Audio Books

LynnAB

Hi, again, Jim,

Oh, I'll bet you really ARE cruising and having a blast right now!!!

I just wanted to be sure to comment before I forget -- I'm in the middle of SEARCHING FOR PARADISE IN PARKER PA. I'm really, really, really enjoying it! Thank you for the recommendation. We'll have to have a book discussion when you can ...

Lynn

Hi, again, Jim,

Oh, I'll bet you really ARE cruising and having a blast right now!!!

I just wanted to be sure to comment before I forget -- I'm in the middle of SEARCHING FOR PARADISE IN PARKER PA. I'm really, really, really enjoying it! Thank you for the recommendation. We'll have to have a book discussion when you can ...

Lynn

Hey Lynn, I ma back from our Alaskan cruise. Had a great time. Looking forward to the Eastern Carib. in a couple of weeks. Thought you would enjoy Searching for Paradise in Parker PA.

Jim

Hey Lynn, I ma back from our Alaskan cruise. Had a great time. Looking forward to the Eastern Carib. in a couple of weeks. Thought you would enjoy Searching for Paradise in Parker PA.

Jim

Welcome back, Jim,

When you're all settled back into reality, I would LOVE to hear about your Alaska cruise ... the ship and basically how you liked Alaska since I've never been there. Is that your favorite cruise itinerary now? Or Hawaii? Or Caribbean? Or .....

Yes, I really DID enjoy the author's handling a long-time marriage in Searching for Paradise in Parker PA. It's nice reading a book where a couple have been married for a long time and how they deal with that and moving forward as a couple. I thought the book was wonderful! I actually recommended it to a friend of mine who lives in Georgia. She is in a book club, and I could just IMAGINE a group of women discussing this book <g>.

Which route are you doing in the Caribbean? I've only been on the western and eastern but would LOVE to do the southern someday.

I'm glad you're back! Did you listen to any good books while you were away? Oh! Did you ride on a dog sled? I want to do that sooooo badly, but so far since we've only cruised in the Caribbean I haven't seen any dog sled excursions offered.

Lynn

Welcome back, Jim,

When you're all settled back into reality, I would LOVE to hear about your Alaska cruise ... the ship and basically how you liked Alaska since I've never been there. Is that your favorite cruise itinerary now? Or Hawaii? Or Caribbean? Or .....

Yes, I really DID enjoy the author's handling a long-time marriage in Searching for Paradise in Parker PA. It's nice reading a book where a couple have been married for a long time and how they deal with that and moving forward as a couple. I thought the book was wonderful! I actually recommended it to a friend of mine who lives in Georgia. She is in a book club, and I could just IMAGINE a group of women discussing this book <g>.

Which route are you doing in the Caribbean? I've only been on the western and eastern but would LOVE to do the southern someday.

I'm glad you're back! Did you listen to any good books while you were away? Oh! Did you ride on a dog sled? I want to do that sooooo badly, but so far since we've only cruised in the Caribbean I haven't seen any dog sled excursions offered.

Lynn

The books I listened to were just OK (did two, I will give your the names and authors in another email) nothing you would read though.... We did not do any excursions this time (we did have a small group going and they excursioned themselves to death, and yes one did do a dog sled on a glacier. The sites were the best (other than the Grand Canyon) that I have ever seen. I twas colder and rainier (is that a word) than we experienced before, but I have some great pictures. The ship is a Panamax size (made to go through the Panama Canal), and actually my favorite size smaller and narrower than the new mega cruise liners (roughly about 1/2 the tonage of the explorer class I think).

The service was the best I have ever had from Carnival. We had a great time. The only flaw as that I think they had a minor outbreak of noro on the cruise the week before because the transfer bus (booked through Carnival) kept us on the bus for almost two hours showing us the sites of Vancouver when the cruise terminal is only about 20 minutes from the airport. I think they were scrubbing the ship down during that time. When we got on I went down to the purser's desk to complain and got the explanation. I guess the bus driver did not know why and just did as he was told. Even during the captain welcome party, the officers did not shake hands, just posed for pictures. A little strange but a precaution I am sure. No-one in our group got ill or did I hear of any sickness on the ship.

We are doing an exotic eastern cruise on July 26 (and yes exotic caught me eye right away). Leaves from Miami (I will be waving so look for me) and hits San Juan, St Thomas, Half Moon Cay Bahamas (their private island), and Grand Turk. We picked this one because we have never been to Grand Turk before. Would not have picked them so close but the original cruise we had booked was canceled (I think Rosie booked the ship).

