Hard time on an NCL cruise... what can I do differently next time?

Tuneful

Hello, Solo Travelers! I am happy to find out about you… but AFTER my cruise this summer on NCL Majesty to Bermuda (7-day; I’ll pass on the date). I am a F in my 40s. Second cruise ever, first was some years ago, not on NCL.

Did I have a good time this time… not what I hoped. I guess I’m writing this to get some feedback and maybe some encouragement to try cruising again.

The pros: Bermuda was generally charming and pleasant, and manageable in terms of size and transportation. Good weather most days. Food (in the dining rooms) was better than I expected from some reviews, and with “freestyle” I could eat at almost any time and with a new group. The entertainment was good. Went on one excursion and it was pretty good (except for being all pairs except me).

The cons: No one came to the singles gathering; I met only one other solo the entire trip (not much in common); and no staff member showed an interest in the fact I was solo. I got tired of so many people assuming I must be with someone who was just off somewhere else. Although I am usually fairly secure, after a few days I felt like a misfit in a Noah’s Ark world. (Wonder if this also has to do with a destination like Bermuda, is it known for being romantic?)

Majesty was smallish and crowded and I found it hard to find quiet spaces. Not many activities beyond bingo, trivia, contests, and entertainment (with many events held late). Almost no classes. Didn’t sleep well on several nights because the ship had a lot of motion or I was woken up by drunks. I wouldn’t call the cruise a restful experience.

I paid 200% for the solo cabin (and the cabin BTW was OK) but I’m feeling kind of down about cruising again and as a solo. Anyone else gone through this? Should I give it another go? Can a solo cruise really be fun… uplifting… peaceful? Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks and Happy Sailing...

I am a F in my 50ties. I have done 3 solo cruises this year--1 with HAL to Alaska, 1 with HAL(Oosterdam) to Mexico and 1 with Celebrity(Mercury)to Mexico. I had a fantastic time. I think that HAL does a great job with solos--several lunches that were well attended.In addition you usually only have to pay %150 single supplement--was true to Mexico but not to Alaska where I had to pay %200, but still got a good deal. Do not believe the stories that HAL and Celebrity attract only older customers--probably true on a 100 day trip, but not a 7 day.

Try a different cruise line--do not give up on cruising!!!

My first cruise was on NCL's Dream in Alaska and it was great. I was solo and the crew was incredibly nice to me, especially because I was solo. It was a completely different story on the Majesty. The thing is both cruises had singles gatherings and no one from the ship showed up. In Alaska I was the only person, PAX or crew, who showed up and in Bermuda I heard no one at all showed. What was the point of having a gathering listed if no one from the ship was going to facilitate it? My next cruise is on RCI and I've been told by many that RCI goes out of its way bring solo cruisers together. I hope so. Maybe you should try another cruise line. I have heard HAL is also very good to solo cruisers.

NCL is not a line for solos. I did four last year as part of the "enrichment" program and found the passenger consist to be mostly couples that wanted to couple and not meet new folks or packs that already had enough people and did not wish to meet new people. Found with the exception of a 15 day on the Majesty, the diningroom staff had great difficulty dealing with a solo. I always asked for a sharing table but since very few people were willing to share I ended up eating alone the bulk of the time at every meal. As to enrichment it is my understanding that NCL has really cut back on that side of cruising in favor of things that can generate additional revune for the ship.

Cunard is very solo friendly but now that the QE2 is going out of service the supplement is the full cabin fare expect for last minute deals. I understand HAL likes solo passengers as do the higer priced seaborne. The mass market lines such as NCL and Carnival really cater to the crowds and the couples and families with little thought to solo travelors.

Thank you for the feedback and encouragement so far!

When I acknowledge now how I felt on the trip (and how I feel about the trip now, we all know how precious vacation time is when you work) I want to cry, and I am not a mushy type of person. It's been awhile since I've felt that bad as a solo or was so ignored.

