Firsthand sneak peak at Solstice (Merger of Several Threads)

Richard Stein

I think the only difference between CC1 and CC2 is "preferred location" so I guess it was just they had to start somewhere and that is the arbitrary line in the sand.

Or, the different colors just make the deck plans look really pretty. :rolleyes:

Phil, there is a single front door at the corridor. Once inside that door there is a small hallway vestibule with two doors, I am guessing one door to the left and one to the right at a 45 degree to the corridor door. I think the expanse between the two inside doors is the back wall to the bathrooms (that are back to back) just as if they were directly on the corridor as we know them now. When walking inside the cabin through that second door, you face the closet on the opposite wall.

I am picturing the vestibule similar to the hallway in the wing cabins at the aft that have that nice hallway section. With these new adjoining cabins, that hallway would have to cut into the cabin space, to keep the areas all even somewhat and that hallways space is then added to the 8252 cabin so the corridor hallway remains symmetrical with that single door on the corridor for the joiners. The hump cabins on the balcony side are all on the same plane and extend out to the same place off the side of the ship, so the real add has to be at the corridor side to keep the corridor curve arc appropriately subtle.

Of course this could be me redesigning the entire hump area in my own mind.:cool:

Hmmm...very interesting. Don't think I've ever given so much thought to a cabin, but I really like your theory and I know you know how Celebrity thinks. Good luck! ;)

Before I give up 1624....the overhang will be starboard also, correct?

I have 8252 for Solstice and here is what I think...

When the details were announced for the adjoining cabins, which 8250 is with sofa beds and pullmans, Celebrity indicated the design for adjoining cabins would be such that a common vestibule would be the method for allowing both cabins to be open to one another.

The idea is that rather than have the shared entry point in the middle of the adjoining cabins, and lose space and to some some extent privacy form noise infiltration and traffic patterns, particulary when the sharing is with in-laws and not kids, the cruiseline moved to create a front entry vestibule so the cabins remain separate and distinctly private, but the 'opening' is at the start of the cabin and not right in the middle.

In creating this vestibule on the humps, that takes floor space, so the actual sizing of this cabin I think will be different than the one cabin non-adjoining cabin #8252, next to the 8250 cabin.

I think 8252 will be a larger cabin and will have as part of it all the square footage that is dedicated to the common vestibule on the corridor that must become part of the 8250 adjoining.

That is why I think that 8252 is 1A, because it will have a larger SF than the neighbors and in ways similar to the afts on the Millenium Class (but not THAT much larger). The angled balconies next to 8252 will be smaller as we can see form the set backs in Andreas's pictures, but will be sweet as a reult of the extra large balcony.

So I think this is the story on 8252. This is why I chose it, and I hope I am right to some extent just for giggles on hopes for a larger space. No mater what, I love hump cabins and would not take an adjoining for any reason other than need. (but the vesitbules can provide some extra space for gear I think....)

Otherwise I might find it is a 1A simply because it is on the hump and not adjoining, so they get premium $$$ for that...

:)

Hi everyone...

New to Celebrity and I'm considering the Equinox in an AQ cabin, which is currently on hold. I like the cabin's location, but....

My concern is the balcony overhang on the Penthouse Deck. I have seen all the current drawings and the photos from Andreas (thank you, Andreas).

I would like some opinions from you seasoned Celebrity cruisers, including LoisR. ;)

As the PS, RS, CS and SS verandas are also under the overhang, would the overhang be a deal breaker for you? I assume that at sometime there would be some sun. There would also be rain protection, but wouldn't you think the cabins would be dark also, even with the draperies open?

In other words, since Celebrity chose to do the overhang for the most expensive suites on the Solstice and Equinox, do you see this as a "bad thing"?

I realize everything's just speculation at this point and I have many other AQ cabins to choose from right now. Just asking for some opinions, nothing more.

Thanks in advance. ;)

What the overhangs will be or for that matter the noise level. I would imagine the engineers have also had the feedback that we have gathered here at CC and taken some of the comments into account. Whether the overhang is a drawback or not is basically a personal matter. The noise from above decks can not be documented unti the ship is built and someone starts moving items above.

You stated your sailing on Equinox which is not going to sail until after Solstice makes her maiden voyage. Look for the feedback from seasoned Solstice Class passengers after they get a chance to sail.

The decks are steel and I don't think there will be significant dollars put into the build to reduce noise on residential decks below public areas. :( We have been under the buffet cafe, and if you are sensitive to noise then it's best to avoid. So if you live in the flight space of airline traffic, or work in or near cities with a lot of transportation noise, this kind of intermittent sound above is manageable. If you live in an area with no streetlights and little traffic, this will be noticeable sound and you might not like to have it interrupt your serenity.

