Carribean-- Eastern or Southern route? Difference between Crown & Carribean Princess

dyad1978

My sister and I are both in our 20s (24 and 29), and we are planning on taking our first cruise ever in January '08. We had a few questions we were hoping people from this forum could help us with.

1) Does anyone have a preference between the Princess Carribean East and Southern routes?

2) What are the differences between the Crown and Carribean Princess cruise ships?

3) Lastly, are there enough activities for people in their 20s and 30s?

Will we be able to meet other people close to our age?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Daniel

I can only speak of my thoughts on the Eastern vs. Southern questions. Since we prefer days at sea to days in port, we usually find the Southern routes are too "port heavy", sometimes leaving only a single at-sea day. Of course, you don't have to get off the ship in a port of you don't want to.

For your first ever cruise, I would suggest the Caribbean Princess. (just my opinion) I think you may have a slightly younger crowd (who knows?) Also, sometimes it gets a bit confusing and hectic (not to mention expensive) to fly out of San Juan.

One great way to meet people is to meet them before hand by going to the roll call boards and joining in! Also, while on the ship, go to the activites and join in! Princess has "Big ships with a small ship feel". What I noticed was that there were so many places to go in the evening, I wondered where everyone was!!! However, Skywalkers would be a great place to go for your age group! Also, having traditional dinner would have been a good way to meet others. However, this late, you would not be able to get traditional dinning.

There are a few differences between the two ships you mentioned, but not enough to make one or the other much more desirable for the first time cruiser.

Have fun!!!

Janet

I can only speak of my thoughts on the Eastern vs. Southern questions. Since we prefer days at sea to days in port, we usually find the Southern routes are too "port heavy", sometimes leaving only a single at-sea day. Of course, you don't have to get off the ship in a port of you don't want to.

Exactly why I booked Crown's S. Carib as B2B - two weeks and only two sea days!:)

Back to the Dyad's question, for a first cruise apply the KISS rule. January's less that two months out, a bit late for booking air and hotels, especially to San Juan. And if you haven't thought about it, it's always best to fly in the day before sailing. The last problem you need is to miss the ship due to flight delays, which are rampant during winter months. Flights to SJU are likely a lot more expensive than to FLL and hotels in San Juan are probably not even avaiable this late.

Crown's itinerary is superior, especially for water sports. St Thomas is included on both cruises and St Maarten is ok. I haven't been to Princess Cays, but it's probably an excellent beach day.

If you are into snorkeling or diving and air fares aren't too bad, AND you can get a hotel, go for Crown.

Either way, you can't lose.

They are both Caribbean cruises. I guarantee neither one will suck.:D

Final thought: If you do choose Crown book the Southern, not the Explorer itinerary. The port times are MUCH better.

Archived