Entertaining Kids On Sea Days??

peanutzmom

DH and I are experienced cruisers, but his will be the first cruise for my kids (8 & 10). We aren't concerened about keeping them busy on port days, but what activities do your kids like to do on Sea Days? DO they get bored with the pool? DO they enjoy the Kid's Camps? DH and I are used to laying out by the pool or getting spa treatments on Sea Days, but I'm not sure what to do with the kids...

Bring a highliter and go through the caper at breakfast with them and have them highlite the activities in the camp and "family type" activities that you can all attend together, these along with swimming, shopping and constantly snacking:D will fill sea days nicely.

Karysa

okstpat,

I can totally understand your concerns with leaving your children with staff that you do not know. I am one of the most overprotective moms you will meet. My kids have never had a babysitter other than my parents or sister and I even homeschool them. With that being said, my 7 yr. old has been to the kids club on NCL, Princess and RCCL. They are not allowed to be alone with your child and they have had a background screening done. In my 11 years of cruising, I have never heard of an issue with anything inappropriate happening with a children's counselor. I think you should at least go to the orientation meeting and meet the staff. You may feel more comfortable at that point. Your children are old enough to let you know if they would like to go or not. They will also be able to page you if you are needed.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a wonderful time with your family!

My wife and I are also taking our 3 kids for the 1st time ages 6,7,and13 and she acts like camp carnival is just not an option, because she could not leave the kids with people she doesn't know. So I am worried about that too.

Oh you have NO idea what your missing. And you kids WILL know what they are missing when they start seeing what all of the other kids are doing. :D

I am a Work at home Mom. My kids have never been in anyone else's care when we started cruising. So I understand your concern. But once you get onboard....meet with the counselors. See the facilities and see they are 100% safe. You will be reassured.

Getting the kids out of the camp is harder than breaking into fort knox. :eek: The kids have to stay inside the door at the club. You have to show your cruise ID to sign them out. No one can walk away with your kids.

My wife and I are also taking our 3 kids for the 1st time ages 6,7,and13 and she acts like camp carnival is just not an option, because she could not leave the kids with people she doesn't know. So I am worried about that too.

I agree with the previous posters about not denying your kids the fun of the experience of the on-board kids' programs, but beyond that don't deny your children the opportunity to make new friends and have experiences that they would not necessarily have if under you and your wife's constant supervision.

This is a great opportunity for your kids to experience a little independence in a very controlled environment. They can meet kids from other places. The activities are interesting (my daughter has dissected squid, painted t-shirts, learned new games, etc.). We drove 35 miles south the weekend before last to meet one of her counselor's from our Pride of Aloha cruise -- the young lady had finished her last contract and is completing her masters in adolecent psychology at a near-by college. I think she is a great role model for our DD -- she'd completed her undergrad degree, took a job "in her field" on the cruise ship to make money to continue her education.

The counselors have control of the situation - are carefully selected, screened, and trained -- and thus are probably better qualified to facilitate activities with your kids than is your child's soccer coach, scout leader, or Sunday school teacher. In case of an emergency - they KNOW who to call and what to do. Our friends were on a cruise a few years ago when a fire broke out in one of the kitchens and since they were not able to control it immediately, as a precaution, they made a call to muster station. My friends 3YO DD was at their muster station with a counselor (who had two other children from the same station in his care) before they had gotten there. The kids had life jackets on (most of the adults did not). The counselor continued to keep the kids occupied (and calm) and did the same for many of the adults present as well :D .

If you are concerned, you and/or your wife can stop by the program, unannounced - just to see how everything is going.

And I also wanted to add a neat little addition in the kid's clubs. When you pop in unannounced (which we all do from time to time) there are security monitors at the front desk. There is not one corner in that club that you can't see from the security monitors.

So I pop in, check out the monitors and go on my merry way. :)

And I also wanted to add a neat little addition in the kid's clubs. When you pop in unannounced (which we all do from time to time) there are security monitors at the front desk. There is not one corner in that club that you can't see from the security monitors.

So I pop in, check out the monitors and go on my merry way. :)

I am so happy to know about this. My cautious 3 year old will also be happy to know that I can watch him while he's playing.

My boys (10 & 11) don't spend much time in the kids camp on sea days. We read the schedule (as another poster mentioned) and they usually find one or two things that they want to do with the camp. The rest of the time they're playing in the pool and on the slide. They look like raisins when it's time to get dressed for dinner!

Thank you all so much for taking the time to put my mind at ease. I like to blame all the worry on my wife but truth is I am a little over protective too. I guess you don't worry about it until it gets here but I am still worried.

Thanks,

Okstpat

Your 6 and 7 year-old are right in the peak for having a great time in the kids club. Your 13 year-old is getting a bit past the peak for having fun in the organized activities. This observation is simply based on whatching my kids preferences change over the years.

This summer my kids, aged 12 and 14, seemed to use the kids clubs more for meeting their friends and heading to other activities on our ship (Navigator of the Seas) - skating, rock wall, pool, mini golf, Johnny Rockets, etc.

From my wife and my perspective, the ship has always been a good place for the kids to experience a bit more freedom in a controlled, safe environment.

Good luck!

My 9 YO was not too keen on the idea of the camp, but DH and I nudged him in that direction on the first morning to see how he liked it. Both of my DS were very upset that we wouldn't let them stay in the camp when in port--bad parents, we wanted to take our kids with us :eek:

We tend to be overprotective ourselves, being older parents with just one (and only) child. We didn't take a vacation after her birth until she was 23 months old and hubby was reluctant even then. But we went to the Camp Carnival orientation (even though we knew she was a month too old and we weren't going to plead with them to let her in) and the counselors had some games planned with the parents and kids. On future cruises, we didn't hesitate to let her participate in the program. She would often wake up and ask us if "ship school" was open.

You will get a packet with the day-by-day program listed (unless Carnival has changed since our last cruise with them; Princess does this) so you can show your kids what they can expect in the way of activities. There will also be some activities they can join in on the adult side of things (arts and crafts, dance lessons...).

I work in the field of child abuse, so I see the worst of the worst and I am VERY overprotective of my daughter too. She also has never had a babysitter outside of family. She does go to pre-school, but one that has security cameras where I can watch whats going on. This will be her first time using camp carnival fully, but we did try babysitting when she was under two. The counselors all seemed very child friendly and loved kids. We didnt have any problems at all. Your kids are old enough also that if something were wrong, they would be able to tell you. Perhaps let them try a few activities and go from there. Good luck. I understand your concern.

Julie

We've developed somewhat of a routine with our kids on sea days. We have breakfast as a family, then younger two sons do Camp Carnival programs for the morning while we play the trivia games, get a specialty coffee, and play cards on the Promenade deck. We get the kids from camp, have lunch together, then take them swimming or take them to the arcade. They may or may not do camp activities in the afternoon after camp reopens (it's usually closed for under-2 time from 12 to 2 or 1 to 3) - it depends on the activities. In late afternoon, they usually have some "down time" in the cabin (either playing games or watching cartoons) until it's time to get ready for dinner. Most nights they have dinner with us in the dining room (always on formal nights), but some nights they have dinner on the Lido deck with their Camp Carnival friends. After dinner, youngest usually goes back to camp; middle son may or may not, again depending on activities.

What I like about cruising with the kids is that we have some great family times together, but we also have the chance to have a little time to ourselves and know that the kids are well cared for.

Archived