Self Service Laundry

Leona1

My dimes worth

Prices:

In UK we use dry cleaning services a lot and laundry services rarely (my subjective opinion) The costs for both are high.

In the US I believe you use laundry services much more than we do. Volume and lower labour costs equate to lower prices.

On board a US based cruise ship the costs may be higher for a US citizen and lower for a UK one.

Selection:

Underwear, hankerchiefs etc are small and light but as a garment cost disproportionally more than a shirt.

This suggests that selection is the key to laundry services.

My dimes worth

Prices:

In UK we use dry cleaning services a lot and laundry services rarely (my subjective opinion) The costs for both are high.

In the US I believe you use laundry services much more than we do. Volume and lower labour costs equate to lower prices.

In the US almost everyone has washer/drier. Laundry services (vs. dry cleaning) are normally used only for ironing/pressing and then only special clothes that are not permanent press. I'm guessing that we are fairly equivalent in terms of usage but agree that US prices may be lower for pressing and dry cleaning.

Maybe Paris and Brittney can afford to have their undies laundered out but the average American can't. Forgot, they don't wear undies ;).

I agree. I do enough laundry when I'm home. I'm on vacation.

It took me all of 30 minutes time max in Skagway, AK earlier this summer to do a load of laundry in town (wash and dry). Put the laundry in the washer, was able to leave and spend the time in town. Back about 1/2 hour later, switched to dryer, went to a National Park Service presentation two blocks away, came back, folded my clothes, back to the NPS for a walking tour. It didn't ruin my day, took very little time and didn't really take away from doing anything I planned on doing.

Fortunately I did the laundry when it was most convenient for me not during a key time on the ship or in port.

Hi:) glad you were able to do what you needed.:)

It might have only been 1/2 hour, but for me, it isn't just about

the time.

It just not something in my mindset when I cruise. If something

ends up needing to be cleaned I will send it out.

Laundry does not come into my thought process while I am on a cruise,

actually while on any vacation.

I am on vacation:D .......I do laundry at home.

Maybe Paris and Brittney can afford to have their undies laundered out but the average American can't. Forgot, they don't wear undies ;).

Really? :)

In UK it is normal for underpants, socks and trainers not to be laundered at all. New on every time.

If you are Beckham or Elton John etc.:D

Hi,:) some folks would like self serve laundry while others don't care.

Why does there have to be such animosity between folks?:(

I always read these and get the feeling if we were in person

a fist fight would break out:(

I am one of those who doesn't do laundry on my cruises.

If they could put an area in for those who want it, no problem

for me. I still wouldn't use it;)

I agree Lois, I would prefer to be sitting by the pool and having a nice cold drink than doing laundry. I will say that one cruise we stayed in FLL for a night after the cruise, if I remember correctly it was at the Marriot on the beach. They had a laundry room right by the pool so I did all our laundry, packed it nicely in the suitcase in between relaxing and swimming. Got home and everything was done for four people.

I agree Lois, I would prefer to be sitting by the pool and having a nice cold drink than doing laundry. I will say that one cruise we stayed in FLL for a night after the cruise, if I remember correctly it was at the Marriot on the beach. They had a laundry room right by the pool so I did all our laundry, packed it nicely in the suitcase in between relaxing and swimming. Got home and everything was done for four people.

That is EXACTLY my point - you don't need to take any time away from your other activities if you plan it right. I didn't sacrifice any other activity I did in order to do my laundry. You could do your laundry while sitting by the pool. I could do my laundry while I was getting informed about the Klondike Gold Rush. Didn't affect your vacation one bit, didn't affect mine either. Thanks for confirming I am not the only one!

Ah, but here is the rub. If you flew JFK to LHR, you were under a 2 bag, ~ 50lb per bag limit (100lb. total per passenger). If you were flying inter-Europe, or in South America, you would be under a 1 bag, 44-50lb. TOTAL limit. A huge difference by a factor of 2. Ergo the convenience of an onboard laundry (which you would not have to use if you didn't wish to).

Are you suggesting that your baggage allowance changes during the journey?

If you put a package together yourself with the JFK-LHR leg with one carrier and LHR/LGW to Europe with another then you would either have to pay an excess or take only the lower limit.

If you were through booked then your multi-leg ticket would have only the one allowance figure. This may be the higher level but there may be a hidden additional baggage charge too.

Are you suggesting that your baggage allowance changes during the journey?

No, I think the point being made is that a transatlantic flight brings with it an enhanced baggage allowance, which continues onto a subsequent connecting flight within Europe. Whereas if your journey is entirely within Europe (e.g. UK to Rome) then you have a limited baggage allowance. Hence the interest in on-board launderettes expressed by some of us in that position.....

No, I think the point being made is that a transatlantic flight brings with it an enhanced baggage allowance, which continues onto a subsequent connecting flight within Europe. Whereas if your journey is entirely within Europe (e.g. UK to Rome) then you have a limited baggage allowance. Hence the interest in on-board launderettes expressed by some of us in that position.....

Thanks, Tom. You expressed it perfectly!

Thanks Tom, I wasn't sure that that was what ECCruise meant.

I admit I am one of those that will 'jettision' some old 'reserve' clothes at the end of the holiday. On our Caribbean we certainly had to devote some time to laundry work. Can be both convivial and entertaining, the latter from what people leave behind.

Also the communal spirit kicks in. One time we took a bundle of clothes and left them in the laundry basket. When we returned later, hoping a machine was free, we found them washed and tumble drier even.:)

Also the communal spirit kicks in. One time we took a bundle of clothes and left them in the laundry basket. When we returned later, hoping a machine was free, we found them washed and tumble drier even.

