Fins an Flippers Island

Getaway3

Fighterone....We will be there on Jan.22.( on a Thursday,) are you saying it gets crowed there on Thursdays? We were looking for a nice quiet place to swim and snorkle and had heard great things about F&F. What time do the other guest get there?

I really don't know if it gets crowded and how much or when the other guests get there because we were not there on a Thursday. The waiter is the one who told my DH this. Do e-mail Cindy, the manager, and she will tell you. The place is very spacious and I don't know if the picnic takes place in the general vicinity of the pool. Let us know what you find out.

I would go there again, even if the place were more crowded. It is very much worth it. Have fun!

We didn't see any massage tables there or any signs advertising massages. Don't know that they offer these and we toured the grounds pretty extensively.

Don't miss the meal of the day. The fried grouper was the best I've ever had. It was served with black beans, rice, red cabbage slaw and fried plantains. A friend had the same dish as I did and when he mentioned to the waiter that he didn't get any plantains in his, the waiter said that "the cook must have forgotten because she is getting pretty old". She was a sweet lady.

The bartender, Morrison, cut open a coconut that I found on the beach and put a straw in it so I could enjoy the milk. No charge! His pina coladas made with flor de cana were great.

Don't miss the bottled hot sauce if you are a fan of hot sauces. It was unusual. It is called "Celase Special Hot Sauce" and is made with coconut oil, banana peppers and (I remember the bottle said many more ingredients). I write this from memory of what I read on the bottle while sampling it when I was there. As I now look at the bottle I brought back to list the ingredients here, I note that the area with the list of ingredients has been blacked out with a sharpie. Bummer! This is the most expensive bottle of hot sauce I have ever bought but well worth it. Sorry I won't be able to get it again. I sent an email to the address on the bottle but didn't get a response.

A friend had the fundido which is served in an intersting way. If you are concerned with lead, you might want to pass on it. The mixture of black beans and cheese is melted and served over a bed of hot coals in a little clay bowl with chips.

Crew members from our ship also spent the day there. They used the beach and in the pool.

One thing to note: if you go to F&F on a Thursday, be prepared to share the facilities with more than the usual group of cruisers. A neighbor island hotel also an Anthony Key Resort ferries their guest to F&F for a picnic every Thursday.

Unfortunately, there are many stray dogs in Coxen Holel they didn't bother us. They walk alongside the cars and mingle with the crowds of tourists and beg for a piece of food and to be petted. They don't smell very good. I was not scared of them and wish I could have brought them all home with me. They are pretty mangy looking and some are badly bruised. It's really a shame to see them and it broke my heart.

Josette, I might add that while you and Zoomer were snorkeling, 2 ladies from F&F came by asking if we'd like a massage or our hair braided. They were wearing nametags from F&F.

Ok i'm ready to go...NOW!!! Was looking for something to do in Roatan besides the zip-lining thing. (been there..done that)..I'm so thrilled to discover this little slice of heaven on the boards!!! Sent DH the link to FandF' date=' waiting for his 'go' (like it matters..hehe) and i'm booking online...might throw in the massage too...

[b']On another note, anyone know how many ships will be in Roatan on 1/27/09?[/b]?

Only the Norwegian Pearl according to this site:

http://www.cruisett.com/ports.php?PortID=606&date=5

You can see what ships are in a particular port on this site, or check a particular ship's itinerary.

Josette, I might add that while you and Zoomer were snorkeling, 2 ladies from F&F came by asking if we'd like a massage or our hair braided. They were wearing nametags from F&F.

Fins n Flippers does not solicate massages or hair braiding on their beach, nor do they wear nametags,not sure where you were at. They do offer massages on their website though.

Fins n Flippers does not solicate massages or hair braiding on their beach, nor do they wear nametags,not sure where you were at. They do offer massages on their website though.

We were at the pool area when they came around....and yes, they were wearing nametags with F&F on them.

We just got back from Fins and Flippers and I must say it was great. Very clean and the snorkeling was terrific.

We ordered the first 4 items on the menu plus all 6 of us ordered the very best Pina Colado I’ve ever had and it all came out to be something like 68.00.

The food is wonderful and the drinks were amazing.

They are building a zoo and already have some monkeys and a leopard there. Iguanas roam the Island freely and so does what they call Island rabbits.

If you make reservations and tell them once you get there it’s only 20.00 a person for the day. We really did enjoy this place and was a highlight of our cruise.

We were there this past Friday and would say that there might have been twenty people at the most.

