Airfare??

I find that prices generally drop between 45-60 days out. Then, the closer you get to departure date, the higher they will go.

So, on a bar graph, the pricing line will look like a bowl. Higher prices farther out, then a drop, the the prices will start rising again.

also would like to know where to keep an eye out for good flights to San Juan.

emdia: where do you fly out of. We are in Ohio, but can use a bunch of different airports. Indi, Columbus or Cinci. Or we have even driven to Detroit if it means a direct flight vs. a layover.

It's a game that the airlines play, I booked a flight to SJ a couple of weeks ago. You have to watch closley every day because the price goes up and down.

If you can wait the best prices are within 60 day's of departure for most flights. If you are going at Easter forget getting any deals the airlines know when people like to travel.

Spirit is good if you fly out of Detroit, sign up for their e-mail newsletters.

I got lucky out of Detroit on AA for thanksgiving weekend,I've seen prices from $290.00 to $543.00 for the same flights.

Good Luck

John

We already purchased our airfare to San Juan in April. We purchased it quite some time ago. It was super cheap when the fares were first released. California to San Juan, one way $189 p/p +taxes & fees for a total of $218. i don't know what East Coast people consider reasonable....but it is almost cheaper to fly to SJU than it is to Norfolk, VA. :D

Right now the cheapest I can find for Detroit to SJ is $327. I didn't think this was to bad, but it is just a guess, the flights for next november are not up yet. I need to find a good travel site to use to watch flights when they first come out. Will only do direct if possible. Would like to find direct out of Columbus, OH, but haven't found anything yet. If anyone from Ohio knows of direct to San Juan, please post. Thanks

And we already booked our hotel in San Juan for April too. We booked it through Priceline quite some time ago. I wouldn't wait too long if you are looking at things in San Juan for April. It is a popular vacation time, I believe Easter is around March 27th next year. :)

The best days to purchase tickets used to be Tuesdays/Thursdays/Saturdays. But now with all of the websites previously mentioned...it could be any day of the week. There is Airfare Watchdog, Fare Compare, FareCast, etc. etc.

If you are talking about a school vacation period in April (in Massachusetts that is usually around April 19th) don't expect to find the prices getting any lower between Boston and San Juan. In fact, consider yourself fortunate if you can find any seats at all. :rolleyes:

I am paying $435.00 each from Las Vegas, NV to San Juan. I booked them last April for my Nov. 5 cruise when I had to cancel my free mileage flights. (We moved from NY to Nevada and they had no free mileage seats for me from here.) :(

That was the best price I could find at the time. They had gone up over $200.00 each not long ago.

Don't you think that is relatively "cheap" to fly all the way to San Juan, Alexis? :D We paid almost $400 p/p to fly to r/t to Norfolk last month...and San Juan seems like it is much further away. :) :)

Yes, I did think that was cheap. That is why I grabbed them when I did.

I wasn't complaining by any means. I was pretty happy about that price. ;) Especially when I saw them go up by almost $200.00 each not long afterward. I can't find out what they are now. My flight numbers will not come up anymore. My little unhappy face was because there were no open seats for my free mileage seats from NV. I had the free seats from NY until we decided to move. :(

Heck, I have paid almost that much to fly back and forth to NY at times. Now that hurts. :(

I find San Juan to be one of the most expensive.

This is changing the subject from San Jaun to FLL plane tickets but just need to vent on Delta airlines. We are going on FOS next month with another couple. Our TA got our airline tickets bought with Delta over 7 months ago. We leave out of Miami but it was much cheaper to fly into FFL. We paid $285 per ticket, leaving out of SD. Yesterday I got home from work and had a message to call Delta airline's. I thought"oh, no, here we go." I placed the call, some lady explained the time had been changed by a half hour going to FLL....was relieved thats all it was, didn't hurt a thing as we are going a day early. Then she tells me, "oh,no, we have a problem here with the flight back. I don't see where we have 4 seats available on the flight back. We may have to arrange for 2 of you to go on another plane." I cannot believe what I am hearing and told her, listen, we have had reservations for 7 months, the plane had to be empty at that point in time, now you have no seats for 4 people? Another words we got pushed to the back of everyone that came later? She proceeds to try and tell me about all the changes in the airplane industry, not just Delta, all of them. Finally I said, "I'm so mad I can't talk, just credit my money back and I'll fly with anyone but Delta." She says my tickets are un-refundable and I said, "in a case like this there not, your the one changing everything around to the point we don't know if we have an airplane to come home on." She puts her supervisor on the phone and she agree's we will be re-funded in a case like this.

I'm sure they could care less and it might have been a plan, rid of 4 tickets that were bought for $285 and get 4 more people at the going rate of over $400. Now I know just because you have a ticket, doesn't mean you'll fly.

John,

Is it a direct flight. I won't drive the extra miles if I don't get the direct flight.

when are you travelling. We are not going till 11/08 so the flight info is not up yet. Just want to keep an eye on them when they do start to come out. That way I know what is a bargain.

It also helps if you check the number of seats available on the flights that you are considering. In my case there were plenty of seats on the flight going to San Juan so I could have played the waiting game. However, the flight that I wanted to come home on was filling up real fast so I had to jump in and book.

Archived