Like that idea very much, now which ship would that be?

I have just learned my baggage allowance for Auz/NewZealand Christmas trip

0ne, 20 kilo case plus carry one which includes handbag (purse) now what well dressed gal out to impress could survive on that:confused:. So the on board laundry service will have to kick in. Give me a martini, I am on holiday.;)

Mourne

My biggest worry is if my son gets something on his clothes because I can't send his stuff out to be laundered his skin is too sensitive and in fact if he gets something on our clothes it's a problem because I wash our things in laundry soap for sensitive skin so that he doesn't react when he lays with us so yes having the option would be nice should it be necessary.

I will be prepared to do hand washing in the sink and/or shower should it be necessary.

And yes I'm bringing his own sheets.

Reasonable in comparison with hotel laundry services on land. But when socks, underwear and t-shirts cost as much to get laundered as it costs to replace them, I don't consider it a bargain :D

Exactly how I feel, that is no bargain! In addition to the laundry mats on Princess on my last b2b on Princess we had reached the fifteen cruise mark in the Princess loyalty program and received unlimited free laundry and dry cleaning. Saved over $175 for two, on the cruises. The laundry mats are a huge perk and I wish Celebrity would offer this. For those that don't want to use it, that's fine but for passengers, like me, who do have to watch their budget it is a very nice choice to have.

Back on my soapbox.....if you want a cruise with anytime dining, book one. If you want casual dres...book accordingly. If you want a laundromat, book a ship that has one. Simple really. Choose your vacation according to what is important to you, do not expect everyone to offer what it is that you waht, This is the beauty of diversity.....no one can offer everything to everyone so line up your priorities and go for it.

My biggest worry is if my son gets something on his clothes because I can't send his stuff out to be laundered his skin is too sensitive and in fact if he gets something on our clothes it's a problem because I wash our things in laundry soap for sensitive skin so that he doesn't react when he lays with us so yes having the option would be nice should it be necessary.

I will be prepared to do hand washing in the sink and/or shower should it be necessary.

And yes I'm bringing his own sheets.

I have a child who gets rashes when her clothes are washed with regular detergent. Somebody offered hubby the rest of her detergent while we were doing laundry on our last cruise (15 days) and he accepted before I can stop him. I decided to take a wait and see attitude (that maybe she was over the sensitivity). But she started getting itchy when wearing the freshly washed clothes. When we got home, all of her clothes that were washed on the ship, clean or not, went into the washer to get re-washed with our usual allergen-free detergent.

On only cruise that 7 days or more, Princess (or another line offering self-service laundries) would win out with us over Celebrity.

Back on my soapbox.....if you want a cruise with anytime dining, book one. If you want casual dres...book accordingly. If you want a laundromat, book a ship that has one. Simple really. Choose your vacation according to what is important to you, do not expect everyone to offer what it is that you waht, This is the beauty of diversity.....no one can offer everything to everyone so line up your priorities and go for it.

Fully agree, which is why we booked Celebrity twice instead of RCCL - set dining & formal evenings are things we enjoy, more than the availability of launderettes (which some/a number of RCCL ships have). However, there's no harm in saying we'd like laundry facilities as well as the other things, is there? - and it certainly wasn't a complaint about Celebrity. Just a 'How could your cruise be better?' suggestion.

As it happens we've now found a line that provides a) set dining, b) formal evenings, and c) launderettes - P&O, and we've booked two cruises with them next year. However, seeing as these cruises will be from Southampton, in the UK, we won't be limited by flight luggage allowances, so we're unlikely to need the laundry facilities anyway! But it will be an interesting change to not have to go through the usual 'fly to the cruise' hassles.

Exactly how I feel, that is no bargain! In addition to the laundry mats on Princess on my last b2b on Princess we had reached the fifteen cruise mark in the Princess loyalty program and received unlimited free laundry and dry cleaning. Saved over $175 for two, on the cruises. The laundry mats are a huge perk and I wish Celebrity would offer this. For those that don't want to use it, that's fine but for passengers, like me, who do have to watch their budget it is a very nice choice to have.

Hi Alaskan, I have to watch my budget as well. I believe we all

have budgets.

I choose inside cabins, my budget doesn't allow for more. But I don't

factor laundry in the price when I am looking for a cruise~not something

that goes into the equation for me.

As for self serve laundry, I guess this is one of those topics

we are all going to have to agree to disagree.

If you are a Captain's Club member, you will have a coupon for $20 (laundry, not cry cleaning) for as much clothing as you can stuff into their paper laundry bag. We used it and trust me, we got a lot into that bag. Don't pay extra for the quick service, as it was delivered in less than 24 hours. They did a fine job.

Hi,:) some folks would like self serve laundry while others don't care.

Why does there have to be such animosity between folks?:(

I always read these and get the feeling if we were in person

a fist fight would break out:(

I am one of those who doesn't do laundry on my cruises.

If they could put an area in for those who want it, no problem

for me. I still wouldn't use it;)

Now, I agree with this post. If you don't like doing laundry on a ship, that's fine. But why begrudge the other side that prefer it.

I mainly cruise Princess and enjoy the convenience of the self-serve laundry. It makes my packing much easier and I would hate to have to wash sweaty gym clothes and undies by hand in a sink. I'm Platinum with Princess looking forward to reaching Elite over the next few years so I can get the extra perk of free laundry. I would bet that the majority of cruisers on any given Princess ship does not go to the self serve laundry. But why deny and deride those that want them.

One group would have more vacant chairs to lounge in the sun baking like cookie dough with Foo Foo drinks, while the other group takes advantage of the convenience of laundering their own clothes for an hour of so:)

Archived