Fins an Flippers Island

Getaway3

I saw the Aerial pictures of Fin and Flippers. Are you restricted to snorkeling within the pier border?

The border you see there is at the dock where the ferry brings you over. I am not sure what is in that bordered area. It looked like a place to keep fish or people fenced in. The main snorkling area is actually at the end of the pier that is on the other side of the gift shop and pool area. I am not sure about the aerial view you have, but if you can follow the coastline counter-clock wise around the island you will see a pier with a small shelter at the very end. That is where you go snorkeling and where the nice beach chairs sun and shade is located.

Very nice place,

Andy

we were the first couple to arrive... we left our "stuff" on a beach chair while we snorkeled. did not bring anything of value beside a water proof digital camera that we took into the water w/ us. we felt very safe @ fins and flippers.

I'm pretty sure we got our reservation confirmation the day we filled out the form online.

We did the same, just took our stuff right down to the beach. Didn't notice any lockers there, but didn't feel like our stuff was in danger of getting bothered. The beach is private and I didn't see anyone there other than our fellow Glory passengers.

As for the reservations, we got a reply within a few hours of sending in the request online. Make sure you print the confirmation out, you will need it to get the advance pricing of 20/person.

Is this the only thing on the island? From some pictures I saw it looks like it has some other stuff on it.

We did not see much else. Beach, with swimming and snorkeling, beach chairs, sun and shade, very nice pool, snack bar/outdoor restaurant, large restrooms, large gift shop. A VERY NICE place and a great fit for what we we wanted.

Is this the only thing on the island? From some pictures I saw it looks like it has some other stuff on it.

We were just there last week and let me tell you this is by far one of the BEST places we've visited on all 4 of our cruises! I have several pictures I'll be posting to show just how gorgeous this place is. Totally relaxing. I spent some time talking to Cindy who manages the property. They now own 12 acres of the island from what I recall her saying. They are planning on expanding to include more activities and areas to enjoy. The efforts and work they put into this resort is apparant from the moment you get out of the boat that they bring you to the resort on. You are free to wander the island and explore on your own and they actually encourage you to do so. There are several workers clearing and maintaining the grounds who were friendly with a nod or a wave. As far as needing lockers we never felt like we needed one and our belongings were untouched the entire time we were there. There were ship staff and about 20 other ship passengers there that day.

My ONLY complaint which wasn't really a complaint but I think everyone should know in advance that there is a disclaimer on the rate section of their site that says:

US Dollars. Prices are subject to 12% VAT.

Now being unfamiliar with paying VAT on any other excursion this caught me off gaurd as it did with several others that were there that day. This increases the price to $22.40 for advanced bookings per person. I spoke with Cindy about this since I many people may be surprised esp if they came in larger groups. Not a big deal and definatly worth every bit of that :)

I have to wonder what the fascination is with topless beaches. Spent a week in the south of France a few years ago. It was OK, but it really wasn't a big deal. Rather liberating, but I just don't know why everyone is so intent on finding topless sunbathing. And for those guys who just want to oggle, not all the sights are pleasant. :p

Anyway, my question is about the snorkeling.

I just did my first snorkel excursion in May in Cozumel, where we waded in from the beach. I'm not really a swimmer. Would I be OK at F&F?

I keep reading that the water is very shallow and to be careful of scraping the coral. Are you able to stand?

I'm just concerned because I got really tired in Coz (it was about 45 minutes of snorkeling). But we had a guide swimming and pointing out things in the water plus another guide in a kayak to keep watch over the group.

I'd feel really stupid if I went to F&F next time and drowned because I'm a novice and there's no one around to help me if I get in trouble. DD has a little more experience, but she's certainly not an expert.

NC Tribe Fan

When we were there in April I asked for a life vest or a floatation device for my wife. They let us use 2 life vests from their shuttle boat. We were the only 2 people there for half the day so they did not charge us, otherwise I think they might get a few bucks for one. The water is shallow at the pier and you can stand. You will be able to find paths through the coral to deeper water and there will be lots to see. The vests cam in handy to just float around and take in all the underwater sights. We had the best day of our cruise at F&F. The pool area is very well done, plenty of tables and chairs, be sure to order the Island Special and tell em "lots of rum" he kept pouring til we said enough. Its a special place to us and we will be back.

John & Carol

I have to wonder what the fascination is with topless beaches... Rather liberating, but I just don't know why everyone is so intent on finding topless sunbathing.

Some people like to shop on vacation...I can't understand why people would travel all over the world to buy more junk to fill up their houses.

Some people like to play golf...I can't understand why they travel all over the world to hit little balls into little holes...

When I'm on vacation, I like to do things I can't normally do at home, including letting my 'girls' out for air. As you said, it is liberating, and believe it or not, on a cruise, I like to do it so I don't have crazy tan lines conflicting with my formal dresses. One of my pet peeves... And since there is plenty of free sun available, I refuse to pay for fake 'n bake anywhere.

I am not intent on finding it, but I like to take advantage of it when it's available. We've never chosen an itinerary based on that, but since Carnival has removed the topless deck, I'm exploring my options...

I certainly wouldn't try to stand on the coral. Even I know better than that. I don't want to do anything to hurt it (or me, for that matter). Thanks for the info, folks.

I don't shop when I'm cruising, either. I have enough junk at home, and I don't wear the jewelry I aready own. I was so poor for so long that I just don't spend unless I really, really need to.

