Firsthand sneak peak at Solstice (Merger of Several Threads)

Richard Stein

Thanks for your positive comments towards my photos. If you like to see this photo:

http://web8.506.bces.de/xoops16_cruise/uploads/img48319e8ecd16d.jpg

in a very high resolution (3872*2592px !!!) you can download it for free after registration in my http://cruiseship-gallery.de!

Greetings from Germany

Andreas

Thank you so much Andreas! Your website is terrific too!

It just read on the Meyerwelft events page that on Aug 10 that the undocking of the Solstice and at the end of Sept it passes Ems whatever

that means. Thought it my be something to look for.

Joann and Bob

Danke Schoen, Herr Depping!

If you are ever on a cruise that I am sailing, I owe you a beer of your choice. These pictures are fabulous!

Thank you for invitation :-) . But if you don't mind, allthough I am German, beer is not my favourite drink. I would prefer a cup of coffee ;-) .

Anyhow I did not expected so many positive feedbacks and registrations on my site.

Obviously many of you are interested in detaills. Since these detaills are better visible in bigger photos I just transferred the whole set of pictures in a 1500*1000px resolution. You can fin them in my xxl-cruiseship gallery.

Here is the direct link to the bigger photos:

http://web8.506.bces.de/cruise_xxl/index.php

Greetings from Germany

Andreas

Obviously many of you are interested in detaills. Since these detaills are better visible in bigger photos I just transferred the whole set of pictures in a 1500*1000px resolution. You can fin them in my xxl-cruiseship gallery.

Greetings from Germany

Andreas

Ooh, Thank You Andreas! :D

We're booked for next year's Eastern Med (JUne 15th) in cabin #7352. From the appearance of the deck layout, this cabin appears to have a unique view on its own, separate from the other cabins. I took the advice from the agent, who calls it the "catty corner room" so this intrigues me more to wonder about it.

johnjen - From one Navy man to another (USS Boxer LPH4 - Norfolk based- Carib cruises), be aware that although the larger balcony and view are nice we found out the hard way that those type balconies are 'windcatchers' while at sea. The one we had like that was all but unusable most of the time while at sea. Your mileage may vary. Just a heads up. Hoping you have a great cruise with clear skies and calm seas!

johnjen - From one Navy man to another (USS Boxer LPH4 - Norfolk based- Carib cruises), be aware that although the larger balcony and view are nice we found out the hard way that those type balconies are 'windcatchers' while at sea. The one we had like that was all but unusable most of the time while at sea. Your mileage may vary. Just a heads up. Hoping you have a great cruise with clear skies and calm seas!

Denb - wow, thanks for letting me know about this! I never thought of that, thanks! I hope life is treating you well....there are quite a few of us squids around in this forum!

My guess is that you'll have a fore and port side view from your balcony, but will be blocked from viewing aft because of the cabin's 'inset' position. The cabins more forward of you will get more of an aft view as the rear 'hump' gets farther away from them. Does that make sense? In other words, it will be partially obstructed. Again, this is just a guess based on the pictures we have so far and the deck layout.

I just wanted to bring this one out for all to see. I am seriously now thinking about moving from cabin 7352 (starboard side in one of the "catty corner" cabins) to someplace else. And, the wind effect will bother my DW. I can just see it now - we're getting ready for dinner, we step out to the veranda, and WHOOF, her hair blows all over the place!

Hi everyone...

New to Celebrity and I'm considering the Equinox in an AQ cabin, which is currently on hold. I like the cabin's location, but....

My concern is the balcony overhang on the Penthouse Deck. I have seen all the current drawings and the photos from Andreas (thank you, Andreas).

I would like some opinions from you seasoned Celebrity cruisers, including LoisR. ;)

As the PS, RS, CS and SS verandas are also under the overhang, would the overhang be a deal breaker for you? I assume that at sometime there would be some sun. There would also be rain protection, but wouldn't you think the cabins would be dark also, even with the draperies open?

In other words, since Celebrity chose to do the overhang for the most expensive suites on the Solstice and Equinox, do you see this as a "bad thing"?

I realize everything's just speculation at this point and I have many other AQ cabins to choose from right now. Just asking for some opinions, nothing more.

Thanks in advance. ;)

I personally do not like overhang cabins but have had them with no major problems-- for me they tend to make the cabin darker & I like the light to come in. Other variables are at work, such as the direction of the ship, time of day etc. which affect how much shade or sun you will get...For awhile people said they made the CC class just so people would book the overhang cabins....

