Audio Books

LynnAB

okay... butting into a conversation here... Sundays at Tiffanys... is that the new James Patterson book? I've seen it at the stores and really enjoy his books (though they can be a little.... short for my tastes) and it looks interesting. What are your thoughts on it?

We are ALWAYS looking for new books to discuss and add to our to read/listen to list. Please feel free to add good and bad information.

Jim

okay... butting into a conversation here... Sundays at Tiffanys... is that the new James Patterson book? I've seen it at the stores and really enjoy his books (though they can be a little.... short for my tastes) and it looks interesting. What are your thoughts on it?

Hi. WELCOME!!!

Feel free to jump in here anytime. We love to discuss books, both audio and book books <g>.

I'm not going to say too much about Sundays at Tiffany's because I want Jim to listen to it <g>, but it sure doesn't seem like James Patterson wrote this book. I guess it's comparable to his shorter romantic type stories but with a fantasy type of slant to it. That being said, I enjoyed the book, but this may be because the narrator, Ellen Archer, was sooooooo good. I'm not sure I would have felt the same if I had READ the book. I would LOVE to discuss the plot once you or Jim read the book!!! I don't want to "spoil" anything.

Feel free to recommend ANYTHING you've enjoyed, though! I'm always searching for great authors and great reads.

Lynn

I am a voracious reader, although real life sometimes gets in the way of my true reading passion. :) I usually read the books, but am thinking that listening to them on my iPod on my way to work would be nice. what genres are you mainly interested in? I am currently reading "Odd Hours" by Dean Koontz and "The Queen of Bedlam" by Robert McCammon. Both are quite good but in very very different ways.

I'm baaaack!!:D Hey Lynn just finished Sunday's at Tiffany's I would love to discuss it once Jim finishes it.

Oh, that's GREAT. Once we get Jim to read it <g>, we can have a mini book club!!!

Lynn

I am a voracious reader, although real life sometimes gets in the way of my true reading passion. :) I usually read the books, but am thinking that listening to them on my iPod on my way to work would be nice. what genres are you mainly interested in? I am currently reading "Odd Hours" by Dean Koontz and "The Queen of Bedlam" by Robert McCammon. Both are quite good but in very very different ways.

Since you said you are "thinking" about listening to books, I have to comment. I was that way until last year. NOW the majority of the books that I "read" are audio books, although I also READ books, too, of course. I absolutely am ADDICTED to audio books. As long as you have a good narrator, I find audio books unbelievably compelling. I carry my player around with me all the time and listen while driving to work, during slow times AT work (I'm a court reporter and have some down time during the day), sometimes while I'm shopping, and at home while cooking or cleaning or doing odd jobs around the house. I am "getting through" many, many books this way, certainly a LOT more than if I were READING them page by page. My opinion is that the audio books come alive in a very special way. I love them!

Just my opinion <g> ...

Different genres? Hmmm. I like contemporary fiction, light mystery or suspense that isn't too gory, humorous mystery, a romantic story if there's a real story and if it isn't too light.

Lynn

We are ALWAYS looking for new books to discuss and add to our to read/listen to list. Please feel free to add good and bad information.

Jim

Okay, Jim,

We're now waiting for YOU so we can discuss SUNDAYS AT TIFFANY'S <g> ... but don't feel pressured <g>.

Lynn

You're probably right about THAT ... although don't hate me when you listen to Sundays at Tiffany's. I know you had mentioned to someone on this board that you were interested in it. That's why I'm mentioning it to you. I really want to talk about it with you <g>.

Lynn

Will be downloading it this evening! All the mystery of this has added to my anticipation.

Jim

Will be downloading it this evening! All the mystery of this has added to my anticipation.

Jim

Uh .... don't get too excited. It's not like a lot of the books that you're used to <g>.

Lynn

Since you said you are "thinking" about listening to books, I have to comment. I was that way until last year. NOW the majority of the books that I "read" are audio books, although I also READ books, too, of course. I absolutely am ADDICTED to audio books. As long as you have a good narrator, I find audio books unbelievably compelling. I carry my player around with me all the time and listen while driving to work, during slow times AT work (I'm a court reporter and have some down time during the day), sometimes while I'm shopping, and at home while cooking or cleaning or doing odd jobs around the house. I am "getting through" many, many books this way, certainly a LOT more than if I were READING them page by page. My opinion is that the audio books come alive in a very special way. I love them!

Just my opinion <g> ...

Different genres? Hmmm. I like contemporary fiction, light mystery or suspense that isn't too gory, humorous mystery, a romantic story if there's a real story and if it isn't too light.

Lynn

I agree with Lynn's comments about audio books they ADD to the pleasure and experience of a book (at least for the most part). Try it, you can get recent books from your library (either downloaded or CD or MP3 format) for free and then if they work for you, get a good inexpensive MP3 player. Lynn can attest to how much it has opened her listening habits.

In regards to genre's, all are open to discussion, although we all may not like all genre's. I see you mentioned Dean Koontz, I have read/listened to most of his but not the one you mentioned. It must be in the Odd Thomas line. Let me know how you like it. I enjoy Stephen King as well and have listened to most of his as well.

Jim

LOL, don't go soft on me now, you have been teasing me for a week on this one!!! <g>

Oh, I'm not .... I think you're intrigued enough. I just don't want you to be let down. This isn't your macho type of book <g>.