I have not mentioned the noise issue at all. :confused:

Of course, I'm waiting for feedback from the Solstice cruisers. Everyone here is waiting for the inaugural.

In the meantime, I don't think a few harmless questions have caused any inconvenience for those who've replied. And, yes, isn't every decision made about a cruise a personal matter?

What the overhangs will be or for that matter the noise level. I would imagine the engineers have also had the feedback that we have gathered here at CC and taken some of the comments into account. Whether the overhang is a drawback or not is basically a personal matter. The noise from above decks can not be documented unti the ship is built and someone starts moving items above.

You stated your sailing on Equinox which is not going to sail until after Solstice makes her maiden voyage. Look for the feedback from seasoned Solstice Class passengers after they get a chance to sail.

Cabin crawls will prove to be invaluable as people start cruising on the Solstice and Equinox. It would be great to see and hear about all the different cabins once we can actually be on the ship or hear about them from people who have been.

What a great idea--will see if our cc group would be interested in a cabin crawl...

we picked one of our cabins as being the only one in that hallway on deck 9 without extra beds or connecting doors--but many other cabins seem to have pulldowns..sometime they rattle & I do not like them overhead..esp since it's just two of us. I'll have to check the location o our hump cabin to see what it has...hope it is not small--I know it will not be connecting

What a great idea--will see if our cc group would be interested in a cabin crawl...

we picked one of our cabins as being the only one in that hallway on deck 9 without extra beds or connecting doors--but many other cabins seem to have pulldowns..sometime they rattle & I do not like them overhead..esp since it's just two of us. I'll have to check the location o our hump cabin to see what it has...hope it is not small--I know it will not be connecting

I've never been on a cabin crawl...is it the same as a bar crawl?

I but for me the focus is more on comparing diff types of cabins .. it is a crawl going from place to place with little snacks/drinks...etc.. i guess it can be what the group decides to do...

I checked our cabins on the floor plan We have 9197 for Jan 09 & then 9215 for Sept 09--one is a hump & one is a plain cabin--no connection, no pulldowns... if anyone is good at looking at deck plan please let me know if you see any issues, inside or out...

Time will tell what our favorites will be or how we like the size of the ship...

We just switched from a 2B (Cabin 7195) to a C1. We selected 2108 which is on the hump on Resort Deck. I like the location, but I, for one, was hoping for a large overhang. Now it looking at the photos provided by Andreas, it appears that the overhang only applies to the two decks below us. Now I'm not sure if I should keep this cabin or not. I prefer the overhang and since it appears we won't have one, not only will I have to deal with that, but I wonder if the large overhang for the two decks below us will block our view downward?

So many decisions. I wish they would remove the big white drape over the Resort Deck so I could get a good look at what our cabin looks like. But it sure looks like we won't the overhang. I'm thinking I should switch to a C1 one deck below.

Any thoughts?

Jo-Ann

Jo-Ann - Which cruise? Do you want the overhang to avoid the sun?

It's the Equinox TA on November 5, 2009. Since it's a TA, I would prefer a cabin that has the large overhang in the event of inclement weather. I don't expect this to be a "suntanning" cruise, nor can my husband be exposed to much sun due to an autoimmune disease he has. I selected 2108 thinking it had the large overhang and now seeing the photos of Solstice (sister ship to Equinox), it appears the overhang is only on Penthouse and Sky decks.

Gotcha. I am not sure I have learned well enough yet which side of the ship to be on for this cruise to be happy with the sun load or to be unhappy about it. I am hoping that there is little or no rain even though it is rainy season, others have said they have had good luck. I imagine the cost to change right now might be a bit, but due to specific needs your consideration of a need to change may be more important than the cost.

Gotcha. I am not sure I have learned well enough yet which side of the ship to be on for this cruise to be happy with the sun load or to be unhappy about it. I am hoping that there is little or no rain even though it is rainy season, others have said they have had good luck. I imagine the cost to change right now might be a bit, but due to specific needs your consideration of a need to change may be more important than the cost.

I don't think cost will be a factor. We already paid more to upgrade from a 2B to a C1 just two days ago. I think the cost would be the same to just switch to another cabin in our same category. I just don't know what the deck I've selected will look like because in the photos of Solstice, that deck (Resort Deck) is still draped with tarps where the actual cabins are. I'm hoping they are set as far back as the cabins on Penthouse Deck. If that's the case, I think we'll be okay. If they come out further, we won't have much protection.