I think you are helping me cheer up and move on. Lesson learned! Unfortunately I went for the promotion NCL had onboard, put down $250 on a future cruise and got $100 OBC (blew it on a ROBOTIC spa treatment), but I have 2 1/2 years and hopefully some BETTER experiences before I try NCL again or give the deposit to a relative.

I agree with you I think NCL is chintzing it in the food arena. E.g., the room service menu was terrible, only a couple of sandwiches and pizza basically. If I wanted Denny's I'd have stayed home. For breakfast, cereal, bread, and/or yogurt only. The DR meal portions were SMALL, 1/2 sizes at best, the only good thing was it made people less guilty to order two items. They use cheap substitutes, like "orange beverage" (on the room service menu at least) instead of real OJ. Soups and desserts had nice names but were like Campbell's with a couple of spices added or Cool Whip just flavored different ways with a chocolate curl put on top. You get the idea.

However, the personnel everywhere on the ship NEVER stopped pushing drinks. We passengers discussed that we found that obnoxious. I will say that many of the crew (overall) had a good spirit, no pun intended.

Dinners were a mixed bag. Thankfully one dining room hostess was kind to me, and I will always appreciate that. Fortunately, on only one night did I get refused to share a table. I had been having a pleasant chat with an older couple in the entry for about 10 minutes; we were then asked if we were willing to share (there was quite a wait otherwise), I said yes, he said yes, but she (the wife) said no in kind of a nasty way. Without sounding like I have a big ego, I think she was a little threatened! Unfortunate.

Another night I got stuck with a couple that complained endlessly. Fortunately two more people were brought to our table after 15 minutes of this torture, and they were saviors.

Norwegian needs to "get with the program." In every way, they are alienating an entire demographic (singles) that usually has a big network of family and friends to (hello) discuss their cruise, and often has a fair amount of disposable income to spend. How hard woudl it be to have a really nice "solo" (not "singles" event) with at least some finger foods and sodas, maybe a game or two, facilitator? Geesh.

Geez, it will be a miracle if I don't give up cruising now... :-) and

Geez, it will be a miracle if I don't give up cruising now... :-)

Grab that miracle and hold onto it with both hands. Don't give up on cruising because of one bad experience. Heck, my cruise on the Majesty was very unpleasant for a number of reasons, brown water in the shower/bathroom sink every day, a cabin guy that hated me (and all single women) on sight, door and safe locks that wouldn't work, among other things, but I'm cruising again, just not on NCL.

Ginnie, you are SO right. Brown water out of the faucets... big nasty signs telling you not to use your water bottle at any of their water stations... major piece of the equipment in the room broke and it was 2 hours of my time while they messed around getting it fixed... ugh!! The saving grace was actually Bermuda, but that felt REAL lonely at times, I had hoped to meet some folks on ship who would like to get together a bit on trips, taxis, offshore meals, etc.!

The Majesty is not totally bad, at all, but my whole experience left a lot to be desired.

As an RCCL cruiser, I can tell you that I've had very good experiences as a solo on RCCL. Yes, I had one time where my tablemates didn't show up, but people at the table next to me invited me to join them.

I rarely go to the singles get togethers myself, but that is usually because there are other activities at the same time that I really wanted to do.

I usually try and go to the bars and talk to people there. I have made several continuing friends this way.

I also try to go to the gameshows and trivia contests. Most of those require teams and so people will come together with people they don't know to form teams.

I also talk to people while waiting in line for things like boarding the ship. I went on a solo cruise for my birthday a few years ago and had people I met in line while embarking buy me lunch while we were in port on my birthday.

What I do like about RCCL is that I can be alone if I want to, but I always know that if I want company I can eat a meal in the dining room (where I will have tablemates) or I can go get involved in a contest or talk to someone in a bar.

