfare is not included in the contest, so really how much of a hardship would it have been to Princess to extend that contest to us as well? And also, if the contest is not open to anyone outside the US, then set your email parameters to only email the contest info to US residents.

Sometimes these contests vary because of laws in different countries. So, I wouldn't blame Princess solely for this, it possibly isn't allowed in Canada for some reason.

No, that's not the problem. Canada had lotos and contests well before they were legal in the USA.

Any contest must be registered in the State or Province it is held in. A nominal fee and a bit of paper work. Princess choose not to go through the trouble.

Living in Quebec, where the paper work must be filed in French, it's rare I can participate in a contest, held by an American based company, though for the most part there are tons of Canadian based ones and I even won a trip to Greece a few years ago!!!!.

The onus is on the contest not the gov't but that said, why isn't there a better way? I want to win a cruise too....

Princess does not give a fig about any of their non USA customers

Instead it sees them as a CASH COW

the prices for Princess Cruises booked via Canadian /European/Australian TAs or Princess are way way higher than if you can book via a USA TA

Add on Princess attempts to illegally ignore the "tick box " DO NOT CONVERT on the forms for settling onboard accounts which nets then 4% plus a lousy exchange rate for the unwarry and they have a real scam going

You cant even access the USA version of Princess.com if your ISP is outside of the USA

:mad: I'm steaming too :mad: -- I got the email for each and every one of our family registered (5 of us!!!! ), logged in and there it was, no Ontario, and in the small print that its invalid outside the USA. HA - I still filled it in, used NY as my state, and put Ontario Canada in the 2nd address line. Maybe we should all do that and overfill their entries with non US persons so that they have a heck of a time!!! hee hee

SURELY SUCH A BIG COMPANY AS PRINCESS COULD PAY SOME PROGRAMMER TO WRITE A LITTLE PROGRAM TO VERIFY THE EMAILS AGAINST THE COUNTRY ADDRESS AND PULL ONLY USA EMAIL ADDRESSES.

What absolutely KILLS me is that my email address ends in " . ca " DUH.

But really, I'm not that surprised. Princess customer service really aren't that bright, are they?

:rolleyes:

Part of the reason (I am assuming) is that Canada has a law much makes you perform a skill in order to participate in a contest. Often the skill is 2+2 or something like that.

Most companies that cater to Americans primarily are not going to put this into a contest (an extra step).

Why not try to change Canada law? Most contests I participate in here in the US do not allow Canadians to participate.

Part of the reason (I am assuming) is that Canada has a law much makes you perform a skill in order to participate in a contest. Often the skill is 2+2 or something like that.

Most companies that cater to Americans primarily are not going to put this into a contest (an extra step).

Why not try to change Canada law? Most contests I participate in here in the US do not allow Canadians to participate.

I'm all for changing the law, but in the meantime there are a lot of contests open to residents of the USA and Canada (usually excluding Quebec.) Wish it was all, and included Quebec but that's the way it is. Hey Princess, bust your chops and do "a little" extra filing so everyone (except Quebec'rs who aren't really people :rolleyes: ) can aprticipate in your contests. I bet running a cruise line is a lot harder than running a contest.... you can do it.... don't be afraid.

I think the main point is WHY send me info on a contest that I cannot enter. Its like offering me a beer then pouring it out. You wont make friends that way

I think the main point is WHY send me info on a contest that I cannot enter. Its like offering me a beer then pouring it out. You wont make friends that way

Goodness sakes guys, it is not like they are actually giving everyone a free cruise but because you live in another country you can't take it. It is a contest. The chances of anyone here on CC winning is probably a zillion to one. It was a blanket email sent to all Princess clients, don't take such offense to receiving one when you can't enter. It really isn't that big of a deal to blow it all out of proportion.

If this was the other way around and was only for Canadian residents to enter, but I received the email, I sure wouldn't be getting all bent out of shape about it.

If this was the other way around and was only for Canadian residents to enter, but I received the email, I sure wouldn't be getting all bent out of shape about it.

It's easy to arbitrarily discount all this, when you are sitting on the top of the hill, given better pricing, more cabin choice. But for some of us, we delight in a chance to perhaps 'win' something....it gives hope and a little fun to be included in the 'family'.

As Sally Brown said in Charlie Brown's Christmas, "I just want my fair share":)

Goodness sakes guys, it is not like they are actually giving everyone a free cruise but because you live in another country you can't take it. It is a contest. The chances of anyone here on CC winning is probably a zillion to one. It was a blanket email sent to all Princess clients, don't take such offense to receiving one when you can't enter. It really isn't that big of a deal to blow it all out of proportion.

Can I use your name and we finally get to meet sharing the prize?:confused:

I'm another Canadian that got the emails. I replied to them that they shouldn't be sending it to us when we can't enter. I agree, they are quick enough to take our money when we book a cruise!

It's the principle of the thing. It's a very simple thing to exclude those that aren't American citizens, not sure why they don't bother.

Terry

See answer from Princess below...

1)

Recently, you received an email with the subject line "Win one of 8 dream cruises with Princess" which is meant to encourage our customers to explore the wealth of adventures that Princess Cruises offers around the world. Unfortunately, the sweepstakes portion of this promotion is not permitted in Canada or the non-continental U.S. and we regret that a number of residents in those areas received the promotion.

We apologize for this error and will continue to strive towards bringing you offers that are relevant and legal in your country.

Sincerely,

Princess Cruises

2)

Toto is dreaming if she thinks she will win anything but nice try.

Sincerely,

Princess Cruises

See answer from Princess below...

2)

Toto is dreaming if she thinks she will win anything but nice try.

Sincerely,

Princess Cruises

rotti-Well, after all this money we have spent sailing on Princess, it is nice to know they at least know my user name on CC. :) :)

OK, now I am just going to have to win this contest to show you that Princess doesn't know what they are talking about. Oh wait, they rarely know what they are talking about anyway so that won't prove a thing will it? ROFL

Recently, you received an email with the subject line "Win one of 8 dream cruises with Princess" which is meant to encourage our customers to explore the wealth of adventures that Princess Cruises offers around the world. Unfortunately, the sweepstakes portion of this promotion is not permitted in Canada or the non-continental U.S. and we regret that a number of residents in those areas received the promotion.

We apologize for this error and will continue to strive towards bringing you offers that are relevant and legal in your country.

Sincerely,

Princess Cruises

I just received an email about a fabulous 8 week long contest that Princess is holding. The only catch is when I went in to enter, low and behold, it is only available to US residents. What a slap in the face that is! We here in Canada have to pay a lot more just to get to Princess Cruise departure ports than US citizens do (that is in no way a bad note against US cruisers) I am just trying to point out that it would have been a nice gesture for Princess to include Canadians in the contest as a matter of recognition of the extra miles we travel to get there. Besides airfare is not included in the contest, so really how much of a hardship would it have been to Princess to extend that contest to us as well? And also, if the contest is not open to anyone outside the US, then set your email parameters to only email the contest info to US residents.

Yes I E-mailed Princess about that contest and they wrote me back it has something to do with the law on contests in Canada

Take care

Rick & Pat

Perhaps you live in Quebec, which if you recall, has been granted preliminary cessation rights from the Canadian Government - so - therefore you are no longer part of North America.

Just Kidding.

Ron

Not sure how many Canadians (particulary those OUTSIDE Quebec) will find this very funny...:rolleyes:

scots,

We live in western New York, about 20 miles from the border - our travel agent is located in Ft Erie, Ontario. We get e-mail from several Canadian travel companies, and when they have a contest, to enter, you must be a CANADIAN resident who has reached his or her "majority".

dickmac in lockport ny

Archived