First time on PG

cruzadict

To celebrate a "big" birthday next year in May my husband and I intend to take a PG cruise. Never having done this type of cruise before, even though we have many under our belt, I would really like to know which itineraries are the best. Would prefer a 10 or 11 night cruise with a pre-cruise stay of approx 3 nights as we will be flying from the UK and want to adjust to the time difference before boarding. Thanks for any help

Marilyn

I can only highly recommend the 7-day itinerary because it's so port intensive. It's like a hotel floating from wonderful island to island.

That being said, I appreciate it's a long way to go. You could do a pre- and post-cruise with a 7-day, if you wanted. The 10-day itinerary looks great too, the one that goes to Huahine and Rangiroa.

I'm booked on the 14-day Marquesas trip next year. Three sea days. A lot for the PG, but it's our favourite trip, so we know what we're getting into.

I would definitely choose the 11 day cruise. We did it in 2005 and it was great. We're booked on the 14 day cruise in November..the longer the better!

My ideal pre-cruise spot would be the Keikahanui Nuku Hiva Pearl Lodge in the Marquesas. Check it out when you stop in Nuku Hiva on the 11 day cruise. We fell in love with it. Just at the base of the hillside as you walk to the hotel, there's a little art gallery where I bought the most beautiful carvings. There is also a local hospital that has a small chapel on it's grounds. On the side of the chapel is a mural painted by one of my favorite artists. It's worth checking out.

http://www.avikiriaty.com/marquesas.html

Have a wonderful trip!

The rates are actually not bad. We looked into it and the tricky part is getting there from the little airport. It's either 2 hours by 4-wheel drive or a 7 minutes by helicopter. I'm not sure what the cost would be for the flight from Papeete to Nuku Hiva but I know they have frequent daily flights.

http://www.pearlresorts.com/keikahanui/location.php

I would suggest you look at both time and itinerary. It is not just about being on a ship. I, personally, feel 7 days is too short and there is a real benefit being able to overnight in Bora Bora and Moorea as it slows down the pace nicely.

Some itineraries are just more sea days and in that part of the world it is being in the sea, not on it, that is the value.

You're right, the Nuku Hiva Pearl looks awesome and does not appear to be out-of-sight expensive. As well as the transfer issue, you also have to fly there, and that usually means spending a night in Tahiti.

I would be happy to stay in another Pearl hotel--we stayed at the Manihi Pearl and loved it.

I'm sure Iamboatman didn't mean to sound ambiguous, but there is an overnight in both Moorea and Bora Bora on the 7-night itinerary.

Well, let me put it this way: While there are wonderful overnights in those two places, there are many islands worth seeing and running around to them pre- or post- cruise doesn't make a lot of sense. See more of FP.

Also, I find 7 day cruises are generally too short. Just as you settle in you have to disembark. Given the option: 10 day cruise and a 3-5 day pre-cruise...chillin' in one spot. But that's me.

I hear you. That's why last time on the PG (our third), we did a 14 day b2b, the 7-day times 2. But next time we'll do a different itinerary, at least that's what we've booked. But we like the land as well, and if we could not do the 14 day, we would do an extended pre-cruise and the 7-day again.

Thanks for all your replies, can't wait to get the brochure out once again and decide on the itinerary. Think we may do a 14night with a pre cruise stay of 3 or 4 days. Which islands are must see so that I can then work out which itineray to take. Thanks again. P.S. What will the weather be like in May?

Marilyn.

Even though I'm booked on the 14-day next year, I agree with Boatman. The itineraries with less sea time would be the best. Moorea is my favourite island. Bora Bora has the pretty lagoon with the most water-related things to do, and a lovely silhouette, especially pretty pictures from the private beach day. I've never set foot on Taha'a, we have always spent the entire day at the motu party.

I've been to Manihi, which is in the Tuomotus, Rangiroa I have seen from the air. It's an atoll, a low island, so not as picturesque. There, it's all about the water.

On the 10 day cruise we went to Taha'a and really enjoyed the Eco tour (along with the pearl farm and vanilla plantation). Some of the views were fantastic and we had a great couple of guides...plus the Cousteau instructors.

Rangiroa was also nice, but definitely not developed. There is a decent beach with OK snorkeling and we had a really nice bicycle up the coast (rented them via the ship at the nearby hotel). Again a Cousteau experience with a stop by an inlet for some interesting exploration. (I spotted a moray eel in about 6 inches of water, for example.)

I'll chime in here and agree that 7 days is too short. We have done both a back-to-back and the Cook Island cruise. For those who are just in it for the pure enjoyment of sun, water and beach, we probably recommend the back-to-back. Regent may have selected the best of the lot of the islands for its 7 day cruise, and with a back-to-back you get double the fun! Our Cook Island cruise was in '05 and was the first one Regent (then Radisson) did on this itinerary. There were some kinks and gaps in the excursion selection. The story at the time was that Grand Circle Travel had denied the excursion crew's request for an exploratory trip to the new islands to make first-hand plans -- but that is just a story and I'm confident the excursion situation is better now. One island we visited hadn't seen a cruise ship in 10 years, and the whole town threw us a parade and feast -- for free! Talk about nice people, and they weren't after our money either. Indeed all the stores were closed! The excursion desk set up a private driver for us to go to "bloody bay" on one island -- that is where the Bounty mutineers were attacked by natives and turned back. Three of us were scheduled to go, but one became ill and couldn't go. The cost was all of $5 USD pp, for an agreed total of $15 USD. Since one of the three of us was absent, we offered the driver $20 USD, intended to be the agreed upon $15 plus a tip. The driver REFUSED to accept any more than $10, being $5 pp for the two that went! So the Cook Island cruise is to be recommended as well.

Archived