Where do you put it?

Solo Cruiser

Here is the link to the site I got mine on.......

http://mileskimball.resultspage.com/search?p=Q&ts=custom&w=purse%20caddy

I have #1 and #2 I love them:)

Those hangers are great, however, if you are sitting at a large round table with 6-10 folks...your purse might get in the way of the next person's leg on some ships.

I know that on CCL Ecstasy...we hardly had room to spare at the large round tables..and our elbows were almost touching each other...with chairs right up to each other. Might want to take that in consideration.

Of course putting your purse on your lap doesn't take up much room, if it is a small purse. ITA...don't put your purse on the table..if it has been on any floors!:eek:

Hi Mona:) guess I have been lucky then...my purse never bothered

the person next to me:D ...maybe the tables I have been seated

at were larger than the ones you were sitting at?

Oh, I always sit at large tables...usually 6 or 8 tops. I have

never had a problem before (thankfully)!

I'm fluffy, too, but I also have short legs, so I don't have a lap! :eek: Half the time my napkin ends up on the floor, and I have to ask the steward for a new one. :o Happy cruising!

Robin

Me too. :)

Cori

Well, Carnival-Ecstasy was the only ship I have been on with a large table that I felt like my elbows were almost bumping others at the table. They must have had smaller-size tables and try to fit 6-8 at them.

Oh found a photo of us on the Ecstasy in the main dining room. As you can see in the photo below...we were elbow to elbow at that table. And the chairs did NOT have arms on them either. The 3 of us sitting down in the middle of the photo(me-black hair, gal and her DH) were sitting staight in our chairs, even though my friend (on the left of me) was leaning over near me. And the other gal on the end was leaning in for all of us to get in the photo. There really was NOT any room between any of us for any purse to hang from the table. Just wanted to mention some ships dining tables are not as roomy as others, so please take that into consideration.

SEE PHOTO BELOW:

DSCN1831.jpg

Look at Lois's thread.

Solocruiser posted this 2 days before Lois's thread which I am sure was in response to this one. Not all of us want or would use a purse hook like that. If I have an evening bag it is usually a clutch type with no strap so it does not work for me. On a cruise I generally do not take a bag of any sort. My husband will carry my room key with his and there is nothing else I need.

I think a small purse in your lap covered by a napkin is a great alternative to a purse hook.

monakayk: Wow, you were really squished around that table, weren't you? We've always had room at our tables (and we've had 6, 8 and 10 top) so that we weren't elbow to elbow. I've always had space to put my purse caddy between DH and myself without worrying about either of us either bumping the evening bag or running into the caddy on the table.

RachieLnnn: Purse caddies are very small - the part that sits on the table is about the size of a silver dollar and the hook itself is very thin and fits nicely inside you evening bag without being bulky at all.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I agree I've never been at a table where we were so tight. I might eat sardines, but I don't want to sit like one! :D Maybe Carnival stuffs 'em in. Personally, if I were at a table where room was so tight I was elbow to elbow with the next person and there was no room for my handbag hanging from a purse-hook, I'd request another table with less people.

Not all of us want or would use a purse hook like that. If I have an evening bag it is usually a clutch type with no strap so it does not work for me. On a cruise I generally do not take a bag of any sort. My husband will carry my room key with his and there is nothing else I need.

No one said it's a must, it was suggested because many don't know about them.

I think a small purse in your lap covered by a napkin is a great alternative to a purse hook.

LOL!!! The point of this thread was that a purse hook was an alternative for those who didn't want to keep their purse on their lap covered by the napkin. :D

No one said it's a must, it was suggested because many don't know about them.

LOL!!! The point of this thread was that a purse hook was an alternative for those who didn't want to keep their purse on their lap covered by the napkin. :D

I thought the point of this thread was where to put your purse if you don't want to put it on the table or the floor unless I misunderstood the first post. When posters ask a question often times they are directed to do a search or to look at another post. In this case, the post about purse hooks didn't come about until 2 days after this original post. Why can't questions just be answered. Purse hooks aren't the only answer and Solocruiser has gotten several answers by asking a specific question on her own thread.

Sometimes I carry a clutch type of evening bag so I either put it behind me in the chair or on the floor under my chair so that there isn't much likelihood that anyone would be stepping on it.

Just recently on a vacation in Mexico, we dined at an upscale restaurant and they brought the most ingenious item to the table to hold our purses. It was a smallish clothes tree about 3 ft. tall which stood on the floor and had little posts that held the handbags. I had never seen anything like it before and it certainly avoided having the serving staff tripping over ladies purse placed on the floor.

I agree I've never been at a table where we were so tight. I might eat sardines, but I don't want to sit like one! :D Maybe Carnival stuffs 'em in. Personally, if I were at a table where room was so tight I was elbow to elbow with the next person and there was no room for my handbag hanging from a purse-hook, I'd request another table with less people.

Yes, It was very crowded and tight to say the least. However, after the first evening dining, the folks at the table were very nice and we wanted to continue dining with them. In fact, as it turned out without pre-arranging it, the young blond girl (on the end) was a member of our roll call I had messaged too. She was sailing with her parents (beside me)so it was nice to get to finally meet her in person and get to know her and her folks. So asking for another table was not an option.

We most certainly got to 'know' each other at the table being so close. LOL. At least with a table that small with so many folks at it, you don't have to feel like you can not have a conversation with everyone at the table cause they are sitting so far from you!

First of all thank you all so much for the great responses to my question. I checked inside the evening clutches and low and behold there were small straps so I headed to Walgreens to get a look at the purse hooks. They are indeed tiny and you got one silvertone and one goldtone one in the pack for just under $10. Yep I brought them home and now I'm all set. They are small enough to fit inside the clutches and they are balanced enough to hold even my large bag, think it said it held up to 25 pounds. I'm putting them inside my evening bags before they get packed.

• 2 weeks later...

A little off topic, but still concerning purses. You don't really have to worry about looking after your purse on a cruise, but you do out in the "real world".

Some bars have built in hooks for a purse/coat. Just the other day, one of the women on the morning radio show I was listening to was out at a bar in a trendy neighborhood and had her purse on the hook. She felt something brush her lag, and looked down and saw the women next to her had her hand in her purse. When the radio host said something to the other woman, she just said she thought she was in her own purse. Hmmmm....she didn't buy that excuse but didn't push it any farther.

Also read about purse safety even in churches. I suppose they caught this woman and she said she frequented churches on rainy days and brough in a full size umbrella with the crook handle. She would use the handle to grab purses on the floor in the pew in front of her and take whatever from it. And you would think church would be the safest place, but I guess you can't assume everyone is there to attend services.

Bottom line of the article was that the safest place for your purse is on your lap, even though that's not always the most comfortable or practical thing.

Archived