My MoneyMaking Idea#1

sagiv666

This is exactly what I was thinking. Many times the day of disembarking a cruise we eat at a nice restaurant to have a better meal. Or, we really enjoy home cooking for a few days, until I rebel ;) .

I don't hate cruise ship food, I certainly don't go hungry, but to think of it as sumptuous or delicacy makes me think people must not eat very good food at home or go to anything but fast food restaurants.

Please, I go to fast-food places only when I feel hungry, need to save time and there is nothing better where I am. Normally, my wife and I are very health-conscious; at the same time, I have nothing to complain about the food we eat at home or in restaurants. Perhaps the Gala Buffet on your cruise ship was not as exquisite as on the Radiance (we took a 14-night cruise to alaska on this ship), or you are too used to plain cooking. Of course, the other solution might be that you both are visitors from outer space. If so, welcome to Earth, and enjoy our food.:rolleyes:

In past cruises, many of us have visited the galley, and all passengers can talk with the chefs from time to time on the cruise. These people work so hard and produce some of the best food for so many comingfrom different backgrounds and/or with different tastes, that I feel bad that others like to criticize more than applaud their work. I hope that the crew of the cruise ships assigned to food preparation -- including the chefs -- do not listen read this website. If they did, they might start serving us out of cans!:mad:

Please, I go to fast-food places only when I feel hungry, need to save time and there is nothing better where I am. Normally, my wife and I are very health-conscious; at the same time, I have nothing to complain about the food we eat at home or in restaurants. Perhaps the Gala Buffet on your cruise ship was not as exquisite as on the Radiance (we took a 14-night cruise to alaska on this ship), or you are too used to plain cooking. Of course, the other solution might be that you both are visitors from outer space. If so, welcome to Earth, and enjoy our food.:rolleyes:

I do not think the poster deserves the tone and sarcasm from you. She was just stating her opinion (which is what these boards are for) and can't understand the wording of your love for the food on RCCL. She was in no way nasty or sarcastic, such as you have been here and on another posting on a thread I started. You go and enjoy all the cruise ship food you want and we will enjoy listening to you rave about it.

"sumptuous delicacies" is that what you really thought of the food on the ship. I know everyone has different taste but I have never thought of RCCL food as delicacies. You live in NYC and I know you have the opportunities to some of the best eats any where in the country and you call the ship food "sumptuous delicacies" I don't get it

Compared to airline food, a month-old Big Mac is a "sumptuous delicacy."

Even if there were no issue with customs, I'm not sure I'd want to eat Friday night's lobster on a Sunday afternoon fllight.

I'm sorry, but I am ready to submit my idea, and I insisted we have lobster and cherries jubilee (complete with flames).:)

I do not think the poster deserves the tone and sarcasm from you. She was just stating her opinion (which is what these boards are for) and can't understand the wording of your love for the food on RCCL. She was in no way nasty or sarcastic, such as you have been here and on another posting on a thread I started. You go and enjoy all the cruise ship food you want and we will enjoy listening to you rave about it.

I already said that as hard as the crew works to give us good food aboard the cruises, I do not like it that just about all the replies (forgive me if I missed an exception) talks only about what could not be brought ashore, what food(s) were not good and that I must not have good meals ashore. First, I am quite happy with what I eat at home, or what restaurants my wife and I choose to frequent or try once, regardless of cuisine. Second, give credit where credit is due -- to the members of the crew who keep feeding us on a cruise. If you feel the crew let you down in terms of food -- say so! Third, I learned the best way to answer an attack on me or my family is to answer with sarcasm -- pistols at dawn doesn't work any more.:rolleyes:

I already said that as hard as the crew works to give us good food aboard the cruises, I do not like it that just about all the replies (forgive me if I missed an exception) talks only about what could not be brought ashore, what food(s) were not good and that I must not have good meals ashore. First, I am quite happy with what I eat at home, or what restaurants my wife and I choose to frequent or try once, regardless of cuisine. Second, give credit where credit is due -- to the members of the crew who keep feeding us on a cruise. If you feel the crew let you down in terms of food -- say so! Third, I learned the best way to answer an attack on me or my family is to answer with sarcasm -- pistols at dawn doesn't work any more.:rolleyes:

Nobody said the food was horrible...........You said it was a "sumptuous delicacy" The wording was a little strong for some peoples taste. And I believe the majority would not get off the ship raving about "sumptuous delicacies"

cruise food is like going to a wedding. When the food is served hot and has flavor, everyone says what a great wedding it was. When the food is cold, chewy and flavorless people tend to say, well the bride looked beautiful ;)

I have never yet been on a ship where I felt I was being served sumptous delicacies. I may get off the ship and while waiting at the airport want something to eat, but a cinnabun from the airport is nearly always as good or better than the ships.

