Worst Illness You've Had While Traveling

diveoz

The Dengue Fever thread got me thinking! So what's the worst thing that's happened to you while traveling?

I'll go first! :D

We were driving down Baja California on a little adventure. We intended to camp down in Muleje, about 1/2 way down the peninsula. On the first night we stopped at a haunted motel (another thread). The adventure guide to Baja said we had to stop here for a crab dinner and a good night's rest.

So of course, we had our crab dinner.

About 4:00 the next day, while driving in the heat of the desert, the chills began. Within a couple hours I was downright cold!

That evening I slept with two down sleeping bags on top of me shivering all night.

The next day we continued on to a place outside of Muleje where we spent two horrible nights in a motel. By the second night I was urinating blood and jaundiced. The next day we moved on to Muleje so we could see a doctor. That doctor diagnosed me with heat-stroke and prescribed 1,000 mg tylenol tablets.

The next day we went back to the clinic where another doctor diagnosed a kidney infection. They did injections of god knows what every four hours throughout that day.

Fortunately my DW spoke to a doctor in the US that night and the next day drove the whole way back to San Diego... a very long drive... I was litterally begging her to get over the border in case I had to be hospitalized.

Once home in LA I was diagnosed with a nondescript hepatitis. The doctor was never sure if the damage was caused by the crab or the medicines that they treated me with in Muleje.

It was litterally 2 months before I was back to a normal schedule again.

DW and I have never had worse than a cold, but my SiL had a reaction to escargot on his/DD's honeymoon cruise on a Disney ship. He had never tried them before! His face puffed up etc, and he needed an IV. He now judiciously avoids anything in a hard shell!

Had what is now called the Noro virus. Both times it followed flights.

First time was in Florida ( no cruise involved). DH and DD got it first. I took a separate hotel room to give them their space. 8 hours later, it was my turn.

Second time was in London, pre-cruise, following an overnight flight. DD and I were sick for days, in a hotel room. We were OK for the cruise, almost a week later. Back then ( only 4 years ago) cruise lines did not ask if you had been recently ill, as a part of boarding check-in. I don't think they had made the connection that it was passengers bringing illness, onboard. In any event, I think sufficient time had elapsed.

We were on the Statendam in 04'. I was in the spa using the treadmill when the tread suddenly came apart. I was thrown backwards and because I didn't let go of the railing I was also flipped. My right shoulder was broken, dislocated, the rotator cuff was torn as was the joint cartilege. This was on our wedding anniversary on the first full sea day of the cruise.

We were headed to Hawaii and were already too far our for a chopper. I was kept in my room for the remainder of the trip, a nurse came every four hours and gave me a narcotic shot.

When we arrived in Hilo I was taken to an ER. They advised I be flown home for immediate surgery. There are no planes from Hilo to the US so I was put back on the ship until we got to Honolulu whereupon I was flown home. Whew! What a wedding anniversay, and what a cruise. Took me six months to recover and I just finished having surgery on that shoulder.

Fortunately for me the worst illness I've experienced is the painful empty pit in my stomach when I have to leave the ship at the end of the cruise! ;)

I do feel very lucky. Being sick on a cruise would be a real bummer.

Owww. I've had shoulder surgery, and it ain't fun. What a way to start a marriage. Get the hard stuff over with.

We've been fairly fortunate. DH has only been sick once, pretty bad, and it only lasted one day. Could have been what is now called norovirus, but it could have been his colon, which has since been operated on for diverticulitis. Who knows, but he sure was sick. We were on X, and had the best room staff running around trying to find jello and crackers for him. He spent the day (cabo San Lucas) in bed, gambling on the tv, and made several hundred dollars in between runs to the bathroom.

That was the worst we've had, and I am knocking on wood as I type since we cruise in 18 days.

Shay

Maybe that's why you now great such great treatment by the upgrade fairy now ... s/he's still making it up to you! :D

You read my mind. I was thinking the same thing. :) I'm also thinking with Kakalina's great attitude, she did what she had to do to get better and didn't have a team of lawyers bombarding with suits. Whatever settlements or consideration was involved was done privately and appropriately.

It is sooo good you still happily sail HAL and have such wonderful cruises. You always have great things to say when you return from your adventures.

We were on the Statendam in 04'. I was in the spa using the treadmill when the tread suddenly came apart. I was thrown backwards and because I didn't let go of the railing I was also flipped. My right shoulder was broken, dislocated, the rotator cuff was torn as was the joint cartilege. This was on our wedding anniversary on the first full sea day of the cruise.

We were headed to Hawaii and were already too far our for a chopper. I was kept in my room for the remainder of the trip, a nurse came every four hours and gave me a narcotic shot.

