What is the Prettiest Harbor......

sail7seas

Alaska - Sitka - all the small islands surrounding you - no matter where you anchor.

Europe - Toss up - either Stockholm or Oslo - wooded islands and fjords.

Mediterranean - Venice - the approach to the Grand Canal via the Lido Islands.

Caribbean - St Lucia - can actually watch other ships go by while docked.

I have to agree with KK on Sitka Alaska, in May with the Snow Capped Mountains and the Islands surrounding it. One of my highlights was very early in the morning like 6:30 as we were coming into Sitka I was up in the gym on the treadmill it was wonderful.

Another port I love but I have actually not sailed in or out of it on a cruise ship but I know many have, is Kona Hawaii. With all the shops and the church there is just something that make me feel at home there.

I agree that Portland, Maine has a pretty harbor. I loved sailing into and out of Venice and also think that St. Thomas' Harbor is pretty.

Sailing by the White Cliffs into Dover is beautiful but the port itself is very industrial.

Honfleur in France is beautiful IMO

Although cruise ships cannot come into this harbor due to its small size, it is hard to imagine a more beautiful harbor anywhere in the world than Marblehead, Massachusetts.....the birthplace of the U.S. Navy.

We do not live too far from there and have enjoyed coming into that harbor on private vessels and it is absolutely beautiful.

Another gorgeous harbor IMO is Monaco.

Our votes would be:

Sydney, Australia

San Francisco - especially upon return in the early morning, seeing all the

City lights come on, and sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge

Agree re Sitka, and love Acapulco at night -especially at Christmas

Although cruise ships cannot come into this harbor due to its small size, it is hard to imagine a more beautiful harbor anywhere in the world than Marblehead, Massachusetts.....the birthplace of the U.S. Navy.

Um, the Navy's birthplace was Naragansett Bay, Sail, even their official history recognizes that! (click here ) :)

-dave

Most impressive for me, has been Rio at sunrise.

Leaving Acapulco at night was also very nice.

Other ports I have enjoyed sailing into are: Ushuaia, Sitka and San Diego. Vancouver is also a favorite, more so departing than arriving.

Um, the Navy's birthplace was Naragansett Bay, Sail, even their official history recognizes that! (click here ) :)

-dave

Um...they have been fighting it out for years along with Beverly, Massachusetts. I am not going to bother to google for you for Marblehead. If you wish to.... :)

Archived