And not everyone who lives in nyc takes advantage of all the fine dining available to us ;) I know plenty of people who never go to the places we go to eat. Either because they don't like that kind of food, or it's not in their budget to eat there. And we eat at a large variety of places, except for national fast food. That stuff I don't eat. It makes me sick. I also don't like any cruise lines hamburgers.

Nobody said the food was horrible...........You said it was a "sumptuous delicacy" The wording was a little strong for some peoples taste. And I believe the majority would not get off the ship raving about "sumptuous delicacies"

It's quite hard not to consider much of their food as "sumptuous delicacies" after viewing and eating in their Gala Buffet. Nothing reflects their hard work as much as this Buffet -- except perhaps the Windjammer!

Interesting -- on our cruise I saw so many people enjoying the food. Ships may differ in the quality of their food, but it bothers me that now not one of you gives the accolades the crew deserves, even if you do not consider the food "delicacies"!:)

It's quite hard not to consider much of their food as "sumptuous delicacies" after viewing and eating in their Gala Buffet. Nothing reflects their hard work as much as this Buffet -- except perhaps the Windjammer!

Interesting -- on our cruise I saw so many people enjoying the food. Ships may differ in the quality of their food, but it bothers me that now not one of you gives the accolades the crew deserves, even if you do not consider the food "delicacies"!:)

ugggggg! forget it.

Last year off of the Crown Princess, I skillfully hid some cookies from the bakery in a good size ziplock baggie (lots of them). When my husband, mother and I got to the airport for our 3 hour wait, I had forgotten about them until my mom mentioned that she would give anything for just one more of those cookies! and Voila'! I remembered the bag in my carry on and we munched on these cookies with our Starbucks - my mom still talks about this. No one said a thing to me checking in to the airport - it was just a ziplock baggie of cookies to them (not smuggled cookies).

I wonder about this. Unless you bought them ashore or on the ship for the purpose of taking them when you disembark, the food should have been confiscated. Perhaps customs officials on the dock felt that the rum "sterilized" the cakes so they wouldn't pose a danger but I don't know for sure.:confused:
The Agricultural Inspection is, just that, an Agricultural Inspection. They're looking for fresh fruits and vegetables, and unprocessed meats - not all food products. A banana they care about, Rum Cake not at all.

cruise food is like going to a wedding. When the food is served hot and has flavor, everyone says what a great wedding it was. When the food is cold, chewy and flavorless people tend to say, well the bride looked beautiful ;)

I have never yet been on a ship where I felt I was being served sumptous delicacies. I may get off the ship and while waiting at the airport want something to eat, but a cinnabun from the airport is nearly always as good or better than the ships.

And not everyone who lives in nyc takes advantage of all the fine dining available to us ;) I know plenty of people who never go to the places we go to eat. Either because they don't like that kind of food, or it's not in their budget to eat there. And we eat at a large variety of places, except for national fast food. That stuff I don't eat. It makes me sick. I also don't like any cruise lines hamburgers.

I missed a good hot corn beef and pastrami sandwich, but I settled for hamburgers and hot dogs at lunch in the Windjammer. My wife knows that I do not demand gourmet food at home -- although I am a good cook and whoever cooks, we have a Flavor-Wave table-top convection oven that allows me to cook a juicy chicken while watching only part of my football or golf games.

Moreover, when I am on a fast errand I will stop into Burger King or White Castle (I love their "belly bombs"). However, when we go out, all bets are off and we look for good food -- which is what we found on the Radiance, and after sampling their Gala Buffet and the Windjammer, I'm hooked on their food.:D

My wife and I just returned on a marvelous cruise aboard the Radiance, and like most of few, flew back to our own home. At our final meals I was thinking: Why can't the ship prepare a doggy bag with food to take on land -- cleared with customs and with the Royal Caribbean logo. That way, when we are on the plane and everyone else is eating their peanuts, we can tweak our noses at them and at the crew, while enjoying :D some sumptuous delicacies form the ship.

Royal Caribbean can charge for this extra treat, but I certainly wouldn't mind paying, as long as the price is reasonable. So they end up a little richer than they already are, and we are just a little happier.

I am quite astonished (although I don't know why) at the tone of some of the responses to the OP. Nastiness and sarcasm have no place on Cruise Critic. We have cruised on Radiance of the Seas several times and have always found their food to be among the best that RCCL offers. While it is not the height of gourmet, it is certainly not the slop that some people are implying. I would find a box lunch from Royal Caribbean far superior to that which passes as a meal or snack on an airplane these days.

As far as food coming off the ships not being allowed, I know what the laws are. Have you ever noticed the punch and cookies that are served at the pier before boarding? Did that come off the ship or did it come from a caterer on land? Whoever made that food could prepare pre-ordered, pre-paid box lunches that could be picked up in the terminal after claiming your luggage. I actually like the idea.

Would it potentially be a BIG moneymaker for RCCL? I doubt it. Would the people who ordered the box lunches remember how convenient they were? I bet they would. It would leave you with a good feeling. Would everyone want to participate in this program? Of course not. By the same token, not everyone wants to eat at a specialty restaurant.

