QE2 40th, A Few Highlights

stowaway2k

There is an excellent collection of press photos of QE2's maiden (and penultimate) visit to the Tyne on her Anniversary Lap of Honor.

http://3400.e-printphoto.co.uk/icnew/index.cfm?z=z Search keyword "QE2"

Their intention is for you to buy prints (too expensive:rolleyes: ), but browsing the photos is great.

Many of them are very dramatic and all of them are beautiful.

QE2 from the air, from the shore, on board, and the crowds who came out by the thousands.

There are some nice photo`s, i see some of Ian, Sue and Steven on the Bridge !!! :D

But none of ME !!!!!!!! :eek: :mad:

Gav (one cheesed off Icon) :cool:

There are some nice photo`s, i see some of Ian, Sue and Steven on the Bridge !!! :D

But none of ME !!!!!!!! :eek: :mad:

Gav (one cheesed off Icon) :cool:

But Gavin, as you are such a Famous and Wonderful Icon, any photo's of you will almost certainly outshine those of anyone else or anything! :p ;)

Sue xxxxx

But Gavin, as you are such a Famous and Wonderful Icon, any photo's of you will almost certainly outshine those of anyone else or anything! :p ;)

Sue xxxxx

You are so Kind :D

And also so RIGHT !!!! :rolleyes: :eek:

Gav (the modest Icon) :cool:

But Gavin, as you are such a Famous and Wonderful Icon, any photo's of you will almost certainly outshine those of anyone else or anything!

Sue xxxxx

Lady in reds

Much as though we both agree what a wonderful and charming man Gavboy is:D , Nothing can outshine that of the big beautiful object that we all go ga ga when we first glimpse it;)

Lady in reds

Much as though we both agree what a wonderful and charming man Gavboy is:D , Nothing can outshine that of the big beautiful object that we all go ga ga when we first glimpse it;)

Myles :eek: Behave, you will have the Ladies fainting :p :D

Lady in reds

Oh yes he is wonderful and charming :D and I did go ga ga at the first glimpse! ;) :p

Sue.

There is an excellent collection of press photos of QE2's maiden (and penultimate) visit to the Tyne on her Anniversary Lap of Honor.

http://3400.e-printphoto.co.uk/icnew/index.cfm?z=z Search keyword "QE2"

Their intention is for you to buy prints (too expensive:rolleyes: ), but browsing the photos is great.

Many of them are very dramatic and all of them are beautiful.

QE2 from the air, from the shore, on board, and the crowds who came out by the thousands.

Absolutely brilliant!

What a memorable day this was - Newcastle pulled out all the stops and greeted QE2 in a most regal manner. Thank you Newcastle! It certainly was one of the most spectacular arrivals into a port I've been on.

This October (unfortunately), I'll be on the quayside to welcome QE2 in. I like others will be following her as much as I can.:)

QV Baltic 18 July 08

QE2 Final Voyage to Dubai 11 Nov 08

Just wondering what Edinburgh did in the way of celebrations.(probably not much !!) Im on the uk trip this year and just wondered regarding the onboard special events did you get much notice of them? or was it only mentioned in the Daily programme the night before.

It would be sods law to book some tours and then find out l was missing something special onboard.

Cheers

Myles

• 6 months later...

I found this thread in the Archives to remind us of the "QE2`s 40th Anniversary" Voyage of the UK :D

In four weeks time we will be doing this Voyage again, but this time it will be "QE2`s Farewell to the UK " Voyage with some extra ports of call.:(

Some great posts and Photos to see :)

Gavin :cool:

Just wondering what Edinburgh did in the way of celebrations.(probably not much !!) Im on the uk trip this year and just wondered regarding the onboard special events did you get much notice of them? or was it only mentioned in the Daily programme the night before.

It would be sods law to book some tours and then find out l was missing something special onboard.

Cheers

Myles

Edinburgh was a big surprise, the press had obviously decided it was a non event as no one even seemed aware that she was even in town that day. Having said that it is wonderful to moor by the forth road bridge and tender in such surroundings. She looked amazing.

I wouldn't expect any crowds in Edinburgh, but you will have a great welcome everywhere else, it will be a spectacular and sad voyage.

We are booked on the Dubai trip which will be sadder still, I hope we have done the right thing booking on that one!

Have fun everyone, I hope Cunard push the boat out like they did last year, the memorabilia they provided free was such a treat every night when we arrived back at the cabin to find lots of surprises, as were the special menus and lots of items in the shops manufactured specifically for the occasion.

I wouldn't expect any crowds in Edinburgh, but you will have a great welcome everywhere else, it will be a spectacular and sad voyage.

Well, that's where your wrong, Queensferry (Edinburgh) plans of yacht procession and a flypast from the local RAF squadron, exact details are still being worked on. For a quick run down see : Scotsman Newspaper, Edinburgh Guide. If you can be in Edinburgh, here is the competition for a tour and buffet lunch on board on the 7th : Radio Forth.

There was some criticism of Edinburgh not doing anything when QE2 was here on the 40th Anniversary. The other ports were using the QE2 visit to boost their profiles, Edinburgh is already one of the UKs main tourist destinations and a regular cruise port during the summer so just did not need to get in on this game.

Well, that's where your wrong, Queensferry (Edinburgh) plans of yacht procession and a flypast from the local RAF squadron, exact details are still being worked on. For a quick run down see : Scotsman Newspaper, Edinburgh Guide. If you can be in Edinburgh, here is the competition for a tour and buffet lunch on board on the 7th : Radio Forth.

There was some criticism of Edinburgh not doing anything when QE2 was here on the 40th Anniversary. The other ports were using the QE2 visit to boost their profiles, Edinburgh is already one of the UKs main tourist destinations and a regular cruise port during the summer so just did not need to get in on this game.

Will you be there Jon ? :D

Gav :cool:

Will you be there Jon ? :D

I will most certainly be there. You are on this one aren't you Gav? I was going to go to some of the other ports as she went by but I am taking so much time off work in October that I could not take another week. It would be nice to get on board for the day but it does not look that way at the moment.

We could catch up in Queensferry if that suits your plans.

I will most certainly be there. You are on this one aren't you Gav? I was going to go to some of the other ports as she went by but I am taking so much time off work in October that I could not take another week. It would be nice to get on board for the day but it does not look that way at the moment.

We could catch up in Queensferry if that suits your plans.

Hi Jon,

Yes myself and my Dad will be there, will contact you nearer the time :D

Are you sure it wasn't snooty Morningside not deigning to celebrate some birthday girl from lowly Clydebank??

Any pins for this one Jon???

Hi Frank

Of course Edinburgh lets the old girl off with being a weegie because she is named after the English Queen. Hey I should know about these things, I used to live in Marchmont not lowly Morningside.

I did have a badge design for the tandem crossings but just did not have enough time to get it all together in time for the sailing. There was a lot of artwork in it and just ran out of time. The "Finished with Engines" ones are still out there.

Hi Jon,

Yes myself and my Dad will be there, will contact you nearer the time :D

Good good, we'll sort it out nearer the time. Goodness I hope it stops raining by next month

Archived