Fins an Flippers Island

Getaway3

Hi! We will be on Valor in January and scheduled to be in Roatan from 12p-7pm. I was wondering what time the resort is open to? Isn't it getting dark there earlier because it's winter? I'm from NY and it gets dark here around 5pm (I think) during winter months. Does anyone know what time you have to leave Fins & Flippers? We were hoping to do a short Bodden tour first to see some of the island and then finish the day at Fins and Flippers. Does anyone think that would be feasible?? Thanks in advance for any info!

We were just at Fins and Flippers last Tuesday and it was wonderful. We booked in advance for $20 per person plus tax. It is beautiful and I agree with the post above about the restrooms. I know it sounds lame to talk about bathrooms but they were the cleanest I think I've seen anywhere, especially in the caribbean. Everything at FNF was so clean. The atmosphere is beautiful and peaceful. I loved it! It was my favorite part of the trip.

A word on the snorkeling - it is amazing!! BUT - the coral is very close to the surface and you have to swim over it to get to the good part. We went out once and came right back in because I got so frustrated with the shallow water. Then another couple was raving about how great it was so we decided to give it another chance and we were soooo glad we did. I've been snorkeling in several places (Bahamas, Grand Cayman, Grand Turk, Hawaii) and this was by far the best I've ever seen. It'd be hard not like FNF and if you are a snorkeling fan it'd be impossible not to like it!!!:D

Hi! We will be on Valor in January and scheduled to be in Roatan from 12p-7pm. I was wondering what time the resort is open to? Isn't it getting dark there earlier because it's winter? I'm from NY and it gets dark here around 5pm (I think) during winter months. Does anyone know what time you have to leave Fins & Flippers? We were hoping to do a short Bodden tour first to see some of the island and then finish the day at Fins and Flippers. Does anyone think that would be feasible?? Thanks in advance for any info!

We were there last week and I'm pretty sure the last ferry is at 5:00. You could e-mail them thru their website and they could tell you for sure. Cindy is very responsive.

I was at Fins & Flippers this past Wednesday (Oct 22nd). Words are hard to describe it and Pictures dont do it justice. My wife and I Loved it. We will be going back to Fins and Flippers if we ever go back to Roatan.

The beach was wonderful. And the Snorkeling was the fantasic. I saw cow fish, lobsters, Parrotfish and so much more. You can rent the gear there for $7.00. We took our children. They first played on the beach. We brought some plastic play shovels with us so they could build sand castles. It kept them busy for a long while. Then we took them to the pool area. They loved it and so did we. They played in the pool and my wife and I enjoyed the beer and food by the pool side.

The bathrooms are very clean!!!!!! The bar has great drinks and food. The prices are very reasonable.

If you reserve in advance you save $5.00 on each adult and $2.50 for each child.

The Manager for Fins and Flippers is Cindy Carter. She greeted everyone as we docked at the Fins & Flippers dock.

The Boat used to transport us from the Pier to the Island is Very new and Sea worthy.

We were in Roatan last Wednesday too. Fins and Flippers was great! We got the massage and it was wonderful. If you're thinking about it, do it! The sign on the dock is missing, but it's only a short walk from the pier. Roatan is scary looking when you get off the pier, but the people are very friendly. My nephew loved the beach and playing with the other kids and loved the pool. The food was good and reasonably priced. The service was prompt and friendly at every turn. We will go back for sure when we make it back to Roatan. The ship should really spend more time there. They are two hours behind ship time, so we got there before 7am local time.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Fins and Flipper just last week and it was better than described. One of the best parts is that it is so close to the dock, it litterally takes just a few minutes to get there. Very clean and well maintained grounds and facilities. Pool was very nice and the beach was exceptional. You can snorkel all you want right off of the pier by the beach and the snorkeling is really very good for not having to waste time getting on another boat to find a reef.