I didn’t see anything about a massage but if it was like the other prices it would be very reasonable. Great Place

We went to Fins and Flippers last week from our Valor cruise. A beautiful location, and inexpensive. Snorkeling off their pier was great, the food and drink very tasty and inexpensive, very friendly staff.

You could snorkel as much / long as you want, not like most of the excursion reef snorkel tours that almost rush you along for only a brief time. My wife and son stayed in the water over 3 hrs, just swimming around and looking at the fish / reef.

We took deet spray & wipes with us, but didn't (at first) feel any bites. Later we started noticing the red dots from the no-see-um bugs (this is what someone called them) - very-very small flys. They started to get annoying around 4 PM. By the time we put the bug spray on, we had all been bitten up pretty well. but the bug spray stopped them from that point on.

Even though I'm still itching some of the bites a week later - I'd go back to fins & flippers in a heartbeat. It was simply a beautiful, relaxing day. My advise though - put the bug spray on first thing - and have a perfect day!

My husband & I were there about a month ago for our honeymoon. We literally had the place to ourselves, Perfect!... it was like we were on a private island or something! They have a zoo area with monkeys, parrots, etc, they were also building an area for shark swimming and there's lots of gorgeous vegetation but our focus was snorkeling! It was literally breathtaking, we had our own guide, Umberto and didn't feel rushed at all, he was extremely helpful & knowledgable. Also, I recommend the fundidos & pina coladas!

I've read all of these great reviews of Fins N Flippers, but it seems as if they don't have any lockers to stow your stuff while snorkeling. Where does everyone keep their belongings? (towels, shoes, etc) Also, any recommendations for water-proof holders for cash? Thanks:)

I've read all of these great reviews of Fins N Flippers, but it seems as if they don't have any lockers to stow your stuff while snorkeling. Where does everyone keep their belongings? (towels, shoes, etc) Also, any recommendations for water-proof holders for cash? Thanks:)

I'll be there next month. Hopefully everyone will be trustworthy! :)

This is what I bought to store some cash and my cruise card and ID. It's not big enough for a Passport if you take yours ashore but it comes with the straps and pouch needed to keep it around your waist, arm or neck. My swim trunks have a lot of pockets so I just stuck it in one I could zip up and it worked great while snorkeling.

http://www.waterproofcases.net/pakpak.html

I'll be there next month. Hopefully everyone will be trustworthy! :)

This is what I bought to store some cash and my cruise card and ID. It's not big enough for a Passport if you take yours ashore but it comes with the straps and pouch needed to keep it around your waist, arm or neck. My swim trunks have a lot of pockets so I just stuck it in one I could zip up and it worked great while snorkeling.

http://www.waterproofcases.net/pakpak.html

Thanks for the link.. I'll be looking into those cases!

Hi! Where did you end up finding the calendar showing what ships are in port? I'm looking for one as well!

How do you find out how many other ships are in port on a specific date? I'd love to know how many will be with us in Roatan on 7/23. Thanks!

Never mind I found a calendar and it shows just the Valor in port that day. Might be a quiet day at F&F :)

JUst got back from our cruise today. Fins n Flippers is great! We felt like we had our own private island, maybe 20 people. It is very clean, no lockers though. Bring your beach towel. Sun screen and bug repelent is very expensive to buy there.. we saw between 18-25 dollars.

We read about the sand fleas, so we sprayed our feet. But the NO-SEE-UMS were the real problem. I'm talking at least 100 bites on my husband's back!! So if you go, spray ALL OVER!!

My husband did not seem to be bothered by the bites, but I have allergies to a few things, and I had big welts where they bit me and they itched alot for about three days!! I really am not a complaining person but I do want to warn everyone! I spoke with someone else who had the same problem in the port area in Roatan, so my advise would be to be sure to spray yourself all over if you get off the ship there!

As for Fins n Flippers, I would go there again in a Heartbeat!:)

We were on the Legend last week, went to Fins and Flippers while in Roatan, LOVED it. Aprox 10-15 people there, it felt like our own private beach. Bring bug spray, you will not see the critters that bite. The snorkling was amazing, you will swim thru corral tunnels. Food was very reasonable.:)

Hello, my DH and I will be at F&F next month. I'm looking forward to the snorkeling and have already bought the masks and snorkels. This will be our first time snorkeling though, and I wanted to know if we should bring water shoes, or would it be better to rent the flippers.. or have both! Thanks:o

Archived