Jim

The books I listened to were just OK (did two, I will give your the names and authors in another email) nothing you would read though.... We did not do any excursions this time (we did have a small group going and they excursioned themselves to death, and yes one did do a dog sled on a glacier. The sites were the best (other than the Grand Canyon) that I have ever seen. I twas colder and rainier (is that a word) than we experienced before, but I have some great pictures. The ship is a Panamax size (made to go through the Panama Canal), and actually my favorite size smaller and narrower than the new mega cruise liners (roughly about 1/2 the tonage of the explorer class I think).

The service was the best I have ever had from Carnival. We had a great time. The only flaw as that I think they had a minor outbreak of noro on the cruise the week before because the transfer bus (booked through Carnival) kept us on the bus for almost two hours showing us the sites of Vancouver when the cruise terminal is only about 20 minutes from the airport. I think they were scrubbing the ship down during that time. When we got on I went down to the purser's desk to complain and got the explanation. I guess the bus driver did not know why and just did as he was told. Even during the captain welcome party, the officers did not shake hands, just posed for pictures. A little strange but a precaution I am sure. No-one in our group got ill or did I hear of any sickness on the ship.

We are doing an exotic eastern cruise on July 26 (and yes exotic caught me eye right away). Leaves from Miami (I will be waving so look for me) and hits San Juan, St Thomas, Half Moon Cay Bahamas (their private island), and Grand Turk. We picked this one because we have never been to Grand Turk before. Would not have picked them so close but the original cruise we had booked was canceled (I think Rosie booked the ship).

Jim

Hi, Jim,

That sounds like a wonderful cruise! I would LOVE to see Alaska someday. It's just such a LONG flight from South Florida <g>.

I have never been to Grand Turk either. I guess that's where the "exotic" comes in. You'll have to give me your review. I like St. Thomas, am not that thrilled with San Juan but it's okay, and of course Nassau will be fun. Actually, I would LOVE to get to Nassau as we became very, very good friends with a couple on our Liberty inaugural who live in Nassau. Luckily they just bought a second home not far from where we live, so hopefully we'll get to see more of them in the future.

That's okay. You don't have to tell me about yucky, scary books <g>. I'm listening to The Beach House by Jane Green ... a woman's book, for sure, so I'm happy <g>.

By the way, you don't have to explain or justify doing two cruises in July. Just rest assured, I'm envious ... even though I sailed in May. It seems so long ago. Aren't these new fuel surcharges getting crazy?

Lynn

Hi, Jim,

That sounds like a wonderful cruise! I would LOVE to see Alaska someday. It's just such a LONG flight from South Florida <g>.

I have never been to Grand Turk either. I guess that's where the "exotic" comes in. You'll have to give me your review. I like St. Thomas, am not that thrilled with San Juan but it's okay, and of course Nassau will be fun. Actually, I would LOVE to get to Nassau as we became very, very good friends with a couple on our Liberty inaugural who live in Nassau. Luckily they just bought a second home not far from where we live, so hopefully we'll get to see more of them in the future.

That's okay. You don't have to tell me about yucky, scary books <g>. I'm listening to The Beach House by Jane Green ... a woman's book, for sure, so I'm happy <g>.

By the way, you don't have to explain or justify doing two cruises in July. Just rest assured, I'm envious ... even though I sailed in May. It seems so long ago. Aren't these new fuel surcharges getting crazy?

Lynn

The fuel surcharges are getting crazy, although the last couple of days we have had a little relief. People up here in the northeast are cringing in regards to home heating oil for this coming winter. Two years ago, we paid $1.29/gallon for home heating oil, the projection for this winter on a prepay plan is $5.45. Most house use around 800 - 1,000 gallons of oil to heat in the winter.

Enough with the heavy stuff.

The fuel surcharges are getting crazy, although the last couple of days we have had a little relief. People up here in the northeast are cringing in regards to home heating oil for this coming winter. Two years ago, we paid $1.29/gallon for home heating oil, the projection for this winter on a prepay plan is $5.45. Most house use around 800 - 1,000 gallons of oil to heat in the winter.

Enough with the heavy stuff.

Hi, Jim,

WOW!!! That's insane!!! This is just getting way tooooo hard for everyone, isn't it?

Hi Lynnab my wife was also on the hurricane cruise and just wanted to say hi and glad to see you also still love to cruise.

WOW! The Song of Norway one??? That's AMAZING. I would love to talk to her about it. Does she post on here as well???

Tell your wife that I took my parents on THAT cruise so my father could recuperate from a heart attack at that time <g>. Do I know how to pick them, or what? Actually, it was a wonderful, wonderful cruise with unbelievable memories.

Lynn

• 3 weeks later...

I have been listening to a lot of audio books lately because the music on the radio just plane sucks now a days. The best narrators that I have heard so far is Jim Davis (who reads all the Harry Potter novels), Geryold Doyle (who read Eragon and Eldest), and believe it or not Brandon Frasier (who reads Dragon Rider and Inkspell). The character voices that they do are outstanding and are all really relaxing to listen to. Hopefully that gives you some Ideas.

