Full Payment Upfront -Need Your Input

Juliadlf

I'm hoping there are some TA's or others out there who can answer this question as we've not run into this issue before.

Our TA who has priced matched a cruise we are interested in has asked for full payment upfront even though the cruise is more than 1 year away. When I asked why the agency is requesting full payment, the response is as follows:

"These are my terms, not the agency. When a booking is made with 0 remaining margin, this is what I ask for. This is what we call a courtesy booking. We are happy to do it for free but we need final payment upfront."

This could be normal practice but since we aren't in the travel agency business we are not sure of what is normal practice. Before we jump into something, I'd like to get some feedback from others. Appreciate any info which sheds light on this usual situation we've run into.

Thanks

Julia

I am a TA, and honestly have never heard of such a thing...a couple questions come to my mind...why would they work for nothing in the first place? The other and more important question is to ask who charges your card. I would run fast if they say the agency charges the card. If they pass it on to the cruiseline (which is normal procedure) then I guess you have to decide if you are comfortable with this arrangement 1 year in advance? Can I ask how much of a discount you received?

I'm hoping there are some TA's or others out there who can answer this question as we've not run into this issue before.

Our TA who has priced matched a cruise we are interested in has asked for full payment upfront even though the cruise is more than 1 year away. When I asked why the agency is requesting full payment, the response is as follows:

"These are my terms, not the agency. When a booking is made with 0 remaining margin, this is what I ask for. This is what we call a courtesy booking. We are happy to do it for free but we need final payment upfront."

Julia, run, do not walk, away from this person. I have never heard of a travel agent dictating their own policy away from their employer. I do know that HAL does have some special rates that require payment in full; but for the life of me, I don't know why a TA would give you a "courtesy booking" and make nothing in return.

I guess that is one reason I've never asked one to price match. Therer are certain conditions that exist for a price to exist and for whatever reason is not consistent.

If price is that important, go with the lower priced TA. With the brain damage you are causing yourself, is it really worth it?

I would report this agent to her supervisor AND to the cruise line and tell the cruise line the strong arm tactics this agent is using. What I'm guessing is: she's going to take your money, put it in an account in her name, and use the interest as "her" commission. This is unethical.

I have to say I don't feel we are getting the "complete" story from the TA and I've gone back and asked for more defined explanation as to the rationale for the full payment. If other agencies are quoting the same price (which this agency has agreed to price match to) with only a normal deposit then why shouldn't this agency do the same.

We are a heck of a nice couple but I doubt that's the answer as to why they are willing to get 0 margin. And yes, I've compared apples to apples along with any amenities/perks. TA did not indicate this was a HAL special and if it was, wouldn't the other agencies require full payment as well?

As I commented in my original post, we've not run into this issue before so thanks to all who replied.

Julia

Take the money and invest it yourself until final payment is due and use that interest to offset the higher price you'll pay elsewhere. The only time I've ever paid in full at time of booking is when we booked so close to the cruise that final payment was almost due anyway.

• Administrators
Julia, run, do not walk, away from this person. I have never heard of a travel agent dictating their own policy away from their employer. I do know that HAL does have some special rates that require payment in full; but for the life of me, I don't know why a TA would give you a "courtesy booking" and make nothing in return.

In the first sentence of the OP's post I started saying "run." By the end I was saying loudly "RUN." I'd report them, as well -- and they wouldn't get a penny of my money.

Listen to this man. He knows what he is talking about.

Danj's suggestion is pretty good too.

We have booked the cruise but used a different agency.

After a lengthy reply which I won't post here from the TA which still did not answer my question as to why a full payment is required he said he discussed with his manager and we could transfer the booking to the manager who would be happy to handle it on behalf of the agency. He wasn't getting a commission so he didn't want to spend time on the booking....Ouchhhh, I guess customer service just went out the window on that one. Could have made it sound a bit nicer I think...:rolleyes:

Time to plan and join our roll call. Thanks again. Can always count on CC .

Julia

enjoy your cruise, yes, join roll call and stay away from that agent and the company altogether. As for price matching, most of us try to but it isn't always possible. Service is more important than saving a few dollars. Again, most of the time we all have similar rates, but there are exceptions to all rules.

Nita

The only time I have had to pay upfront was for booking after the final payment time. But never have paid up front that far from a cruise.

We have even book a trip to Italy and never paid everything up front. Only the deposit.. There is something wrong with that travel agent..

Like everyone else has said.. You need to find a new travel agent.

Take the money and invest it yourself until final payment is due and use that interest to offset the higher price you'll pay elsewhere. The only time I've ever paid in full at time of booking is when we booked so close to the cruise that final payment was almost due anyway.

I always like when someone throws this one out. . . . . let see if you have 9 months to a cruise and you invest $2 grand or so at current CD rates - I doubt if a whole $75 (which is taxable) makes a whole lot of difference.

One way to bust this guys bubble, would have been to demand an invoice from the cruise line showing payment in full. When he made the booking, the cruise line can turn around in a matter of minutes and fax him an invoice showing your payment.

I have had plenty of clients wait while the cruise line faxed in showing payment was made.

The only thing I can think of (assuming that the CC payment would be made by HAL) is that the TA is really making very little on the booking and just wants to deal with you once -- generating only one paid in full invoice, not having to send out a final payment reminder, etc. They're flat telling you that no customer service should be expected.

There are times when an agency is better off passing on a price march situation and should just decline to do so. If you can't make a decent amount of commission on a booking you should just tell the client "thanks for checking with us, but we just can't meet the price you got elsewhere. Enjoy your cruise and please try us again nect time." Anyone would understand that and probably would check with them on a future cruise. But telling a client that their booking would be a money loser and thus the client should expect zero customer service is just stupid.

Archived