Unless, of course, it's to pay for a cruise!

I would imagine that you can go topless at just about any beach if you're off away from the "activities." I just "peel" my top down as far as possible.

I'm so flat-chested no one would notice even if I did go topless! DD & I did go up on the old funnel decks on Fantasy & Elation (on opposite sides of the funnel so we wouldn't accidently look at each other!). Gotta be very careful and use sunscreen.

I certainly wouldn't try to stand on the coral. Even I know better than that. I don't want to do anything to hurt it (or me, for that matter). Thanks for the info, folks.

stand on it....but it is easy to get close and not realize how close you are and it will hurt you...so i was just wanting you to beware if it is shallow...;)

Just got off the Carnival Legend five days ago...in fact, we were at Fins'n'Flippers a week ago today....sigh.

It was BEAUTIFUL!!!! Cindy, the manager, also spent time talking with me, sharing the plans of the owner....

And yes, I wish we had known exactly how much the tax was going to be on the $20 per person charge...argh.

My husband and daughter enjoyed the snorkling...my youngest son enjoyed the beach...I enjoyed the pool...my oldest son just enjoyed vegging. We all enjoyed the $6.00 shrimp/plantain plate....and yummy, it was wonderful!!

Just wish we had more hours there....it was certainly different than being in the town area, and the contrast was astounding....but Fins'n'Flippers was a nice change from the things we did at the other three ports.

Thumbs up for Fins'n'Flippers

I have been reading everyones posts and still have a question or two...:D.

It looks like quite a lengthy ladder to get to the water to start the snorkel.....ladders are not my strong point. Is this a really sturdy ladder?

I can't imagine going up or down with fins on......so do you try to carry them and float at the bottom to put them on, or stand on one foot on the ladder to put them on?

I understand it is shallow at the bottom of the ladder and I'm not the most athletic and coordinated person (that's why snorkeling is good for me normally).

Any specifics on this would be appreciated...

Nancy

• 3 weeks later...

Nancy, when we went they were out of snorkels and flippers (I suggest you leave the boat soon after docking to get there first). We got in any way. I don't remember the ladder being unsturdy, but it was narrow and short. The water is high enough to almost reach the dock. I believe there is a sandy area once you get in that you could probably put your flippers on there. It is shallow enough to stand in. The current does not break in on the area much, so the water is very calm.

Overall, we had a excellent time here last week. Roatan is very crowded and people were all over us when we got off the boat. If you just want to relax, I URGE you to try F&F. There were about 30 guests on the day we went, so it was more crowded than I expected, but very nice. We just walked to the very end of the beach area and got the last hammock and pulled a lounge chair from down the beach (we were right past the snorkeling pier). There was a little more beach area beyond us. The beach area is shallow and there is a lot of murky looking seaweed mid ways out before the coral. It isn't a swimming beach, unless you go past the coral. However, we never were uncomfortable. There are an incredible amount of shade trees here. I have posted some pictures.

2700660100103926100S425x425Q85.jpg

Looking back at boat from water taxi dock

2815705660103926100S425x425Q85.jpg

Water taxi dock

2447825230103926100S425x425Q85.jpg

2611446800103926100S425x425Q85.jpg

Tons of shells

2563769340103926100S425x425Q85.jpg

looking up to pool/eating area (doesn't give good example, but was really nice)

2256007110103926100S425x425Q85.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

DH & I will be on the Legend in a couple of weeks with 2 of our parents in their 80's. F&F sounds wonderful to me, especially the shade ... but I'm wondering. The folks can walk, (are not disabled) but cannot walk really long distances or stand for long periods of time. We have rented wheelchairs for use on the ship in case they get too tired to walk back & forth from our cabin to the dining room or have to wait in long lines.

Would it be reasonable to bring their wheelchairs to F & F or is there no where to push them other than in sand? Would the chairs fit on the boats that transport you there? How much walking between getting off the ship and getting on the boat? Sidewalks anywhere?

Thanks for any replys!

dd's mom

We really enjoyed F&F last week. Everyone was very nice and the facilities were great. The beach was beautiful and so was the pool. Below are some pics. The first one is the island as it appears from the dock in downtown Roatan. It was so easy to get to; just take a short walk from the ship to the dock. The prices of the restaurant were very reasonable. Local beer was $2!

FFisland.jpg

FFbeach4.jpg

FFbeach3.jpg

FFrestaurant2.jpg

FFpool1.jpg

FFpool2.jpg

I found it easy in and out on the ladder at the end of the pier. The water is shallow and the bottom is sandy at the base of the ladder so it was easy to put flippers and masks on.

Some in our group walked out from shore & started snorkeling when the water was deep enough....but there was a lot of sea grass and the better option was the pier & ladder IMO.

Also note the water is shallow and in some place there is very little clearance between your tummy and the top of the coral...so choose your path carefully....be sure to swim out far enough to get to the big drop off for great views of the gorgeous reef, fish, sea fans, corals, etc. Trust me...you will know when you are "there" because suddenly everything changes from really nice to amazinig! The water was crystal clear and calm the day we were there. Standing at the end of the pier swim out at about 11 o'clock. If you "study" the water, you will begin to see lighter colored passageways that are much easier to navigate than swimming out over the top of the coral.

We spent the entire day at F&F...loved the lunch & the $2 local beers. It was just a beautiful place.

Archived