Jewish couple on board for Christmas

ck53

LOL! Thank you for all your responses!

They do indeed enjoy decorations and most of the carols, so now I'm sure they will have a great time.

As for the all the kids, that's okay,they have a 16 and a 18 yet old in tow.

To make things even better, they love turkey!

It's a done deal, I'm getting prices now from my TA and I'll get them to sign up on the roll call.

Side note-

Boxing day, my mother used to drag me to all the stores the day after Christmas, Eatons, Morgans, etc and moving back to NJ I did the same w/ my daughter. We just din't have a name for it! Thanks for the memories!

Oh yes, they are well aware and like the decorations. We were just wondering if anyone had done this or if they felt it was alittle over the top for them.

It is the only time they can go due to College and hight school restraints.

Thanks!

You meet all sorts of people from a myriad of backgrounds on a cruise, I personally think that they will have fun.

It is not like going to PA Dutch Country where a waitress once asked us if there was a "Hanukah-claus" (you can't make this stuff up).

ck53: We will be on the 12/22 sailing on the Crown - hope they all enjoy it as much as we intend to. We'll all be in Aruba on Xmas Day and any Boxing Day shopping will have to be done in Bonaire....

We have been on several Princess cruises over the Xmas holidays.

As an earlier poster said, the decorations, Xmas music, etc. are no worse than what you will find at a mall.

On Xmas day, there may be a special dinner menu.

On Friday evenings, there will always be a Jewish service scheduled. If not a significant Jewlish holiday, a volunteer from those attending will be the leader of the service. Princess supplies materials such as service pamphlet, wine, etc.

I get tired of being wished a Merry Christmas, when the holiday has absolutely no meaning to me, and it seems like people forget that not everyone celebrates Christmas.

I work in a largely Jewish community and at this time of year I'm often wished a Happy Holiday. When people suddenly realize I am not Jewish, (cross hanging on the neck I guess) & apologize I tell them, "Any day I'm getting off from work with pay is a Happy Holiday to me! No apologies necessary!!!"

ck-53 and company,

Please join us on the 12-22 roll call thread.

I am not Jewish but cruised last year with a Jewish family we met here on cc. We had a blast together and had dinner together almost every night. That's the beauty of a cruise, you meet so many new and facinating people.

We've cruised several times between Thanksgiving and Christmas and I think the decorations are lovely, not over the top.

But on one cruise I was in line at the purser's desk and heard a guest complaining because they were jewish and there were so many Christmas decorations. I'm not sure if they wanted some taken down or more menorrahs.

CK53:

I think it very thoughtful of u to wonder if your boss and his family might feel out of place on an Xmas time cruise. Being Jewish, they are aware that they live in a "Christian world" and are a minority. They are not the only people who do not celebrate Xmas.

There will probably be a show that does have something to do with the holiday and decorations will be around.

I was on a cruise prior to Xmas and it was Channukah. Carnival cruisesline did have a small celebration for the Jewish population on the sailing. There was a floorsize menorah to be lit daily and tradional foods were served. The Captain and his family attended and they were not even Jewish!

On my cruises there have been all sorts of opportunities for all sorts of people with different interests in life to get together, such as the fraternal organizations, gays and lesbians, alcoholics anonymous. These are done just by having in the patters that those folks will meet at a certain time in a certain place. Its basically the same for folks of different religious persuasions. The chapel is there and set up at certain times for certain folks to use and it is announced in the patters. Its all very low key and most people would not even know or care that it is happenning. They instead will be on the deck suntanning or swimming.

During the holidays, its a little more obvious, just as being at the shopping mall is. However, if the mall is not overwhelming, just go with the flow and enjoy your vacation. Most cruisers are there to enjoy the time with their families and friends and to relax, having made a decision to leave much of the religious celebration behind. Yeah, the music might be a bit more holiday oriented, but not unlike the mall. Just enjoy yourself!

How's this for a nightmare....we were on a cruise ship several years ago with our sons (one who turned 18 on Christmas...and we are Jewish) and were there to celebrate his birthday. We were SCHEDULED to be in St Maarten on Christmas and were going to shop for his gift. The Cruise Director gave his talk about that port and was emphatic that ALL the stores would be open. Welllll ....we got into port that morning and not only were ALL the stores closed, but they did not have boats available to take people ashore to do other things. NOTHING TO DO...Most of the cruise staff had the day off, everything on the ship was CLOSED...meal service was limited and all we could do was sit by the pool all day and listen to TAPED CHRISTMAS music...same songs over and over and over....Even the Christmas-celebrating passengers were unhappy (REALLY unhappy!!!)...

Pat

ck53,

I have been on Princess ships several times on Christmas. Princess handles the holidays with great sensitivity and joy. I have never felt out-of-place as a Jew or a rabbi! It is one of my favorite times to cruise. And yes, Princess is classy in having a rabbi on ships for Hannukah, High Holidays and Passover.

One of our favorite memories took place on Christmas. Somehow our then four year old son, wandered off (we were probably chasing after one or both of our other 2 kids). When we couldn't find him, security and staff joined us in looking for him. Ten long minutes later, he was found sound asleep under a large Christmas with the presents!

ck53,

I have been on Princess ships several times on Christmas. Princess handles the holidays with great sensitivity and joy. I have never felt out-of-place as a Jew or a rabbi! It is one of my favorite times to cruise. And yes, Princess is classy in having a rabbi on ships for Hannukah, High Holidays and Passover.

One of our favorite memories took place on Christmas. Somehow our then four year old son, wandered off (we were probably chasing after one or both of our other 2 kids). When we couldn't find him, security and staff joined us in looking for him. Ten long minutes later, he was found sound asleep under a large Christmas with the presents!

Very cute story.

Happy New Year to all my cruise critic friends celebrating this holiday. :p May your tables be full with my favorite brisket. :D

Archived