Anyone despise booking airfare?

As much as I love trip planning and going on cruises and other vacations, I truly hate buying airfare. I actually get a little queasy when I'm going through the process. I hate that prices sometimes change dramatically and I never know when I should buy. I hate that it's non-refundable. I'm always so afraid that I'm going to make a mistake and put the wrong date and screw everything up.

I searched for months for airfare for my upcoming enchantment cruise. I finally bought it and a few weeks later the prices went down. Could have saved $200 (total not per person). Now I'm in the position to buy for our Monarch cruise and LA is even more complicated with all the different airports. The prices are finally lower than they have been for awhile, but they are still a little too high for my comfort zone. And then I have to decide whether or not to pay more for a direct flight. And I have to decide how many days to arrive before the cruise. Argh!!

I know it's dumb to be complaining about travel since we're fortunate enough to be able to travel. But I just hate this part. :cool:

I actually really enjoy travel planning and doing everything myself. If I'm happy with the airfare I'm paying at the time I book I don't even pay attention to what the prices do afterwards. I think the entire process of travel planning and shopping for the best deal is a lot of fun. Don't worry, be happy. ;)

Go to farecast.com and it will help with some of the issues, it predicts the fare cost trend for different flights. I know some of the airlines like Jetblue give credits when the price goes down. They put in into a account that you can use for future flights, but you only have a year to use it. This just happened on our last cruise I had bought airfare at 400$ per person and it went down 150$ per person, it cost me 50$ to put the credit in but then I used it for my son getting him home from college.

I actually really enjoy travel planning and doing everything myself. If I'm happy with the airfare I'm paying at the time I book I don't even pay attention to what the prices do afterwards. I think the entire process of travel planning and shopping for the best deal is a lot of fun. Don't worry, be happy. ;)

It's one third the fun - planning, doing, remembering!

Some airlines will give you a credit if the prices go down. It never hurts to ask.

And, doing it yourself is usually less expensive and more convenient that allowing the cruise line to do it.

airfare is certainly one of those things that involves a lot of thought...certain aiports are easier to get flights into and some are cheaper. We live in San Diego but always fly from LAX when we are traveling cross country...flights to and from LA are much cheaper than out of the SD airport. Its really just become part of the whole process for us...and typically if the difference is reasonable we will always try to get a non stop flight...its just so convinient to be able to skip the whole switching planes things...

We leave next saturday and just bought airfare 2 weeks ago. Found it really cheap from colorado to fll for 192.00pp. Can not beat that.

Yes it is a drag waiting but it was well worth it for us. We could not find anything under 350.00pp before then.

You could always go work for an airline and fly free or at least really cheap. In addition, you get fantastic cruise discounts. :cool:

I used to work for Pan Am and flew not only free but in first class, my first cruise was a interline rate of 99$ for a 4 day cruise. Boy I miss those days.

Try planning a family vacation where people are flying in from different parts of the country. And one person doesn't like the first flights you find, so you have to start all over looking, then the other person from that area doesn't like the second option you find. Then someone else from a different area decides they don't like their original flights. And...:rolleyes: I love my family but I don't always have to like them!

And people wonder why I frequently travel solo!:p

Agree 100%. I try to fly Southwest as much as possible. Not only usually the best rate, but also no cancellation or change fees.

Go to farecast.com and it will help with some of the issues, it predicts the fare cost trend for different flights.

Thank you. Ha, I've actually been to that site before apparently because all my info for my FLL flight was in there. I don't remember it at all though :D It's telling me to wait, that makes me nervous.

As much as I love trip planning and going on cruises and other vacations, I truly hate buying airfare. I actually get a little queasy when I'm going through the process. I hate that prices sometimes change dramatically and I never know when I should buy. I hate that it's non-refundable. I'm always so afraid that I'm going to make a mistake and put the wrong date and screw everything up.

I searched for months for airfare for my upcoming enchantment cruise. I finally bought it and a few weeks later the prices went down. Could have saved $200 (total not per person). Now I'm in the position to buy for our Monarch cruise and LA is even more complicated with all the different airports. The prices are finally lower than they have been for awhile, but they are still a little too high for my comfort zone. And then I have to decide whether or not to pay more for a direct flight. And I have to decide how many days to arrive before the cruise. Argh!!

I know it's dumb to be complaining about travel since we're fortunate enough to be able to travel. But I just hate this part. :cool:

I totally agree!! I was boo hooing on this board last weekend because I wanted to sail on Enchantment on November 5th and couldn't get air for the 4 of us at a reasonable price. Is that the date you are sailing?

We are sailing on the Adventure on Easter day and I was watching the air for months. The flight I wanted and was hoping would drop went from $219 each was to over $500 each way. If you have the ability to fly Southwest, someone suggested to me to sign up for the ding. I still haven't been able to get a flight, to Ft Lauderdale or Miami, but the ding rates are great. Good luck booking your flight and have a great cruise!

Terri

Beth -

Did you say you contacted the airlines and they won't give you a credit?

Thanks to an angel on this board who posted when SouthWest opened their airfare for this fall, I booked the first day and got $198 round trip from Denver to Orlando. I was thrilled, and it also helped keep me from canceling our cruise (money is a bit tight), because I thought I got such a great deal on airfare - how could we not go?? (Great deal on the cruise too by the way :)

I too hate the process.....I start watching fares about 9-12 months out to see what the trend is.

It is so frustrating because it can change rapidly. or by switching carriers you may get a better flight schedule.

This trip we have 23 people traveling so I wanted to give everyone a heads up when prices changed.

Midwest went down so I called people. They would only let me book 4 seats so I did than started over to book the last 2 since neede 6 total.....in the less than 5 min it took to start over the price went up $30. What a rip.

Later that same evening the price went up another $50.....I couldn't believe the fluctuation within the same 6hr period.

I used to work for Pan Am and flew not only free but in first class, my first cruise was a interline rate of 99$ for a 4 day cruise. Boy I miss those days.

Sue my DH's uncle use to work for Pan Am as well. Dh's uncle, Aunt, & most of the time his MIL use to fly for next to nothing. Pam Am was the first airline I flew on I went to Puerto Rico. It was a shame to see them go out of business, I always thought they had the best terminal at JFK. I use to love it when we flew TWA so we could leave from that terminal.

If southwest flys near you they are the only airlines that lets you change your ticket when the price drops & there are no charges. I have about 258.00 credit with then because my Aug flights went down in price three times & I happen to catch it.

Archived