QE2 40th, A Few Highlights

stowaway2k

Blimey Guvner, that`s a long word !!! :eek:

Hang on , just getting me, "Roget`s Thesaurus" out !!! :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

Gav :cool:

Never mind, I'll explain it to you when we are on Lands of Fire and Ice. :) I thought it was rather a good word, but there you are.

Thanks to all who have shared their photos and videos. It has made me so glad that I found a cabin for the Jan 6 Transatlantic. All your hard work is much appreciated. I would have liked to put a green icon here to show my jealousy.
:D There you go !!!

Colin

Great pictures - I really must work out how you do this and get some pictures posted. Hope to meet you again. :) Let's keep this thread going!

QV Maiden eastbound Tandem with QE2 6 Jan 08

QM2 Caribbean 13 Jan 08 (3 Queens 13 Jan 08 NY)

QV Baltic 18 July 08 (meets QE2 in Zebrugge and QM2 in Southampton)

QE2 Voyage to Dubai 11 Nov 08

I know I'm a bit late - been working away a lot these past few weeks - but I've finally got around to putting some of my photos online.

http://www.cruise-addicts.com/photogallery/main.php?g2_view=slideshow.Slideshow&g2_itemId=202494

You'll then have to click on "show more info" to get the captions, and change the size to 640 or 800 depending on your screen. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any way to automate this.

Regards, Colin

Colin,

Thank you for posting such fantastic photos!

The "interior" shots are wonderful!

Alan

Hi Coolgran,

You and myself missed out on that Photo !!! :rolleyes:

But we were speaking to Mrs McNaught and Steven !!! :D

Gav :cool:

You are quite right Gav, in fact I have a photo taken at the time with Sue (Mrs. McNaught) if I knew how to post it I would, I did send it to Lanky Lad who might be kind enough to do it for me. It is just a wonderful memory. Not that I am trying for oneupshipmanship (was that the word):D

You are quite right Gav, in fact I have a photo taken at the time with Sue (Mrs. McNaught) if I knew how to post it I would, I did send it to Lanky Lad who might be kind enough to do it for me. It is just a wonderful memory. Not that I am trying for oneupshipmanship (was that the word):D

There you are, I knew it wold be a useful word.:D

The various photos and videos have afforded me a huge amount of vicarious pleasure.....and not a few tears.

Here it is (I HOPE!!!)

No it wasn't (TRY AGAIN)

The Greenock Telegraph has published on their website a videolog of QE2's birthday visit.

http://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/article.php?sec=1&id=16222

The crowds and sights on the Esplanade, an emotional interview with a former QE2 photographer, the Red Arrows, pipes and drums...and QE2

Nicely done. :)

Once again I have been wallowing in memories(instead of cleaning). Thank you Kyle for bringing this one to our attention. NOW if you could just find a video of the whole of the concert in Liverpool Cathedral----------------!!!!!:D

Just when you think there are no more new images to be posted, some great ones appear. Thanks - all those interior shots will be priceless next year. The mind's eye might fade, but we'll have these. Trying to figure out how to get everything off this site and on to a disk or my computer is the trick for those of us less technical. But thanks again to all! I'm going through a rough time right now having to put my 86 yr old father with Alzheimer's in a home (should be in the next 30 days). So for a "happy break" I come to this site to remember the celebration again and again and again.....

Here is a picture that Coolgran has asked me to post for her.

P1010133.jpg

Thanks for the photo Lanky lad,have only just seen it as we have just been back on QE2 for the Med cruise,its a good one of Coolgran and ourselves Maureen and John ( Ben my Chree)in the Princess Grill Bar. Must admit we missed all of your company this time.............

You have Coolgran to thank for the picture, all I did was post it. :)

Good to see you managed post a picture Coolgran :) but if you would like to know how to post a picture in a post, I will be happy to show you next time I am up your way. :)

Just when you think there are no more new images to be posted, some great ones appear. Thanks - all those interior shots will be priceless next year. The mind's eye might fade, but we'll have these. Trying to figure out how to get everything off this site and on to a disk or my computer is the trick for those of us less technical. But thanks again to all! I'm going through a rough time right now having to put my 86 yr old father with Alzheimer's in a home (should be in the next 30 days). So for a "happy break" I come to this site to remember the celebration again and again and again.....

This site was my salvation when my father died last year. And the people here helped me get through the funeral and so much more. I could not have done it without the love and support I received here.

You have my sincerest sympathy for your situation. I have volunteered with our state's Alzheimer's association. I have a number of friends whose parent or spouse died of it. The saddest I ever heard was a young man in his 30's with two young children. His wife had early onset. He had to quit his job to care for his beloved wife and mother to his children, whom she no longer knew. I walked behind him one year in the annual Walk in Hartford CT.

When I marched the previous year, I got in my car to go home, and the Jimmy Buffett song, "False Echoes" came on in my CD player (hadn't realized that was where I had left it) this is the song he wrote about his father with Alzheimer's. His father and Grandfather "lived by the Sea" They came from Nova Scotia (or was it Newfoundland, I forget) originally, and his Grandfather sailed the Caribbean and Havana. His father and mother both worked in a shipyard in Pascagoula Mississippi.

I know with your ties to the sea, you would appreciate this song.

Here are the lyrics:

http://margaritaville.com/index.php?page=lyrics&n_id=131

BTW, the ship is actually the Chickamula, and she is being preserved right now, by marine archeologist where she sank in Mobile Bay, A condo developer was bringing up some relics, trying to protect them before he built a marina there. the ship had been partially above water, and some time ago vandals burned it to the waterline. This is the ship that hoisted all her signal flags in Havana Harbor when Jimmy's Dad was born.

I can't read the words without crying. Bless you. You're doing the right thing. He will need the extra care and protection of people watching him if he should start to wander. I know it is hard, and harder still when the person you know and love is just not in that shell any more. Cherish the memories.

We leave Wednesday morning on our trip (And I think my Step mom is actually in Savannah babysitting right now!)

Not sure how much I will check my email at sea, but you can email me any time.

parrothead-av8r AT mindspring DOT com.

Karie,

thinking of you.

You have Coolgran to thank for the picture, all I did was post it. :)

Good to see you managed post a picture Coolgran :) but if you would like to know how to post a picture in a post, I will be happy to show you next time I am up your way. :)

I will get in touch on your e-mail and find out when you will be up our way, it would be good to see you and your Mum again.

Gardenbunny-you are doing the right thing for your Dad,for his own protection but it is still not easy, I know as my Mum had to spend her last year or so in a home.

I also use this as 'happy time' when I get upset that my Great Grandaughter will at best be partially sighted due to albinism she is just

about 9/10 weeks old now.

Haven't we had some wonderful photo's and videos posted to keep that wonderful cruise in the forefront of our minds. I am still hoping that the Liverpool Cathedral Concert will turn up on a video or DVD.

Take care Gardenbunny(Debbie)

Coolgran:)

I certainly appreciate your words of support and encouragement. He was diagnosed about 7 years ago and it had progressed somewhat slowly until this summer. He is more in his reality now than ours - which for him, all is good - and I suppose that isn't a bad thing. But it is hard for me to watch what this horrible disease does. I have always been very close to my Dad, and being his caregiver these past 8 years, I am very emotionally attached. But I have a grandchild to look forward to in April 2008. And I am already reading the brochure and planning my world cruise segment in QM2 for 2009 - I really like the 41 day one starting in Australia to Southampton - gives me something to look forward to! I still hold out hope just like you do Coolgran that the concert will somehow be found.

Archived