I also think part of your problem might have been the destination itself. As I understand it in Bermuda, a lot of your time is spent off the ship. On most cruises to other destinations a lot of time is spent on the ship so you are more likely to run into people again.

good tips, wrp... (and others)

I think Bermuda is a very popular destination for couples... the ship restaurants were plenty full even in port, especially for dinner, as Bermuda is an expensive place... and we had three days at sea... I was hardly ever in my room, went to a lot of things from karaoke to trivia, but I don't drink (booze) and don't hang out in bars... however, they had several good solo musicians on board and they were worth my going to the bar (with the couples) to hear...

Ginnie, you are SO right. Brown water out of the faucets... big nasty signs telling you not to use your water bottle at any of their water stations... major piece of the equipment in the room broke and it was 2 hours of my time while they messed around getting it fixed... ugh!! The saving grace was actually Bermuda, but that felt REAL lonely at times, I had hoped to meet some folks on ship who would like to get together a bit on trips, taxis, offshore meals, etc.!

The Majesty is not totally bad, at all, but my whole experience left a lot to be desired.

Oh my, I'm shocked they are still having the brown water issues, they said it was a pipe/tank thing that was temporary. They probably need to renovate the ship.

Before your next cruise check the CC Roll Call boards. The CC group on the Majesty were very nice and provided a base of people to hang around with. although I didn't do any excursions with them. My upcoming cruise has a very lively Roll Call, hence my signature "Big Bertha, Chief Bartender, Insanity of the Seas." They are a great group and I'm really looking forward to meeting them in person.

So, girl, go forth and cruise again! It will be better.

I've done more than 20 solo cruises and NCL is not in any way solo friendly. Sorry, but I don't think Freestyle dining is solo friendly. One of the best things about traditional dining is that you start meeting fellow passengers on the first night. While they might not be solos, at least it gives one the opportunity to meet other cruisers.

My favorite lines are Celebrity and Crystal. I know Crystal is more expensive, but they have much better single supplements than all the other lines--as low as 25%. If you find one of their Value cruises, and add to the fact that all soda, bottled water and specialty coffees are included, along with a few parties that offer free drinks, you can wind up having a less expensive cruise than on a mass market line. Crystal is VERY solo friendly. They even have put aside special areas in the alternate dining rooms for solos to sit together so you can really enjoy their fantastic menus without feeling like you're being spotted out as a solo. And, unlike the mass markets, their alternate restaurants don't cost an arm and a leg---just a $6 suggested gratuity. Crystal also offers much more in the way of activities. They have their creative learning institute where you can take classes in computers, investments, arts and crafts, foreign language, fitness, piano, cooking and wine appreciation---and all those classes, unlike on other lines, are free. Even the wine tastings and martini classes are free.

Celebrity is a fun cruise line and also solo friendly. Their only downside is they don't give a break on the single supplement. You pay the full 200%.

And, even though you signed up for another NCL cruise, you can cancel it without any penalty.

Darcie, I've been off the boards for a while, it is nice to see a post from you again. I'm going on another 12-nighter, Southern Caribbean in December but this time on RCI. I'm really looking forward to it. But the reason I wanted to post was because I think you were the one who initially told me about CruiseShippers. I had a bad time with them last year but they were trying to work out the kinks. I guess they couldn't because they are out of business. Still it was a great idea, so I'm using it--shipping my suitcase Fed Exp to the hotel before the cruise.

Just wanted to touch base. Hope all is well with you.

Hi,:) I am another solo cruiser and so sorry to hear about your

experience:(

I sail on Celebrity (going again next month:D ) and have never

felt out of place on any of their ships.

The staff and crew always make me feel very welcomed!

I always request a large table for dinner and yes, I had one

cruise with a problem table.....but with 11 cruises that % is

quite good.

I am one of those who doesn't attend "Singles Functions" but

never seem to have problem meeting people;)

And yes, Celebrity does have that high single supplement

but I love the product they provide me.

And I love cruising solo!

I hope your poor experience on NCL won't prevent you from

trying another cruise!!!

Smart move to ship the bags. The company that went out of business, at least the one I know, is Virtural Bellhop---I didn't know about Cruise Shippers . VB was the one that lost my luggage.

