need to clarify dress code

gettingmarried

We received our 'package' from Princess and in reading about dress attire I have a question of what do people wear on just a normal dinner night? Was I right in reading that you are not allowed shorts in the dining room at all? Or do they just mean 'cut offs' (not I we wear those!)
For dinner, NO shorts (even $200 shorts) but you can wear them for breakfast and lunch. The dress attire on 'normal' nights is "smart casual" which is what I would consider 'nice restaurant casual.' Most women wear dresses, sun dresses, slacks with a top, etc. Most men wear chinos or slacks with a nice polo or shirt.

We received our 'package' from Princess and in reading about dress attire I have a question of what do people wear on just a normal dinner night? Was I right in reading that you are not allowed shorts in the dining room at all? Or do they just mean 'cut offs' (not I we wear those!)

You will no doubt hear tales in reply to this of people who did dine in shorts. However they do mean it and I saw it enforced on my cruise. A pair of khakis will be fine.

For dinner, NO shorts (even $200 shorts) but you can wear them for breakfast and lunch. The dress attire on 'normal' nights is "smart casual" which is what I would consider 'nice restaurant casual.' Most women wear dresses, sun dresses, slacks with a top, etc. Most men wear chinos or slacks with a nice polo or shirt.

A rather valid point you make here. Regardless of what someone paid for their clothes, shorts are shorts.

Ditto to what WeBeGone, Pam, & Doug all stated.

Hi Gang,

Don't you just love it when this subject doesn't die?

For six years this same subject has reared its ugly head countless times...and I do mean ugly (some threads have seen electronic fisticuffs). Thank God for Laura and our CC Hosts!!!

I believe that if you play by the guidelines the cruiseline sends you in your pre-cruise package you will enjoy the diverse dining experiences on Princess thus allowing you to... "Escape Completely."

Cruising is much like NFL Football...try to test the referee (Princess) and you can find yourself out of the game (Horizon Court) and on a long cruise that could be really painful.

Ciao for now!!!

thanks for ALL your answers. To Ron, sorry if I upset you by my question. We are first time cruisers who have never experienced this before and WANT to bring to wear what is appropriate and follow the rules. If we don't ask, then we don't know. I thought that's what the purpose of this board was for....to ask questions about a subject one is not familiar with. Be happy.......

Gettingmarried

Like smoking dress codes can be a very touchy subject

I think you will find most Princess cruisers are happy and like to dress nicely on all nights to eat in the Dining rooms

Formal nights are pretty much what you make them to be ........everything from ball dresses to cocktail dresses to that little black dress for ladies and Tuxes to dark suits for men or even Full Scottish regalia

thanks for ALL your answers. To Ron, sorry if I upset you by my question. We are first time cruisers who have never experienced this before and WANT to bring to wear what is appropriate and follow the rules. If we don't ask, then we don't know. I thought that's what the purpose of this board was for....to ask questions about a subject one is not familiar with. Be happy.......

Don't let the attitudes about dress code on these boards scare you off. The attitudes on board are NEVER as opinionated as they are here. Do the best you can to follow the guidelines and you WILL have a great time. Don't always believe everyone elses intrepretation of the guidelines but just read what Princess sent you and plan accordingly.

First and foremost have a great time and keep coming back to ask questions. We aren't always so bad ;)

Getting Married, hope you wont have the same rude people on your cruise, as are on this board, there right no shorts in dining room , but if you do , so what seeya have a great cruise an a great honeymoon youll love CB PS were on the some ship nov4:cool:

• 2 years later...

:):)however...dressier capris are fine..

I would imagine that every day, first time cruisers find Cruise Critic. I remember when I was very happy to find it. I had lots of questions, most of which were very patiently, and graciously answered. I believe that is part of the purpose of Cruise Critic, isnt it? This isnt just a group for "old cronies" who have cruised fifty times, and get bored answering questions over and over again.

Not much of a welcome either, to tell a new cruiser to either dress according to the rules, or find NCL.

Karen

You will no doubt hear tales in reply to this of people who did dine in shorts. However they do mean it and I saw it enforced on my cruise. A pair of khakis will be fine.

Definitely no shorts. Common sense should tell you that!

Yes, nice jeans are fine on anyone except on formal nights. It is the raggy, torn (although sometimes very expensive) ones that raise the eyebrows and may get turned away. The dining room is no different than dining in an elegant upscale restaurant which likely has a dress code. For those who want the more casual attire, there is always the Horizon Court or Cafe Caribe.

If you want to wear shorts at night .....go to the buffet.....great food.....If you want to eat in style.......dress accordingly.

Ok this is a different slant on the dress code, I have problems with my feet and wear orthotics, I can't wear pretty shoes, the rest of me will be smart casual, or formal, but my feet will be UGLY does anyone examine your feet, and send you to the buffet because you are not wearing sexy shoes, I have to wear tennis shoes even with formal wear, so what will happen to the princess with no shoes for the ball?? :mad:

Archived