Fins an Flippers Island

Getaway3

The pics are just regular uploaded pics on Photobucket.

Access to F&F is only available through the pier in town. You take a very short ride out to the island. The first pic I show is the island viewed from the pier. You can see the pier in the pic.

Just do it; you'll love it! :D

Carolina Girl here! :) *waves* from Aiken!

We're going in October...thinking about F&F. Great pics! Thanks! Were there many people there?

Hi Aiken!

Not many people when we were there! It was great for us; maybe not so for F&F, but it was no problem doing anything. There were probably only 15 people on the entire island when we were there! It was great! :)

The pictures & descriptions are VERY accurate. Most folks have booked other excursions ( I don't recall if this one is offered by the ships). We booked it on our own as did a few others in our group. We found that most people that were there were either in our group or they were crew members (which was cool too). It really is a neat place. Just bear in mind that when you get in the water at the end of the pier, there is coral all around you. Try not to stand on it as you will kill it. Oh and see if you can find the tire.............

Hi ya'll,

I've seen some questions about getting in the water when snorkeling and how to avoid coral. I'll throw a few suggestions out, some might work for you (or not). This is real basic, so please don't flame if you already know this stuff, just skip to the next post.

If the water is fairly deep at the end of the pier and the distance between the pier and the water is not too great, you can reach down and wet the fins; put them on; take a big step out and bring your legs together in a scissor kick when you hit the water. Hold on to your mask with one hand.

If you can't reach the water to wet your fins or can't guess how deep it is, you probably shouldn't jump in. Climb down and (if possible) sit on the bottom rung of the ladder and then put the fins on.

If the bottom rung is too small to sit on, put fins on the ladder rung at water line (just like a shelf); roll over on your back in the water next to the ladder and put the fins on. It's just easier when are floating and you can see your foot in the air in front of you and not trying to stand on the other foot (well, it is for me). For those of you who have water skied, you know what I mean.

If you walk in from the beach, walk backwards until you're about waist deep, or so, turn around, and then swim. Obviously, look where you are going. If it is rocky or mucky, start swimming as soon as you can float. You'd be amazed how little water you need to float. Obviously, don't walk in anywhere where you see coral.

When snorkeling,take regular slow deep breaths (please don't hyperventilate). The extra air in your lungs will give you a little bouancy. Swim with your fins, not your arms (keep your arms by your side). Take long slow kicks, with your hips / legs up (horizontal at the surface). If you get tired, roll over and float for a little bit (see part above about deep breaths), keeping your legs horizontal at the surface by kicking slowly and easily.

Never "get vertical" when swimming above coral. Your legs / lower body should always be at, or very near, the surface. If you get tired, roll over and float a little bit (yep, I'm repeating myself).

Again, real basic stuff. And if anybody strongly disagrees with me, please suggest a better alternative, I'm always looking to learn new stuff!

I hope this is useful for at least one person out there, your mileage may vary.

-ww

This has me really excited about our July stop in Roatan! Thanks to all who have posted about their great experiences at Fins and Flippers. It sounds like exactly what our group of 8 is looking for...great snorkeling, cheap drinks, good food, and blue water!! Can't wait!:D

Take it from this South Carolinian, F&F is a great place. You won't regret going there. Somewhere in this thread are pics of our recent trip there, but I'll repost them here. Check out how nice it is, and it's so close to the main island! You just take a very short walk through town to the pier, hop on the boat, and take a 5 minute ride across the bay to the island!

FFbeach4.jpg

FFbeach3.jpg

Restaurant patio

FFrestaurant2.jpg

Pool from restaurant side.

FFpool1.jpg

Pool from opposite side.

FFpoolviewfromrear.jpg

We were there mid August 2008 -- and loved it....Ended up spending the entire day there. The snorkeling, beach, lunch, gift shop, ferry & even the rest rooms were the best I've seen anywhere in the Caribbean. The pictures posted in this thread give a really good idea of what it's like.

We booked in advance ($20pp) through their website and saved $5 pp. We paid in cash upon arrival...Do be aware, however, that they add a VAT tax...I think it was about $2.24. The tax wasn't that big a deal, but if one didn't know about it and take some extra money, that could mean one less beer per person! :eek:

has anyone been to F&F lately? I see most of the posts were dated back almost a year ago. Can anyone that has been there recently let me know if it is still a great place to go?

Thanks!!

Scroll up about 4 posts. I posted pics of our recent trip in September of this year.

Yes, it's a fantastic place! GO!!!!!!!! :)

has anyone been to F&F lately? I see most of the posts were dated back almost a year ago. Can anyone that has been there recently let me know if it is still a great place to go?

Thanks!!

We were there on Tuesday and it was wonderful. The pictures above really capture it, I will post some once I get them of m camera.

Archived