I would very much recommend this place. Oh yea, the beers are only $2 and the food was very good and reasonable as well. When all the excursion sellers accost you when leaving the ship just tell them you already booked at Fins and Flippers and they give up the sale as they know how nice it is as well.

My wife does not like to snorkel. I do. Will she be able just a swim in the ocean? My understanding is that she wont, but I would like to confirm with someone who has been there recently.Thanks

If F&F doesn't work out to be a good fit for your wife... you may want to consider West Bay Beach. It's about a mile long natural white sand beach, with very little wave action due to the reef just off shore. There's no seagrass or rocks (at all!) and the sand is like baby-powder. Honestly, it's the most beautiful beach I've ever been to.

Just a thought... but, I'm looking forward to my first F&F visit over Thanksgiving week. I'm anxious to compare and see what all the buzz is about. I may soon have a new favorite!:cool:

If F&F doesn't work out to be a good fit for your wife... you may want to consider West Bay Beach. It's about a mile long natural white sand beach, with very little wave action due to the reef just off shore. There's no seagrass or rocks (at all!) and the sand is like baby-powder. Honestly, it's the most beautiful beach I've ever been to.

Just a thought... but, I'm looking forward to my first F&F visit over Thanksgiving week. I'm anxious to compare and see what all the buzz is about. I may soon have a new favorite!:cool:

THanks for advise, but I would like to snorkel myself, so I was wandering if West Bay will be any good for that? F&F is obviously exceptional...

THanks for advise, but I would like to snorkel myself, so I was wandering if West Bay will be any good for that? F&F is obviously exceptional...

The photos in my Roatan webshots album (see below my signature) are from the beach at West Bay Beach. I thought it was pretty amazing. But, can't wait to see the wall at F & F!

No, it is not a problem at all.....remember Roatan is a small Island that does not have a great deal of air traffic. Sat. and Sundays are the busiest and it is unlikely that you will have alot of planes in the short time you are there.

We were at Fins and Flipper's this past summer in July. It is a beautiful oasis and a great place to spend a day. The food was excellent and the drinks were strong! We spent the majority of the day at the beach area, which is small, but perfect. The snorkeling off the pier area is really beautiful. Staff are exceptional and welcoming! Easy to find the dock... no worries there. We would go back again in the future as well.

Their gift shop has a good selection of pottery, wood work, etc. We found most of our pottery in one of the shops just outside the cruise center before we got to F & F's.

The airport never was a worry for us, in terms of air traffic.

Just a beautiful place to spend a day with very few other passengers to share it with. What is not to like about that?

Hope this helps.

I am a little confused on the beach at Fins and Flippers. It seems some say the beach is good there and some say it is not as good.

We do not snorkel but like the beach. Our kids play in the sand and we all go into the water but not too deep, say chest high. We are looking for relaxing, nice beach, decent food.

Can you please help me know if the beach is good for our needs?

Thank you,

David

Here is the beach looking back from the snorkeling pier:

vdlohz.jpg

343oeva.jpg

6ftoc9.jpg

And of the snorkel area:

2lwqfdg.jpg

2dwec0.jpg

To be truthful though, there isn't a stretch of clear sandy area under water at the beach that doesn't have sea grass for swimming in. We like the grass cuz there's always interesting critters in it. But swimmers may not. And the water at the end of the pier is very shallow and you may hit the coral if you try to swim much. Floating and snorkeling is fantastic though. And there is so much else to recommend the island that we will be going again in January. It's really a neat place, but don't tell anybody! SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!;)

was just there last week....bring Deet. i got lots of bites on my shoulders and backs of my arms. and a few on my legs.

snorkeling rental is now $8 with $20 deposit. they have a snorkeling guide who helps out.

there were 14 people there the day i went.

i did hear a few planes fly overhead.

i did not reserve in advance and paid $25 PLUS $3 tax that i dont believe anyone else has ever mentioned.

the 2$ beer is local beer. Corona is $3

Archived