For future reference, if you have a company called Pak Mail, they will ship bags for you. I have a Pak Mail store about 5 minutes from my house and the man who owns that store, picks up my bags, and ships them to another Pak Mail store in the city where my cruise departs. Once my plane lands, I call that PM store and someone meets me at the terminal with my bags. When coming home, we do the reverse. It's so easy. I'm leaving Nov 23 for two weeks on Celebrity Summit and I'm shipping the bags to San Diego.

I hope you love your RCCI cruise.

Darcie,

Thanks for the info on shipping luggage--I think Fed Exp will work o.k. for me since I'll be sending it directly to the hotel but I may use your method on the return.

Have a great cruise in November. San Diego is particularly nice at that time of year.

Hello, I too have taken solo cruises on the Majesty & done so for the last several years. The dining room staff, I agree, does not go out of its way to accommodate solos. I ate dinner alone several times on my last cruise but that's OK I eat alone everyday so what's the difference. That is how I look at it. I'd rather do that then hear "how brave" I am to travel alone.

I did not attend the single meeting & had no interest in doing so. Eventually I met some people & spent an enjoyable time with them. However, that is not essential for me to have a good cruise. :)

I agree - NCL just does not get it. We solos are a pretty powerful group and after my cruise on Jewel this past summer, I am done with them. In fact I have renamed them: the NO Cruise Line! I have never heard so many questions answered with the word NO. And answered very quickly, I might add! Usually if you pressed on in a nice way, you could get someone to help and sometimes even get a yes out of it.

In 30+ years of sailing, this is the first time I filled out a negative comment card. And of course I have not heard from NCL about it - but I did tell my TA, and she has a meeting next week with her NCL rep - kinda feel sorry for the guy, I think he is going to get an earful. Wish I could be a fly on the wall! I'm sure my comment crd never made it off the ship in Barcelona. I am writing a letter to Corporate, we'll see if I get a response.

The only two good things about the cruise: I got to see some amazing places (Western Med) and I met some really nice people on the CC roll call. I will not recommend NCL to my solo friends, nor to my "couples" friends either.

Don't give up on solo cruising, it can be alot of fun and there are great people to meet and new friends waiting for you! Try Royal Caribbean, it is my favorite, especially Voyager class. I'm not a Carnival fan, but cruise with them out of convenience and economics when I really need a break.

Just remember the best selfish thing about being a solo: you don't have to share the bathroom with anyone!!

Liz

My advice would be to pick another cruise line. I've never sailed NCL, but reports from singles/solos on these boards generally aren't favorable. Apparently that's not a niche market NCL cares to cultivate.

Roz

I am seriously considering doing a world cruise solo on Crystal. All reports are that Crystal does very well with solos. My husbands HATES to travel and doesn't want to go anywhere at all.

For me it is solo travel or none at all.

Stop over on the Crystal forum and see what is going on.

Thank you all for responding to me! I am beginning to feel better. I haven't given up on cruising.

Sometimes you see kind of a nasty remark on some boards like, "I don't believe people who don't do their research before going and then end up disappointed," well, I did LOTS of research... I just didn't find THIS board til afterward!

My only other cruise was on Celebrity, some years ago, and I did enjoy it, except that at that time on that ship they were not solo-friendly--the dining room staff, from hosts to waiters, just did not get it. But the cruise was still a good experience.

I am going to give the agency from which I bought this summer's NCL cruise an earful and NCL directly as well, but I don't expect it will have much impact. At least I am remembering the many beautiful view of Bermuda I was lucky to have... and some nice one-time conversations/hellos on the ship...

And willl start saving up for a cruise on Celebrity, Crystal, or HAL-- I e.g., I looked at some of Crystal's offerings and some aren't out of reach-- I couldn't pay 5 figures but they had one at around $2K... I have always loved boats and just love being on a boat.

Tuneful,

I did the same Boston-Bermuda cruise as a solo last year in June. I was my first (and probably last) experience with Freestyle, and I used to be a walking poster girl for NCL. Not anymore.

