Sun Princess has arrived tommorow already!!!!!

2CtheC

Cruiser OZ60 - your pictures are a hoot, laughed myself silly.

For a minute there I thought I must be blind, I walked around Darling Harbour only an hour ago (I now live in the area), and there was no big ship there then. Can't wait until tomorrow morning while walking to work to find her at Wharf 8!! I might even go and see her sail off tomorrow evening.

According to Sydney Ports, she will be leaving at 11 am (when the passengers are off). Sun Princess is headed for Brisbane without passengers, presumed for dry dock.

Cheers

Geoff

Hope someone is there to take some photos. I have to work but hope to check webcams tomorrow morning before i leave. I have no access at work

Karon,

Will be capturing for a U-Tube vid. Wait until you hear the music I have dragged up for this one. Would also appreciate seeing plenty of extra pics and vids too. Cant wait to check to cam in the morning.

Cheers

Geoff

The story is now true - tomorrow is now today.

Good news is that Sun Princess has safely snuck under the bridge, and is berthed in Darling Harbour.

Todays postcard

2002012891572452855_rs.jpg

The sad news - after getting the capture software set up on an extra computer so that 2 captures could be done at the same time, the deck camera was stopped for the entire trip up the harbour.

Hence, no deckcam video - Is unlikely it froze. There is an occasional brief freeze in Sydney from interference, but not from outside the heads for 2 hours. There is a nice piece on 7's Sunrise this morning - maybe they had exclusive rights.

They should repeat the story after the 8 oclock news, at least got to see a cruiser enjoying the mini we will be claiming in 65 days.

Cheers

The Sun Princess was shown on Sunrise this morning for about 15 seconds just before the ad break @ 6.25am.:cool:

The amount of people that were out on the decks were amazing.:)

The news at 7.30am on Mix in Sydney said that Sydney welcomed it's first Superliner to Sydney. Technically they're correct, as when the Dawn was here, she was still Regal Princess and not Pacific Dawn.

What is PD's official tonnage? Everywhere I look, there is a different tonnage.:rolleyes:

at least now we know she will fit under the bridge, although i am guessing there was a bit if extra weight on the ship after that long cruise here:D

Looking forward to seeing the video. I wont try and guess the name of he song as i am sure you will think of some cryptic clues to annoy me all day:p :p

I seriously thought that she was going to sneak into Sydney without much notice. It is nice the TV shows and local radio stations picking up on her arrival.

I'm already having people coming into my office asking me if I saw her this morning!!:o :rolleyes: I just throw the brochure at them!!;)

The sad news - after getting the capture software set up on an extra computer so that 2 captures could be done at the same time, the deck camera was stopped for the entire trip up the harbour.

Hence, no deckcam video - Is unlikely it froze. There is an occasional brief freeze in Sydney from interference, but not from outside the heads for 2 hours. There is a nice piece on 7's Sunrise this morning - maybe they had exclusive rights.

That’s a shame :(, Hopefully the deck camera will work on the way out of the harbour….

According to the Today show on channel 9 the Sun Princess only had about 2½ meters to spare!!

I DL'd a fact sheet several months ago that said 10 feet, so knew it would fit. Slight difference to 2.5 metres, but that could be the tide.

And yes, I did get a capture of her going out.

Amazing how close the road looked. Will try to get some stills up tonight.

Cheers

Geoff

I seriously thought that she was going to sneak into Sydney without much notice. It is nice the TV shows and local radio stations picking up on her arrival.

I'm already having people coming into my office asking me if I saw her this morning!!:o :rolleyes: I just throw the brochure at them!!;)

Probably would have Jarrod, except that they sent out todays press release yesterday to make sure they got the message in time.

Saw the 15 secs Jarrod, then they had approx 30 secs after the 7am news.

Cheers

Geoff

Sorry... I didn't get a photo as I walking to work. It's my husband's fault, I'm sure he put the flat batteries back in. Wait 'till I see him...

Ship looked wonderful and I even got to see it sail out. I checked Syd Port website this morning it said 5pm. Maybe I didn't refresh the screen?

So I amble onto the wharf in my lunch hour, just in time to see it sail off around 1pm. I was lucky!

Sorry... I didn't get a photo as I walking to work. It's my husband's fault, I'm sure he put the flat batteries back in. Wait 'till I see him...

Ship looked wonderful and I even got to see it sail out. I checked Syd Port website this morning it said 5pm. Maybe I didn't refresh the screen?

So I amble onto the wharf in my lunch hour, just in time to see it sail off around 1pm. I was lucky!

You were lucky she was late in this morning and did not leave at 11am as planned.

I posted 11am here on this post twice yesterday evening. She was always leaving early, as they did not have to take on any new passengers.

Sydney Ports has 2 pages - one which shows all cruisehips booked into port and their intended times. This is not updated regularly. There is a link on the cruiseship page for all current shipping. This site is updated several times per day for all Sydney & Botany shipping -

http://shipschedule.sydneyports.com.au/marineoperations/movements.asp

You are still luckier than me. I got to sit at work and watch the cruisecam instead.

Cheers

Geoff

And here is the news report which has a link to a video.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,23483,22635375-27982,00.html

Sydney welcomes luxury liner

By Lee Taylor

Article from: news_sourcelogo.gif</IMG>

THE Sun Princess superliner became the largest ship ever to sail under the Sydney Harbour Bridge this morning.

Weighing 77,441 tonnes, 49m high and nearly three football fields in length, the luxury 1950-passenger superliner passed under Sydney's iconic bridge with just 2.5m to spare.

Boasting a grand four-storey atrium, eight restaurants and cafes, four pools and five spas, the record-breaking vessel's voyage came to an end at Darling Harbour, having visited Seattle, Cook Islands and Dunedin.

The stylish superliner will now head to Brisbane for a dry docking, before returning to Sydney in early November where it will become the first premium cruise ship to be based in Australia year round.

"Australian passengers will be able to enjoy premium cruising year round, with more than 30 different cruises on offer," said Ann Sherry, chief executive of Carnival Australia which operates Princess Cruises in Australia.

“Not only has Sun Princess set a new record by becoming the largest cruise ship to sail under Sydney’s iconic bridge, she’ll also set a new standard for cruising in Australia by offering a premium cruise experience for Australians year round,” Ms Sherry said.

“Her arrival is testimony to the strong growth of the Australian cruise market, with Australian passenger numbers rising by 18 per cent to more than 220,000 last year.”

Sun Princess will offer cruises from three homeports – Sydney, Melbourne and Fremantle – throughout 2008.

The much-anticipated schedule includes the longest ever round-trip voyage from Australia – a 75-night Grand Pacific World Cruise.

Cruising to destinations such as Tahiti, Canada, Alaska, Japan, Russia, China and Vietnam, Sun Princess will follow in the wake of explorer Matthew Flinders who took two years to sail around Australia between 1801 and 1803, becoming the first person to circumnavigate and map the entire continent.

Ms Sherry said the superliner would be joined over the 2008-09 summer by her sister ship, Dawn Princess, which will operate a season of cruises from Sydney, while Sun Princess sails from Melbourne.

The Sun Princess's first cruise, a 28-night circumnavigation of Australia, departs from Sydney on November 7.

Archived