QE2 40th, A Few Highlights

stowaway2k

Thanks Jon for the great photos. Came out much better than mine

So glad I got a chance to have a drink with you all in the Princess Grill bar. That bar really is the best kept secret on the ship. Although Julie told me that since they put the sign outside it has become busier.

Paul.

So glad I got a chance to have a drink with you all in the Princess Grill bar. That bar really is the best kept secret on the ship. Although Julie told me that since they put the sign outside it has become busier.

Paul.

I'm in that area on the January crossing. I'll have it removed early.

Matthew

Jon,

the photos are really good,especially the cabins,you are right about the propeller noise though but what does that matter when you are on this ship.How did you manage to get so many shots of the Red Arrows,I mainly got the sky and a few birds.We wish we could work out how to get ours posted but will have to ask our daughter to help,

till we see you on the crossing next year,

Maureen and John;)

Looking forward to your pics. Realised I never took a picture of our table. It was a good table.

I took over a hundred photos of the Red Arrows, so I would have one or two that were all right. I did have my share of birds in the way too, on some of the best shots sadly.

Paul.

Well thank you. I enjoyed our chats and your stories of past events on the ship. Shame there were not more.

My friend was in Scarborough watch as we sailed by, here are some pictures.

Thank your friend for letting you post his pictures. The last time we were in Scarborough it was dull and misty. We were so luck with the weather.

That is the only problem with being on board not being able to watch the ship sail pass by, but I know where I would rather be,lol.:D

I always keep half an eye on ebay to see if anything of interest is going through reguarding Cunard but I was amazed and disapointed to see that someone had put on the lovely concert & ticket memorabilia from Liverpool.

While it is a free world I was sad to think that someone can throw away a lovely memory so quicky. :confused:

My friend was in Scarborough watch as we sailed by, here are some pictures.

Beautiful

Thanks!

What a great moment that was. The sun was even shining!

Before we reached Scarborough, I remember there was an isolated lighthouse, and I could hear it's foghorn saluting us as we sailed past...

I felt so proud and so lucky to be a part of this, when people were going through such an effort to honor QE2.

I hope, in March of 2008 when QE2 makes her final call here in L.A., that there is some effort made to pay tribute.

To paraphrase Captain McNaught, she will not pass this way again.

I hope, in March of 2008 when QE2 makes her final call here in L.A., that there is some effort made to pay tribute.

To paraphrase Captain McNaught, she will not pass this way again.

First of all, thank you for sharing your memories with us--can't wait in the morning to check your postings and I share them with my Cunarder friends stuck at work :p

I will be boarding QE2 in LA next March and am just giddy with excitement, and I too hope they will plan something special to mark that last trip. Will you be there to wave us off?

M-L

I just can't get over all these great photos - And to have some from them seeing us vs. vice versa! What a treat. That was one thing about my TA in 2003 from NY to Southampton. I never saw her on the water - So it was fun in port for me to just stop and look at her - and now to have some of these pictures...beautiful - and to think I was on it! I propose we all get together on some Cunard vessel in Sept. of 2017 to celebrate the 50th year!

Brilliant video Lanky Lad - thanks.:)

I will never understand why the photo shop on board did not include such historical events on this cruise on the DVD they produced of the voyage!

QV Maiden eastbound Tandem with QE2 6 Jan 08

QM2 Caribbean 13 Jan 08 (3 Queens 13 Jan 08 NY)

QV Baltic 18 July 08 (meets QE2 in Zebrugge and QM2 in Southampton)

QE2 Voyage to Dubai 11 Nov 08

I've begun getting my video of the cruise uploaded to Youtube.

So far I have a bit over 30 minutes of video uploaded, and that just takes us through the departure from South Queensferry.

Greenock and Liverpool will have to wait a day or so.

I may have overdone it a bit, but I want to recreate the impact of the cruise without bringing it down to quick video bites, but also not wanting to make watching them too tedious.

As we know, Youtube requires videos to be under 100mb, so that leaves them a bit muddy looking.

Much of the video is jumpy and noisy, but with the excitement, and the wind, well, that's how it was...

Bon Voyage

In order,

starting in Southampton:

A pause at Scarborough:

Arriving at the Tyne, pt. 1:

pt. 2:

Departing the Tyne, pt. 1:

pt. 2:

Tyne Pilot Boat paces QE2 and the pilot makes the leap:

Tendering to QE2 on the Forth, South Queensferry

QE2 Weighs Anchor:

QE2 Sails Down the Firth of Forth, Salute to Edinburgh:

Great video's Kyle, thanks for sharing them.

My pleasure, and thank you!

Of course, not everybody is interested in tenders and anchors and pilot boats, but these are things that caught my attention on the cruise.

For those really interested, I can send you a link to where the whole video diary can be viewed together.

email me at... stowaway2k AT ca DOT rr DOT com for the link.

The rest are uploaded...

In Greenock, The Red Arrows:

More of The Red Arrows:

The 40 Seconds Whistle Salute

Departing Greenock

More of Departing Greenock

Liverpool Fireworks

Looking Regal After the Fireworks

Two Ships Pass in the Night, the Grand Finale to a legendary cruise

Unfortunately, I've misplaced a disk which has much of our rowdy flotilla from the Greenock sailaway, such as the jam-packed chartered Balmoral and Saturn.

Oh well. :(

Enjoy, and thank you.

I enjoyed the pilot one, Kyle. I looked at it first. I was cheering for him the whole time. What an interesting job description that one must have!

PS: Just now looked at the one with you all on QE2 passing QM2--wonderful! And I hope every camera snap on both ships came out. I'm pleased and proud to know you nice people who enjoyed such a wonderful experience. How wonderful. Did I mention wonderful yet? :p

Thanks for posting these videos and memories. If only I'd taken my first cruise earlier than this year I would most certainly have attempted to have got on to this wonderful cruise. These videos should serve as a reminder to anyone that if they want to experience this fantastic vessel they have less than 400 days to get it sorted. If in doubt - go for it time is running out

PB

Kyle you have made all the memories come flooding back(they had not gone far) I have e-mailed you for the link I only hope I got it right. Have I mentioned you are a star!!!!

Thanks everyone!

When I was editing and uploading the videos, I kept saying to myself "Wow, I was there!"

I can't get enough of hearing the whistle blast.

Other ship's whistles sound like a cat's meow in comparison to QE2's lion's roar.

Here is a link to access all 18 videos together

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=B6F5FE4AC7E2BA58

Together, they are about one hour viewing time.

Thanks again :)

(ps Coolgran, no email from you)

Archived