Freestyle is attracting the type of passenger who prefers not to mingle--ever--period. Personally, I think the confines of a ship are the wrong place for this type of vacationer (they need to be on land where they can wander freely so you don't keep running into them), but the price is right with NCL, so they sail.

As for me, I don't pay 200% to be treated like I'm invisible.

I wandered around Bermuda alone and I was fine with that because I'm always alone at home anyway. One day I met a couple from the ship at the bus stop and they invited me to lunch with them at the Dockyards, which was nice. But then we went our separate ways.

What you get on that cruise is lots of couples who have done it many times before and they know Bermuda like a second home and have certain things they like to do. They're not exploring and not particularly open to new experiences--or people.

However, the MOST miserable cruise I ever had alone was a back-to-back 2 weeks on HAL's Zuiderdam. The ship was fine, but if you want to see a bunch of women who feel "threatened" by a single woman on the loose--who are worried about losing husbands old enough to be your grandfather--HAL is the line for you.

And I don't think a single geezer managed to raise his eyes above my chest to look me in the face. If their wives only knew...;)

I met a couple of people traveling alone sitting around the piano bar who were great, but the couples--fuggedaboudit.

As a solo, I'd go with RCI or Carnival, but not NCL or HAL.

Thank you all for responding to me! I am beginning to feel better. I haven't given up on cruising.

Sometimes you see kind of a nasty remark on some boards like, "I don't believe people who don't do their research before going and then end up disappointed," well, I did LOTS of research... I just didn't find THIS board til afterward!

My only other cruise was on Celebrity, some years ago, and I did enjoy it, except that at that time on that ship they were not solo-friendly--the dining room staff, from hosts to waiters, just did not get it. But the cruise was still a good experience.

I am going to give the agency from which I bought this summer's NCL cruise an earful and NCL directly as well, but I don't expect it will have much impact. At least I am remembering the many beautiful view of Bermuda I was lucky to have... and some nice one-time conversations/hellos on the ship...

And willl start saving up for a cruise on Celebrity, Crystal, or HAL-- I e.g., I looked at some of Crystal's offerings and some aren't out of reach-- I couldn't pay 5 figures but they had one at around $2K... I have always loved boats and just love being on a boat.

Hi, glad to know you are still going to sail again:)

As for Celebrity, they are my cruiseline of choice...and yes,

there are lots of choices out there for all of us (thankfully);)

Sorry you were not pleased with the service your first time.:(

That is one of the main reasons I keep sailing with them. I feel

the service (I can only speak for me of course) but my service,

from cabin attendants, to wait staff and bar staff, to shop staff

has always been outstanding.:D

I am going again on Oct 12th and cannot wait!!!

I'll throw in my 2 cents by agreeing that NCL and freestyle cruising is not good for traveling solo. I also learned this the hard way--a trip on Pride of Hawaii that was great in terms of the ship and the islands, but convinced me that I would not go freestyle again alone. (Although some of the luxury lines do get high marks by solos--Seabourn and Silversea in particular, I think.) I did not consider that ships that market their freestyle cruising not only do not provide an opportunity for solos to share dinner with others but are more likely to attract people who do not want to socialize with others outside their group, so meeting new people even outside the dinner setting is less likely. An interesting point.

You know its funny. I was just looking at NCL to book a cruise for 2009 (people at work have gone, but they are married, and loved the freestyle concept) but I thought I would come here and search the solo board for any comments before making a decision; and this post was right at the top. Thanks very much for posting honest comments on solo experiences on various lines.

Its tough when you travel solo to make sure the right cruise line and destination are chosen. I have now crossed off NCL and Bermuda as potential contenders.

I have only cruised RCCL solo and have had a nice time. I am comfortable alone, but also participate in the group activites and book excusions thru the ship which give me times to be with others and socialize. I have also had the dreaded "alone at the table for 10" experience one night, but the waiter was so nice and got me moved to a table where some folks had not shown up and I had a nice dinner with a new group who were very nice.

Happy Cruising and again thanks for posting!!!

Archived