That said, . on a recent cruise we had a great "hump" cabin on Jewel of the seas--midships just under the Concierge Club...the cabin was wide but also VERY deep--could get two rows of loungers with room to spare if needed----it also had side walls--I felt too enclosed/shady & did not go out much but Dh enjoyed it for this cigar & crossword puzzles. It was more definitely protected..

Some of cabins in the photos have other potental issues like those near cross beams with circle cut outs...,,others have the X logo across the balcony glass (at least that's what it looks like) I just want a nice regular balcony with a clear view to the sea & stars.. If you have your heart set on CC or AC I would not let the overhang be the big issue unless you have already tried one & disliked it!

We also have an AQ cabin on hold, and will be pulling the trigger tomorrow, and booking it.

The overhang is the pool (Resort) deck; noise will be a factor starting in the early hours of the day with chair moving and continuing sometimes thought the night cleaning the chairs, pool and deck, and during midnight buffets.

Overhang also will shield the sun. Only early in the morning or late in the afternoon you will get sun.

Also these AQ cabins have a support beam that originates a floor below on the Sky deck and are supporting the overhang. The support beams are set in place at every other cabin, which I think it takes away from the beauty of the scenery.

If you selected a cabin on the hump, forward consider the wind factor and if you’re closer to the RS you may have several persons in that cabin and if they have family with kids and friends that have booked a less expensive cabin they may all end up at the RS until it’s time to change or go to bed.

After of a week of studying Andreas photos, danke schoen; we have decided to move toward the bow of the ship, these cabins have no overhang and they also will be much less noise from above.

This is just my opinion…good luck.

Bob

The overhang is the pool (Resort) deck; noise will be a factor starting in the early hours of the day with chair moving and continuing sometimes thought the night cleaning the chairs, pool and deck, and during midnight buffets.

With due respect, I would wait to see what others report about noise from upper decks on these ships.

We have been in similar locations on several different RC ships, and once on the Caribbean Princess. We never heard a thing on RC, but the noise from above was atrocious on Princess.

Thank you for invitation :-) . But if you don't mind, allthough I am German, beer is not my favourite drink. I would prefer a cup of coffee ;-) .

Anyhow I did not expected so many positive feedbacks and registrations on my site.

Greetings from Germany

Andreas

Andreas, they're great! Thanks for doing that.

I'm not keen on German beer either. Too much gas for me;) If I meet you I'll buy you some Costa Rican coffee. I'm not a great coffee drinker, preferring the tea, but Costa Rican is my favourite:cool:

Phil

With due respect, I would wait to see what others report about noise from upper decks on these ships.

We have been in similar locations on several different RC ships, and once on the Caribbean Princess. We never heard a thing on RC, but the noise from above was atrocious on Princess.

I agree. It really does depend upon what is directly above you. I've been under the pool deck a few times and never heard a thing apart from the occasional sound of footsteps when sitting on the balcony. It's really hard to tell when the ship hasn't been tested by passengers, but I do know I would not like the overhang on the Penthouse Deck. Some people prefer that, but I'd avoid it.

Phil

Thanks, everyone. Really appreciate your input.

I was thinking those supports were temporary. Glad I've been enlightened. They would certainly "disturb" my view also.

I had chosen 1624. I'd rather be aft than forward, but I'm actually now looking at CC or even 1 or 2A, as the cabin and balcony dimensions are identical to the AQ, which surprises me.

Sure, Blu is very attractive to me and some of the additional AQ/CC accoutrements are as well, but location and balcony are also. We usually like to choose a deck between other passenger decks, so I just may go with a lower Category.

Do you really get preference on shore excursions, luggage delivery & dining/seating preferences with CC (and now AQ)? Wouldn't you also think all of the mattresses will be pillowtops and covered with duvets? The photos show duvets in all balcony cabins.

Even the flat screens are the same size in the 1&2A cabins.

All of the other perks are really a non-issue for us. Nice, but not things I would absolutely cherish.

