Freedom or Liberty???

Hi! We are trying to plan our 3rd cruise for next summer and are wondering if there are any advantages/disadvantages between the two? We were on the Mariner last June and really loved it! Would even consider doing it again, but my 10 year old son wants to try the flowridder! Would love any input to help us decide! Thanks!

Hi! We are trying to plan our 3rd cruise for next summer and are wondering if there are any advantages/disadvantages between the two? We were on the Mariner last June and really loved it! Would even consider doing it again, but my 10 year old son wants to try the flowridder! Would love any input to help us decide! Thanks!

Are pretty much the same. I would book based on price and ports of call.

Have a wonderful time!

Kathy

I wouldn't make the flowrider the reason you choose the ship. From what I have heard, the lines and wait times to ride it are very long. It's only open at certain times and he probably wouldn't be able to do it more than once or twice a day. I would go with the ports.

I wouldn't make the flowrider the reason you choose the ship. From what I have heard, the lines and wait times to ride it are very long. It's only open at certain times and he probably wouldn't be able to do it more than once or twice a day. I would go with the ports.

Trust me, you can ride it much more than twice a day. Lines are long, but they go fast. We had friends that rode it a ton all day.

I chose the Freedom over the Liberty for next year due to the eastern itinerary. I like going to St. Thomas over Labadee. That was the deciding factor as there is very little difference between the two.

I agree! If I hadn't been on Freedom this year then I would have chosen to do the Eastern on FOS not LOS next year because the Eastern for FOS includes St.Thomas. Now, next year I am doing Liberty which is going to San Juan, StMartin, Labadee. I am not thrilled with the itinerary, but I want to do each Freedom class ship.

So if you haven't been on either one, choose by itinerary. Both ships are the same.

Just a heads up that to use the Flow Rider, you must be 52" tall to boogie board, and 58" tall to surf. If your son is this height, no problem. :)

Our sons are only 5ft 7. Ages 18 & 21yrs they surf in the south of England a lot! Does this meen they wont be able to have a go:eek:

Our sons are only 5ft 7. Ages 18 & 21yrs they surf in the south of England a lot! Does this meen they wont be able to have a go:eek:

No,they'll be fine, the height restriction is 52" which is only 4ft 4ins..... for boogie board..... and 4ft 10" for upright surfing. The lines go really fast... they put a screen down the middle of the flowrider for boogie boarders so that two people are able to ride.

we have only sailed Freedom thus far.(favorite cruise, favorite ship!!) However our friends just returned from Liberty, sailed on Freedom last year, and In their honest opinion, they prefer Freedom a little more, no idea why, pretty much "twin" ships, just there thoughts. IMO, decide based on itenerary. And by the way, my 3 kids (pre-teen and 2 teens) rode that flowrider ALL the time, waiting less than 10 minutes for each ride, sometimes only 5. The only long lines they experienced was on "teen night" when the ride was open exclusivley to teens only, but did not bother them one bit. It was fun to watch, music and crazy teens having a blast from 10-12a! (and yes, a lot of staff and watchful eyes.) ;)

Happy cruising and have fun! :D

just got off freedom and if for no other reason the cruise director Richard Spacey is the BEST.

As far as flow rider there was hardly ever a wait I think we rode it 10 times in a an hour.

Richard Spacey is a talented host, but his “less than stellar” display of customer service during our first few hours aboard the ship, before we knew who he was, really tainted our opinion of him.

As for the Flowrider, it’s one of the most fun activities I’ve ever experienced on vacation. I found that it wasn’t too crowded on port days, but on at-sea days it was mobbed. They offer private classes for $60/hour, limited to six guests with two trainers. It can be boogie boarding or stand-up surfing, plus they let more than one person on at a time to learn to do boogie board stunts. IMHO, it’s well worth the cost. I was lucky and ended up in a group with only one other person (normally, they require three guests to make a class).

Archived