High School Reunion Cruise - a good idea or no?

People_Mover

I worked at a travel agency that did a lot of large groups. Most HS Reunion Cruises, Family Reunions, and wedding cruises always have a large percentage of people who say they want to go at the beginning, but when it comes time to put the money out, the actual group is very small. Did a HS reunion cruise earlier this year for a client and almost everyone took there kids and except for dinner together all did there own thing.

Personal opinion though, I graduate in 89 and we only had a 5 year reunion, I really only hung out with the people who I was still good friends with and I still see them on a regular basis. I think once you get older you really begin to have nothing in common with them anymore and I see no point in it.

Do a regular reunion first.

Then a day or two later, do a cruise reunion.

Truly that's the only way to do it.

900 grads in FL? Sounds like where my brother went, Sunset High in Miami. Crazy huge school.

Anyway, at 10 years you've got people just getting out of grad school and some still in grad school. Those who married out of HS or undergrad have young kids and young careers. And many will have moved away, increasing the costs of getting back "home" exponentially.

For my 10 year, I didn't even take part in the dinner, b/c I couldn't afford $40 per person (new boyfriend at the time went with me) for pasta primavera (had I been omnivorous I might have seen my way to paying 40 for a steak, but not for pasta and veggies), so I just came after that.

I just had my 20 year, and took a trip for it. Drove DH and our 3 year old to my old homestead, had hotel stays, had the cost of clothes for the reunion. This time it was $125 for "heavy hors d'ouvres" PER PERSON, and since we didn't have childcare anyway, DH stayed up in the room with DS while I partied with my classmates.

ANYWAY I'm just giving my personal (and recent, for the 20 year) experiences and thoughts. Although many of my classmates were still local, and although many were obviously well to do, there were very few people there who likely would have gone on a cruise. Heck, not one of my friends would extend the reunion with me to come with us to Disneyland! :p

If you want an excuse to plan a cruise, plan one, but do it AFTER the traditional pasta primavera vs prime rib, silly ceremonial "prizes", too-loud-music reunion, so that people can still get together with former classmates, even if they don't have vacation time, money, or inclination to get on a boat with 899 them.

This is something that my class is considering for 2009. They are doing it so far in advance to give people plenty of time to pay for it.

Some stated that there are some classmates that won't come because it's on a cruiseship. However, there are those who don't come when you have them landbased.

One of my co-worker's husband is from Maryland. His high school class did a cruise. She guess about 1/3 of the class went. They had a blast! She got to meet people that her husband always talked about and enjoying the interaction.

The cost need to be broken down person by what type of cabins, deposit and payments.

I'm want to go on my class trip, but it's at the same time as my Alaskan Family reunion cruise so that's the only reason I'm not going.

But with 900 plus people, I guess that about 250 to 400 will go.

Happy sailing.

Nah, I'd hold off on the cruise idea. Kinda.

For my 5 year reunion, a handful of classmates selected the location and cost. Full bar and some finger food for a fee of $50 per person. As a result, only a few people attended. It was too expensive ($100 per couple) and was only targeted toward those who wanted a night of drinking.

As my 10 year reunion approaches, I take a look at where my classmates are now. Most are buying houses, raising young families, finishing up college, or starting new careers. For the most part, they are not able to to take vacation time nor have the extra income for a cruise vacation.

What I would consider:

Do a typical reunion dinner that is reasonable for as many as possible. (It will be difficult to please 900+...) But choose a location, price, date that welcomes everyone. (That is the point anyway, to see everyone after all that time!) But then you could also offer the cruise option in addition to the "everyone" gathering. Make sure the invitations are sent out well in advance and be sure to point out that everyone is encourged to attend the dinner, and the cruise is another opportunity to get together for all that are interested. With such a large class, I'm sure you'll get a good turnout for the cruise, while also not "leaving out" anyone!

I vote bad idea.

Even as someone who was a social butterfly in high school, a one-night 10-yr reunion (mine was last summer) was plenty. I enjoyed seeing my old friends again, but we've all moved on; most of us have kids and demanding jobs and three or four days altogether would just be too much. :o

Besides, it is considerably more expensive. We paid $75 per couple for a very nice seated four-course dinner and live band. We plan our vacations far in advance and I would not want to spend four vacation days or the money on a 4-day cruise.

Bottom line, I think if you go this route, you will have a low turnout, and the whole point of a reunion is to get together again - how much fun will it really be if only 15% of you are there?

I think its a bad idea too. Most people that age only get two weeks vacation a year. Besides the above about money and small kids I just can't think of why I would want to spend 50% of my vacation time with people I haven't talked to in ten years and probably won't again. Values change and hopefully most of the kids that graduated have got good jobs and are starting families. Those people would likely be on a budget. They also wouldn't necessarily want to bring OR leave their children (add in cost of babysitters if they could even get one) at home for a week so they could party with old school mates. I know for me I neither had the money, time or inclination to spend my precious time with long past friends. A dinner which included an overnight hotel I would consider but not much more.

Agree with bad idea but I do like the one with doing a cruise reunion one or two days after a traditional reunion. I might even go for that one.

I think your demographics dictates what will work. If the group is ages that would have small children, not sure if I would do. If they are older as this age group tyically has a bit more spendable income (like I am, at least he old part) I would consider it.

• 9 years later...

I wanna know if you guys ended up doing this or no? im considering it for my HS reunion next year. They originally wanted to go to vegas but i think it would be much cheaper to do a cruise possibly a 3 day bahamas overnight.

I wanna know if you guys ended up doing this or no? im considering it for my HS reunion next year. They originally wanted to go to vegas but i think it would be much cheaper to do a cruise possibly a 3 day bahamas overnight.

Coming up on OP's 20th reunion soon, and they haven't posted here for over 5 years.

This thread is 10 years old. Why not start a new one. You may get some great ideas

I say go for it -- just be prepared for people not wanting to attend either for financial reasons or just because.

We planned our 25th reunion and did the traditional dinner/family picnic thing and had to cancel because of lack of interest.

There will be people who cannot afford to go, but I personally get pretty fed up when I mention doing something for a group and they say "some people might not be able to afford it." Okay. Well, some can. Doesn't mean the group can't do something else more low-key; but I've found some people are going to complain and boycott any plans so do what a group of you want to do!

I say go for it -- just be prepared for people not wanting to attend either for financial reasons or just because.

We planned our 25th reunion and did the traditional dinner/family picnic thing and had to cancel because of lack of interest.

There will be people who cannot afford to go, but I personally get pretty fed up when I mention doing something for a group and they say "some people might not be able to afford it." Okay. Well, some can. Doesn't mean the group can't do something else more low-key; but I've found some people are going to complain and boycott any plans so do what a group of you want to do!

Sorry. Had no clue this thread was so old when I replied. I don't look at the post dates :o

Great idea! I'm old enough to be your dad, but we still Cruise often.

The best advice is to hand off travel plans and logistics to a travel agent or vacation planner.

If not then someone on the reunion committee becomes the mediator for problems. It's your vacation too.

And... I too missed the date.

Probably a bad idea. Remember no good deed goes unpunished.

I had plenty of problems organising a 4 day cruise for my 5 business partners and their wives, and we work together every day. Each wife wanted to participate in cabin selection. What a nightmare.

I suspect you will have few takers. If you still want to try, I would turn it all over to a TA and don't try to handle reservations yourself.

Sent from my B3-A30 using Forums mobile app