It's almost as crazy as deciding on wall colors.....too many choices. ;)

Phil, I just looked at your cabin photos. I wasn't aware that other Celebrity ships had the same overhang design. I'm with you....not my cuppa tea, either. Thanks for those pics....made my decision easier. ;)

It's really hard to tell when the ship hasn't been tested by passengers, but I do know I would not like the overhang on the Penthouse Deck. Some people prefer that, but I'd avoid it.Phil

It really does depend upon what is directly above you. I've been under the pool deck a few times and never heard a thing apart from the occasional sound of footsteps when sitting on the balcony. It's really hard to tell when the ship hasn't been tested by passengers

Yes, which is why I said what I did. I'm tired of the Solstice bashing before the ship sails.

Not that the post I referenced was "bashing," but we should all wait to see what the new class of ship will bring before making judgment calls about certain things.

This ship may be as well insulated as the RC ships I have been on, and noise from upper decks could be nonexistent.

I do know I would not like the overhang on the Penthouse Deck. Some people prefer that, but I'd avoid it.

Speaking of judgment calls, since there are many ships out there with this very similar design, I believe you are more than qualified on making a call about this issue.

Yes, which is why I said what I did. I'm tired of the Solstice bashing before the ship sails.

Not that the post I referenced was "bashing," but we should all wait to see what the new class of ship will bring before making judgment calls about certain things.

This ship may be as well insulated as the RC ships I have been on, and noise from upper decks could be nonexistent.

Speaking of judgment calls, since there are many ships out there with this very similar design, I believe you are more than qualified on making a call about this issue.

I'm still glad it was discussed because we had previously said we would never take a cabin below the pool again, after a very noisy experience on HAL where it felt like they dragged every piece of furniture onboard over our room each morning as they cleaned the pool deck. Now we'll know that these rooms might be better on RCL.

Sorry for all of the questions, but...

Vista Deck....Starboard...8250 is a 2A....8252 is a 1A. They are next to each other on the hump, are the same dimensions with the same cabin features and same price.

What's the difference and why are they 2 different categories?

Help! Thanks. :confused:

What's the difference and why are they 2 different categories
?

I think the only difference between CC1 and CC2 is "preferred location" so I guess it was just they had to start somewhere and that is the arbitrary line in the sand.

I'm happy because judging by the photos we are on the curve of the hump and will have a larger balcony. :) As for the noise on the Penthouse deck, I can state that after 12 cruises, we were always on the top deck and while we can hear some chair movement and running, it's never been at a time that impacted us negatively. Unless you go to bed really early or sleep really late, your sleep is not disturbed. Just my two cents....

Sorry for all of the questions, but...

Vista Deck....Starboard...8250 is a 2A....8252 is a 1A. They are next to each other on the hump, are the same dimensions with the same cabin features and same price.

What's the difference and why are they 2 different categories?

Help! Thanks. :confused:

I have 8252 for Solstice and here is what I think...

When the details were announced for the adjoining cabins, which 8250 is with sofa beds and pullmans, Celebrity indicated the design for adjoining cabins would be such that a common vestibule would be the method for allowing both cabins to be open to one another.

The idea is that rather than have the shared entry point in the middle of the adjoining cabins, and lose space and to some some extent privacy form noise infiltration and traffic patterns, particulary when the sharing is with in-laws and not kids, the cruiseline moved to create a front entry vestibule so the cabins remain separate and distinctly private, but the 'opening' is at the start of the cabin and not right in the middle.

In creating this vestibule on the humps, that takes floor space, so the actual sizing of this cabin I think will be different than the one cabin non-adjoining cabin #8252, next to the 8250 cabin.

I think 8252 will be a larger cabin and will have as part of it all the square footage that is dedicated to the common vestibule on the corridor that must become part of the 8250 adjoining.

That is why I think that 8252 is 1A, because it will have a larger SF than the neighbors and in ways similar to the afts on the Millenium Class (but not THAT much larger). The angled balconies next to 8252 will be smaller as we can see form the set backs in Andreas's pictures, but will be sweet as a reult of the extra large balcony.

So I think this is the story on 8252. This is why I chose it, and I hope I am right to some extent just for giggles on hopes for a larger space. No mater what, I love hump cabins and would not take an adjoining for any reason other than need. (but the vesitbules can provide some extra space for gear I think....)

Otherwise I might find it is a 1A simply because it is on the hump and not adjoining, so they get premium $$$ for that...

:)

I'm still glad it was discussed

Yep, I agree with that too. No matter what, it's good to talk:)

Cheryl, that's an interesting concept and not one I had thought of before. I am very interested to see how the vestibule works. I am having difficulty in picturing it, but all will become clear in the fullness of time.

Phil

Archived