When we arrived in Hilo I was taken to an ER. They advised I be flown home for immediate surgery. There are no planes from Hilo to the US so I was put back on the ship until we got to Honolulu whereupon I was flown home. Whew! What a wedding anniversay, and what a cruise. Took me six months to recover and I just finished having surgery on that shoulder.

That is horrible... waiting days for treatment! Ouch!!!

Sorry, but I have to ask... how hard was it getting a settlement from HAL's insurance company?

You always have great things to say when you return from your adventures.

If I recall, their Veendam or was it the Volendam cruise was not the best cruise. What I especially appreciate from those who cruise often, including you, is that they are realistic and a one off cruise or situation occasionally happens and life goes on. I think it's called perspective.

Kakalina

What a story! I'm sorry that happened to you, especially on your honeymoon.

Last Christmas on the Maasdam my husband got really sick, and I thought we were going to be flown home. He recovered quickly, and we had to be quarantined (it wasnt Norovirus, but similar symptoms so it was a precaution). I wrote about it in my Holiday Cruise Review. I'll cut and paste that section here:

My DH has a chronic gastro problem, which most times is in remission but at times flares up. These flare ups can be anything from a few days that require medication, to full hospitalization for weeks at a time. He started experiencing some problems a few weeks before the cruise, saw his doctor, and was well controlled with his meds. In fact, it had all but subsided before we left and his doctor gave his blessing for our trip. Must have been the change in diet, or something else, that triggered a horrible flare up this night. My poor husband was in severe pain with intense gastro symptoms all night. It got so bad that at 3AM we had to call the doctor and take him to the infirmary.

Medical Care

Not something I would think to write about in a review, but this is for the curious. The ship is staffed with an American physician (in our case, an ER doctor who was on with his family). My husband needed an IV, Xrays, and several injections. I was surprised to see the level of equipment onboard – it was similar to a hospital room, and we felt very comfortable with the care. They were able to control his symptoms until we could speak to his gastroenterologist in the morning. After sleeping for a few hours, my husband was doing much better, and since we were approaching Ft Lauderdale we were able to use our cell to talk to his doctor. We all determined that it was some type of aggravation to his condition, and that since he was stabilized and doing better we would continue our cruise. (At 4AM in the infirmary I was certain we would be flying home and was mad at myself for not getting trip insurance – we know better).

The Quarantine

What can I say about this? The ship’s doctor told us he was almost certain it wasn’t the Noro virus, and there were no other reports of it on the ship, but since my DH had gastro distress symptoms we both would need to be quarantined for 24 hours. Not great news, and it was Christmas Eve, but we saw the logic in it and agreed. Now, how can HAL make the most of a quarantine? Believe it or not, they did. Our steward and his manager checked on us regularly, bringing broth and ice. We missed the Christmas Eve tree lighting and caroling, so a group came to our door with Santa hats, egg nog, and they were wearing surgical masks. Funny, but sweet and we appreciated it tremendously. The nurses called throughout the day to check on us, and came to our cabin to remove the IV. The ship also gave us a credit for complying with the quarantine.

If ever I needed an excuse not to exercise, that would be it. Glad you recovered. Looking at my signature, I see I was also on the Statendam in 04. I did use the treadmill regularily, but I guess it wasn't my turn to have that happen. As they say, ship happens!

I haven't had a serious illness, but on the Med cruise in '04 I had a cold, and for me the congestion is always the last symptom to go. So by the time we flew home, all I had was congestion and sinus pressure. I was fine until our flight started its descent. That was unbelievably painful - I thought my nose was going to explode off my face. All I heard through the whole descent were bursts of air in my nose and ears every few seconds. I have never been so glad to get off a plane in my life.

My mom has ended up in the ship's infirmary twice - on different cruises, but both times on the Statendam! For the same problem, too. She has a heart condition, and had recurring angina (she has since had a double bypass, but that's another story!). First was on a Mexican cruise in '03. She was drinking a lot of cranberry juice and wasn't thinking about the sugar content. It triggered a weird diabetic reaction that mimicked the symptoms of angina/heart attack. Then on our Asia cruise in April, she had a pina colada, and the same thing happened. I agree with you, WeLoveCruising - the facilities in the infirmary are excellent. It was just like being in a clinic at home.

In 2005 on our Transatlantic, a lady's foot/leg was injured badly when she went to step on the gangway. I think the water was choppy and made the ship move, consequently making the gangway drag along the dock. This was near the beginning of the cruise, and she was in a wheelchair for the rest of it.

If I recall, their Veendam or was it the Volendam cruise was not the best cruise. What I especially appreciate from those who cruise often, including you, is that they are realistic and a one off cruise or situation occasionally happens and life goes on. I think it's called perspective.

So true Hammadarling: It wasn't a bad cruise, just not the best we've ever had. Thanks for the compliment. Are you joining us on the South Pacific cruise?? Pretty please???