I think you have a good idea sagiv666. I would suggest it to RCCL and see what they think of it. Let us know.

Well, we thought of it this way: RCI a U.S. company and Sitka is in Alaska -- U.S. It's not like I was taking the food into the U.S. from a foreign country. What I usually see is that they don't want you taking the food off the ship onto the Islands. And I think the real reason is so that you BUY food onshore.:)

It makes no difference that Alaska is a state. Every state, in fact every county in every state, can have its own agricultural laws. Period.

There are agricultural checks at many state borders--and for good reason. It makes me really angry when people so casually disregard the agricultural laws of a place they are visiting, whether it's another country or another state. We in CA have lived decades with the results of people smuggling in forbidden items. We have quarantines; we have had spraying (remember the fruit fly infestion in the 80s? who do you think paid the millions of dollars it cost to fight it, not to mention having to live our lives around scheduled pesticide sprayings?); we have crops harmed or destroyed by pests and pathogens brought in by people casually "smuggling" items; we have millions of dollars of lost revenue because of these problems.

I beg everyone not to take any fresh food off a ship or plane unless you know positively that it is allowed. (BTW, rum cakes are considered packaged items and have been baked. Therefore, they are not considered harmful and are allowed to be taken off the ships.)

If I sound harsh, so be it. If you want to flame, I don't care.

beachchick

I am quite astonished (although I don't know why) at the tone of some of the responses to the OP. Nastiness and sarcasm have no place on Cruise Critic. We have cruised on Radiance of the Seas several times and have always found their food to be among the best that RCCL offers. While it is not the height of gourmet, it is certainly not the slop that some people are implying. I would find a box lunch from Royal Caribbean far superior to that which passes as a meal or snack on an airplane these days.

As far as food coming off the ships not being allowed, I know what the laws are. Have you ever noticed the punch and cookies that are served at the pier before boarding? Did that come off the ship or did it come from a caterer on land? Whoever made that food could prepare pre-ordered, pre-paid box lunches that could be picked up in the terminal after claiming your luggage. I actually like the idea.

Would it potentially be a BIG moneymaker for RCCL? I doubt it. Would the people who ordered the box lunches remember how convenient they were? I bet they would. It would leave you with a good feeling. Would everyone want to participate in this program? Of course not. By the same token, not everyone wants to eat at a specialty restaurant.

I think you have a good idea sagiv666. I would suggest it to RCCL and see what they think of it. Let us know.

Can you back up your statement that implies people have called the food "slop", or made any comments on it being horrible in any way. You yourself said "It is not the height of gourmet food" is exactly what the post following the beginning of this thread has said. As I stated earlier...... not complaining about the food on the ships but surely would never call it "sumptuous delicacies" And if you want to invest your hard earned money in this fabulous "moneymaking idea" then by all means knock yourself out.

I apologize for characterizing people's opinions as "slop". You are right; no one stated that. It's just that the way people were putting down the food, you have to wonder why so many people often gain so many pounds on a cruise. Like I stated, it's not gourmet, but it is good.

And since we're talking about misrepresenting what people have written, where do I state that I want to invest in this project? I simply stated that I thought it was an idea worth Royal Caribbean looking into.

Relax. We're talking about vacations here, not life and death.

I apologize for characterizing people's opinions as "slop". You are right; no one stated that. It's just that the way people were putting down the food, you have to wonder why so many people often gain so many pounds on a cruise. Like I stated, it's not gourmet, but it is good.

And since we're talking about misrepresenting what people have written, where do I state that I want to invest in this project? I simply stated that I thought it was an idea worth Royal Caribbean looking into.

Relax. We're talking about vacations here, not life and death.

I am very relaxed.........You were the one who came to attack the none attackers. Nobody here said anything bad about the ship food and you implied we were sarcastic toward the poster. So if someone needs to relax I think it would be you and your rebuttal.

Just after we teturned from our cruise on the Radiance, we booked a 6-night cruise to Canada and New England aboard the Norwegian Spirit. There are those who take a cruise just to eat -- while we are not two of them, we appreciate good food, and that's what we received on the Radiance. We go to a number of good restaurants of different cuisines where we live, and we have cruised before on different lines and at these times there was nothing to complain about; now, we have nothing to complain about and a lot to rave in terms of the food on the Radiance. We hope the food on the Norwegian Spirit will not be a disappointment.:confused:

Good for you for knowing how to enjoy yourselves!!! Any vacation is what you make of it and food is no different. It is very easy to enjoy meals on Royal Caribbean ships. Would I rate it 5 star or 5 diamond or whatever... probably not. That being said however, I would give them very high marks for every single one of my meals being prepared properly, giving me enough food and choices, and providing me very pleasant dining venues. I have only completed 3 cruise so far but I can't think of one complaint about the food. I completely understand the point of your original post about wanting to "continue the experience".

Archived