I think we'll just stick with what we have. If it turns out to be a less than desirable cabin, oh well. I'll be on a TA cruise for 14 days...how bad can that be? I shouldn't complain.

Jo-Ann

The decks are steel and I don't think there will be significant dollars put into the build to reduce noise on residential decks below public areas. :( We have been under the buffet cafe, and if you are sensitive to noise then it's best to avoid. So if you live in the flight space of airline traffic, or work in or near cities with a lot of transportation noise, this kind of intermittent sound above is manageable. If you live in an area with no streetlights and little traffic, this will be noticeable sound and you might not like to have it interrupt your serenity.

. . . just voicing in anticipation that all will be FINE with a brand new ship. I have never been on a "large ship" before and my Dear Friend has never been on a cruise before. Guess I am just hoping for the best and theat the experience will exceed my already heightened expectations!!!!!!

Coming down from Connecticut in January - I don't know how this cruise could go wrong to be honest. Looking forward to meeting many new friends on CC sail away party! :p

I have not mentioned the noise issue at all. :confused:

Of course, I'm waiting for feedback from the Solstice cruisers. Everyone here is waiting for the inaugural.

In the meantime, I don't think a few harmless questions have caused any inconvenience for those who've replied. And, yes, isn't every decision made about a cruise a personal matter?

. . . . in my posting - new to CC and blogs in general. My issue is with the various bashing of the Solstice before it is even completed in the shipyard. Call me a dreamer, but I picked the new ship for my DF first cruise to experience the best of what -X- has to offer vs. going on a 'fun ship' for 2/3 the price. I can't wait for this cruise and our time away from the frosty New England mornings in January!

Hope to see you at a sailaway or some other fun event during the week.

;)

It's the Equinox TA on November 5, 2009. Since it's a TA, I would prefer a cabin that has the large overhang in the event of inclement weather. I don't expect this to be a "suntanning" cruise, nor can my husband be exposed to much sun due to an autoimmune disease he has. I selected 2108 thinking it had the large overhang and now seeing the photos of Solstice (sister ship to Equinox), it appears the overhang is only on Penthouse and Sky decks.

I'm doing a lot of guessing at the moment;), but looking at the photos Andreas took and the published deck plans, I think those side cabins on the Resort Deck will have an overhang. It appears that the cabins on the Resort Deck don't come out any further than the ones on the deck below, so I think this picture confirms the overhang. I could of course be wrong, but that's my feeling at the moment:

http://web8.506.bces.de/cruise_xxl/displayimage.php?album=46&pos=17

Phil

Equinox will be my first Celebrity cruise.

I have not seen any bashing of the Solstice, just curious, anticipatory and excited CC members. ;)

. . . . in my posting - new to CC and blogs in general. My issue is with the various bashing of the Solstice before it is even completed in the shipyard. Call me a dreamer, but I picked the new ship for my DF first cruise to experience the best of what -X- has to offer vs. going on a 'fun ship' for 2/3 the price. I can't wait for this cruise and our time away from the frosty New England mornings in January!Hope to see you at a sailaway or some other fun event during the week.;)

Thanks for filling me in.

I must have skipped those comments, because I love every photo I've seen so far, especially the clean lines and contemporary feel. :)

I think there were some comments as to the largess of it, the edgy looking rooms, the lawn....

I think we are most past that now...:)

If I look at this photo and the with the opposite side of the ship in mind, I agree with Phil, think you will still have a nice overhang for your cabin....

http://www.depping-design.de/test/thumbnails.php?album=86

I am not good at this...file #2 of 25...image 8888....

Thanks. Hopefully you're both right and we will have that overhang. I know most people don't like it, but we actually prefer it, especially with my DH illness. If they would just remove that darn big white tarp, maybe we could get a glimpse of the Resort Deck cabins.

Am I mistaken, or does it appear that the aft balcony cabins have virtually no overhang? We couldn't get an aft anyway, because all you snobs snatched them up so quickly!!!LOL

Hey, either way, we're going to love this cruise!

Jo-Ann

"it appears the overhang is only on Penthouse and Sky decks"

From the way I see it...the overhang (from the pool) is above the penthouse deck from the hump FOREWARD. The penthouse deck cabins AFTof the hump dont have quite the overhang (from the oceanview cafe) because its one deck higher. The struts from the overhang end at the penthouse deck aft of the hump....similar to the sky deck Foreward of the hump. The sky deck aft of the hump has no issues with the struts. Good grief that sounds confusing.

Archived