That is horrible... waiting days for treatment! Ouch!!!

Sorry, but I have to ask... how hard was it getting a settlement from HAL's insurance company?

They took care of my bills and paid my airfare home. No point in sueing anyone, they call them accidents for a reason.:) And it wasn't so horrible waiting, they gave me the really, really good drugs :D ;)

You read my mind. I was thinking the same thing. :) I'm also thinking with Kakalina's great attitude, she did what she had to do to get better and didn't have a team of lawyers bombarding with suits. Whatever settlements or consideration was involved was done privately and appropriately.

It is sooo good you still happily sail HAL and have such wonderful cruises. You always have great things to say when you return from your adventures.

Ah gosh folks, it t'weren't nothing!! :o Thanks Sails for the compliment. I do so hope we sail together one day.

While on a Princess ship, I got a sinus infection. I have them a lot so when the hoarseness, congestion, and coughing started I knew it was only a matter of time before the fever and pain hit. We headed to the infirmary. British doc. Never laid a stethoscope on me or took my blood pressure or looked in my mouth or ANYTHING.

Doc, gesturing to a chair, "Please sit." I sat. "What do you think it is?" "A sinus infection." "What does your regular doctor do for it?" I told him. "Fine. Please see the nurse, and she will give you some medication." $200 later, I had my usual (although in British terminology) medications and was out the door. It was a very weird experience. I missed Puerto Vallarta that trip, staying in bed. Our steward was very sweet and concerned. Now, after consulting with my allergist, I always, always carry my own antibiotic and decongestant just in case.

Robin

I got amoebic dysentery in the middle east. I came down with it just after I set out on a 5 day hiking/camping tour of the Sinai desert in August. I had no idea how much danger I was really in from dehydration. I was young and foolish, otherwise I would have been more worried. It was a memorable trip none-the-less.

It took a long time to clear. I had symptoms for around 4-6 weeks after I returned home (and that was 3 weeks after I got it), even with medication.

Never have had such serious illness that some of you have had, but have been ill several times on trips, which required a Dr. or Hospital visit..Once (in the 70's) had a tooth pulled in Mexico City (in agony on the flight) & in Tokyo had to go to the Hospital as developed Keratitus (sp?) & conjunctivitis of the Eye..But usually it's just a bad cold or sinus infection...

One very memorable time was on our Sailboat, going up the inland waterway from Florida to Rhode Island..We both love (or should say did Love) raw Oysters..In Murrels Inlet we stopped at a local seafood place & each had 1 doz (they gave us 13) raw Oysters..We were in seventh heaven!;)

The next day we stopped in Myrtle Beach & had a wonderful Italian Dinner..When we finally arrived in Southport, NC two days later we were both very very sick & only had one head..:o :( I blamed it on too much good food & coffee, but was told it could have been the Oysters.

DH radioed our friends (on their boat) & asked them to have the Dock Master take us to the Hospital.. My very best Friend climbed out of her boat (6 ft down) onto the dock to find her DH...He was checking our lines since there was a storm brewing & he knew we both were ill..We spent three days in that Marina & I went to the Hospital twice & a Dr. once to get the OK to leave..DH recovered much more quickly! It took me a long time to recover..

It's no fun when you are sick with only one head:( ..At least on a Cruise Ship, you can use Public Rest Rooms if necessary;) ..

Haven't had raw Oysters since then..:) Betty

While I was not one of the "plague" victims, I was at a historical re-enactment when a norvo type virus raced through the camp. About half of the (10,000) medieval re-enacters did. This was a camping event with the only facilities being porta-potties. In order to stem the virus, they labeled the Potties "Plague" and "Non-Plague"

For me the worst happened the week I came back from one cruise. One of my dogs racked her paw across my eye and scratched the cornea, then I barely recovered from that and I had an abscessed tooth blow out! (Followed the next week by an UTI) No wonder I don't like leaving the ship!

Not me - but one of my traveling companions got E-COLI from one of our cruises - She got deathly ill the 2nd to last night and we almost did not make it home - when we got home she went to her family Dr and they did test and determined it was infact E-COLI - The really bad thing is that the ships Dr was never around to help her and needless to say we do not cruise on that line anymore. They were very unhelpful and not willing to assist with her illness. It was a scary time for her and us.

We have, fortunately, been quite well while aboard the ship -- but this past June I landed in the emergency room acutely ill and in need of surgery the day before we were supposed to leave for our South Pacific cruise. It was embarrassing that in the hospital I became known as the woman who was supposed to be cruising to Tahiti. But as time passed I realized that if it had not happened when it did, it would probably have been me being evacuated from the ship. I am all fixed now and I consider myself to be very lucky.

Archived