Sun Princess has arrived tommorow already!!!!!

2CtheC

Those photos gave me cold chills! Now I'm REALLY excited.

Pardon my ignorance, but would you sail under the bridge to go to Circular Quay? We sailed into the harbour on the Star in November of 2003. I'd think the Star and the Sun were pretty much the same size. The Star holds 2600 passengers and the Sun hold 1750.

sorry linda . if you are going to circular quay you "turn left" just before going under the bridge. It is quite a thrill sailing under it. the people doing the bridge climb all yell down to you sd you duck your head going under.I still dont know how they miss it.

it is also a great thrill just to sail into our wonderful harbour and come along slde of the opera house.

is the sun princess sailing from darling harbour or circular quay for you. For us it is darling harbour

We think it is Darling Harbour since that is where they have us staying for our pre-cruise nights.

I slept right through the sail into Sydney Harbour last time. I'm so ashamed! That won't happen this time either going or coming back, I assure you.

I don't remember the first trip, unfortunately. It seems to me we didn't dock at either Circular Quay or Darling Harbour but some industrial area. That would have been in February, 2001. Is that possible?

I remember when we took the Regal Princess into Shanghai. They had to lower one of the antennas to make it under a bridge there.

Holy, that ship is huge :eek:

Like i knew it was way larger than what ive seen in person, but still...

Wait till you see the Sapphire Princess!!;) :eek: That is even bigger.:D

What happens when ships are too big to fit under the bridge? In 10 years time, I think it will be the case where the majority of ships will be too big and will have to berth at the OSPT.

What happens when ships are too big to fit under the bridge? In 10 years time, I think it will be the case where the majority of ships will be too big and will have to berth at the OSPT.

No problem......

I think there are plans for another facility

at Woolloomooloo,where QM2 was.

They had to design a group of ships to make it through the Panama Canal. Don't know which series that was, though. I kind of want to say the Dawn & her sisters.

I saw a doco on the making of the queen mary. One of the guidelines was she had to be narrow enought to fit throught the panama canal. Once they got going with the design they realised they could get enough cabins on so because they went higher they then had to go wider to balance it out. Now they have to go around.

It was a very interesting documentary

Wait till you see the Sapphire Princess!!;) :eek: That is even bigger.:D

well plans are under way to improve the bridge maybe they are going to make an opening bridge (probably got a proper name but cant think of one like spit bridge:D )

we already kind of have that problem here :(

Although i dont see why they dont just make the twin gateway bridge they are builing, a bit taller so the larger ships can fit. Then knock down the original one and do the same. All they would have to do then is widen the river to give more swing room.

i can wish... :rolleyes:

I agree with you Aussie cruiser ..the Sapphire is big ..this is a shot I took of the Pacific and Sapphire Princess along side each other at Port Melbourne in March this year :eek:

I have another one somewhere which is a close up of the Sapphire ..which really shows you the size of this great lady ..so will look it out if anyone wants to see it posted ?

melb2.jpg

The Pic below is a rare one to say the least !! with the two ships alongside the Spirit of Tasmania ..also at Port Melbourne the same day in March 2007

melb1.jpg

Starman - how about some night shots.

Would have been good, but i didnt have my act together quick enough :o

melb2.jpg

Now that puts things into perspective. I remember standing next to the PP when she was in brisbane and thinking she was kinda big (not as large as the star though). So now i can imagine how huge the larger ships are :eek:

I know some of you people love the mega liners but they're not really my cup of tea. Sure, I like to look at them & would never knock back a cruise on any ship but I'd prefer the smaller ones. I would have loved to have cruised on Pacific Princess.

Karen

but I'd prefer the smaller ones. I would have loved to have cruised on Pacific Princess.

Karen

You still can.;) Save up some $$$ and leave the kids at home for 2 or so weeks and have a 'romantic' trip through French Polynesia on her, or the Tahitian Princess.:D Think how peaceful and relaxing it would be.:)

I know you're kids are teenagers, but give another 2 or so years, and they'll be glad to get rid of you for a few weeks!!:p Anyway, I'm sure you deserve some time away from the kids.

You still can.;) Save up some $$$ and leave the kids at home for 2 or so weeks and have a 'romantic' trip through French Polynesia on her, or the Tahitian Princess.:D Think how peaceful and relaxing it would be.:)

I know you're kids are teenagers, but give another 2 or so years, and they'll be glad to get rid of you for a few weeks!!:p Anyway, I'm sure you deserve some time away from the kids.

Yeh, in a few years time. I can't bring myself to holiday without my kids yet. Sad, I know:rolleyes: . We are THINKING about a cruise without them next year for our 20th wedding anniversary but I'm not sure.

Karen

I know some of you people love the mega liners but they're not really my cup of tea. Sure, I like to look at them & would never knock back a cruise on any ship but I'd prefer the smaller ones. I would have loved to have cruised on Pacific Princess.

Karen

I look at ships like Emerald Princess or Freedom of the seas and my jaw drops. I like the look of Sun Princess and Pacific Dawn for a comfy size, but would also like to cruise on a mega ship and one like the boutique Cruise West fleet.

Big day tomorrow Jarrod, make sure you pack plenty of film! Have a great cruise.

Cheers

Geoff

Big day tomorrow Jarrod, make sure you pack plenty of film! Have a great cruise.

Cheers

Geoff

FILM???:confused: :p What is film!!:rolleyes: Taking my 'cheap' Pentax Digital with me. It is fully charged, ready to go. Will get a SD card tomorrow morning at Officeworks.

Only 18 hours to go.:eek:

Karen

mmm... i hear ya. Really dont like the idea of the mega ships. But id prefer something smaller than the PP even. Id be thrilled if a local company bough the Spirit of Adventure and had her sail out of Brisbane. Now that would be a nice little ship :D

Big day tomorrow Jarrod, make sure you pack plenty of film!

Film? Whats that? ;):rolleyes:

Archived