Okay... now I've got to try audio books. :) As for my typical genre, I'm a thriller/mystery/horror buff myself, but I'll read just about anything with words in it. As for the Stephen King stuff, I love his work but didn't care much for the Dark Tower stuff he did for awhile. I finished "Duma Key" awhile back and absolutely LOVED it. Have you read that?

Yes, "Odd Hours" is the fourth book in the Odd Thomas series. It's not as good as some of the others (in my opinion) but it was good.

OK I'm going to add in my two cents. I love audio books I have listened to them for about 10 years now. I started out with a cassette player, moved on to a CD player and now use my ipod. I just finished Lady Killer by Lisa Scottoline in book form and wouldn't you know it the library had it on CD. I almost checked it out just to hear the voices brought to life. Another resource for finding books on CD is the used book stores more of them are now carrying audio books.

OK I'm going to add in my two cents. I love audio books I have listened to them for about 10 years now. I started out with a cassette player, moved on to a CD player and now use my ipod. I just finished Lady Killer by Lisa Scottoline in book form and wouldn't you know it the library had it on CD. I almost checked it out just to hear the voices brought to life. Another resource for finding books on CD is the used book stores more of them are now carrying audio books.

Wow! I can sooooooooooooooooo relate to your comment. I feel the same way right now. I would like to HEAR every book I love <g>. Okay, I'm being rationale and realize there are enough newer books to listen to, but it makes such a difference when you HEAR a great narrator bring a book you enjoy to life.

Lynn

Okay... now I've got to try audio books. :) As for my typical genre, I'm a thriller/mystery/horror buff myself, but I'll read just about anything with words in it. As for the Stephen King stuff, I love his work but didn't care much for the Dark Tower stuff he did for awhile. I finished "Duma Key" awhile back and absolutely LOVED it. Have you read that?

Yes, "Odd Hours" is the fourth book in the Odd Thomas series. It's not as good as some of the others (in my opinion) but it was good.

I enjoyed Duma Key as well, I am a big SK fan, while I echo your comments on the Dark Tower, I did still enjoy them. He is such a GREAT story teller that everything he writes is enjoyable for me to read (some are better than others). What is your favorite SK book? Have you read/listened to Dean Koontz Frankenstein books?

Jim

I enjoyed Duma Key as well, I am a big SK fan, while I echo your comments on the Dark Tower, I did still enjoy them. He is such a GREAT story teller that everything he writes is enjoyable for me to read (some are better than others). What is your favorite SK book? Have you read/listened to Dean Koontz Frankenstein books?

Jim

I don't know if I have a favorite SK book... I really liked Duma Key and it's freshest in my mind. I think Duma Key, Lisey's Story, The Stand, and The Shining may be my favorite SK books, though honestly I really love them all. I had a hard time with The Talisman which may explain why I really didn't enjoy the Dark Tower books. Actually... I should be honest... I only read the first Dark Tower book and disliked it so I didn't even try the others. Maybe they would make for good audio books to try?

I loved the Frankenstein books!!!!! I read them both and can't believe the third one still isn't out!!!!! While I enjoy the Odd Thomas books, I really think it is time for a Frankenstein book. Have you ever read Robert McCammon?

Once again I'm putting my two cents in. The Stand is my favorite SK book by far I also enjoyed the Girl That Loved Tom Gordon. I used to read alot of King but I slowed down after Pet Cemetery and Cujo. I felt that both of those books could have ended about 60 pages sooner than they did. I love Dean Koontz books and have read pretty much everything he has written. I am also looking forward to the third Frankenstein.

Going to start Sunday at Tiffany's tonight. Sorry for the delay.

JIm

That's okay, Jim. It really isn't an assignment <g>. You don't have to apologize. We're just anxious to talk with you about the book.

Lynn

Hi, Jim,

D I dare ASK how the book is going <g>?

Lynn

Sorry, had been very busy the last couple of days. OK, I have finished the book and I agree that you could question whether Patterson wrote this book. More of a Nicholas Sparks type of read/listen.

Jim

Once again I'm putting my two cents in. The Stand is my favorite SK book by far I also enjoyed the Girl That Loved Tom Gordon. I used to read alot of King but I slowed down after Pet Cemetery and Cujo. I felt that both of those books could have ended about 60 pages sooner than they did. I love Dean Koontz books and have read pretty much everything he has written. I am also looking forward to the third Frankenstein.

The Stand is my favorite as well. I have read it three times (one being the longer version...not that the others were abridged). Wish it were out as an audio book, I would listen to it again. For a while, I was worried that his best writing days were behind him by Lisey's story and Duma Key are def. back on par.

I don't know if I have a favorite SK book... I really liked Duma Key and it's freshest in my mind. I think Duma Key, Lisey's Story, The Stand, and The Shining may be my favorite SK books, though honestly I really love them all. I had a hard time with The Talisman which may explain why I really didn't enjoy the Dark Tower books. Actually... I should be honest... I only read the first Dark Tower book and disliked it so I didn't even try the others. Maybe they would make for good audio books to try?

I loved the Frankenstein books!!!!! I read them both and can't believe the third one still isn't out!!!!! While I enjoy the Odd Thomas books, I really think it is time for a Frankenstein book. Have you ever read Robert McCammon?

I have not read Robert McCammon, tell me more. The Talisman is a little hard to follow, I think there was a sequel written to that but I cannot remember. Might have been Black house which is a multi-demetionnal story as well. I did have the hardest time listening to the Dark Tower series as well but went back to it after reading something on line which he said it was his favorite. I have listened to a couple of more and while not my favorites, they are good.

How about Bag of Bones by SK, heard that one? Read by the author.