Hi just picked put on this thread...my friend uses audible.com and the great thing about that site is you can download the books a number of times to a number of places..even give it out to others(so generous of her)

I don't get to use it much mostly when traveling...but I love them. I have David Sedaris new book...it is so funny right now on tape...

But I wondered if anyone has the Kindle...the thing you download books to and so travel with lots of books but one (or less gadgets) I think mt kids are getting it for my birthday.

I am a new cruiser..taking my first, solo in October..but looking to go ahead and book a second for the spring.

Karen

Hi just picked put on this thread...my friend uses audible.com and the great thing about that site is you can download the books a number of times to a number of places..even give it out to others(so generous of her)

I don't get to use it much mostly when traveling...but I love them. I have David Sedaris new book...it is so funny right now on tape...

But I wondered if anyone has the Kindle...the thing you download books to and so travel with lots of books but one (or less gadgets) I think mt kids are getting it for my birthday.

I am a new cruiser..taking my first, solo in October..but looking to go ahead and book a second for the spring.

Karen

I have never heard of david sedaris. Kindle is kind of a different thing, we listen ,there you read but kind of the same idea as well. Feel free to comment on any books you have read listened to.

What cruise are you going on? Love to hear more about that as well.

I love David Sedaris... I haven't read (or listened to) his new book but I've read older ones. As for Kindle I'm totally jealous if you get it! Hehe... I've been coveting one for awhile. I am trying to get into the listening to books phase (would be nice when I'm driving to and from work and traveling) but I'm still kind of a book reader. Hard to make the switch... I just finished "The Queen of Bedlam" by Robert McCammon and thought it was phenomenal. It's a sequel but can stand alone if one hasn't read the first book.

Jim, you like scary books? What was the last one you read? What recommendations do you have for a definite horror/scary book fan? I need some stuff to take on my Alaskan cruise at the end of this month... glad to hear you liked Alaska... I'm really looking forward to it. How was your exotic cruise?

I have never heard of david sedaris. Kindle is kind of a different thing, we listen ,there you read but kind of the same idea as well. Feel free to comment on any books you have read listened to.

Hi, Jim,

You're back! How was your cruise? Did you do or see anything different on this cruise than other cruises you've done in the Caribbean? How was the ship? Oooh ... I need a mini review, please <g>.

Lynn

I am trying to get into the listening to books phase (would be nice when I'm driving to and from work and traveling) but I'm still kind of a book reader. Hard to make the switch./quote]

No need to give up actual reading!! Do both! I usually have two books going at a time. Right now I am listening to School Days by Robert Parker and reading New Moon by Stephanie Meyer.

I like to listen to books while working at my torch, doing housework, or while shopping. I like to read when I get up early in the morning, while waiting for an appointment, instead of T.V. in the evenings or while eating a solo meal.

I love David Sedaris... I haven't read (or listened to) his new book but I've read older ones. As for Kindle I'm totally jealous if you get it! Hehe... I've been coveting one for awhile. I am trying to get into the listening to books phase (would be nice when I'm driving to and from work and traveling) but I'm still kind of a book reader. Hard to make the switch... I just finished "The Queen of Bedlam" by Robert McCammon and thought it was phenomenal. It's a sequel but can stand alone if one hasn't read the first book.

Jim, you like scary books? What was the last one you read? What recommendations do you have for a definite horror/scary book fan? I need some stuff to take on my Alaskan cruise at the end of this month... glad to hear you liked Alaska... I'm really looking forward to it. How was your exotic cruise?

Stephen King is my all time favorite. He is a great scary writer and an even better story teller. The last book I read of his was Duma Key, one of his better ones in MHO.

Jim

I have never read/listened to a Macammon book, I will add it to my list of to be read. Thanks

Hi, Jim,

You're back! How was your cruise? Did you do or see anything different on this cruise than other cruises you've done in the Caribbean? How was the ship? Oooh ... I need a mini review, please <g>.

Lynn

The cruise was great, we visited Half Moon Cay (their private island), St Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk. Grand Turk was the reason we did this cruise (we have never been there before. Absolutely loved it. On St Thomas, we did an excursion over to St. John (have never been there as well), and had a lovely time, I do so love the Carib..... Third time on the Liberty, no stranger to that but the ship/service and overall experience were outstanding.

Jim

I am trying to get into the listening to books phase (would be nice when I'm driving to and from work and traveling) but I'm still kind of a book reader. Hard to make the switch./quote]

No need to give up actual reading!! Do both! I usually have two books going at a time. Right now I am listening to School Days by Robert Parker and reading New Moon by Stephanie Meyer.

I like to listen to books while working at my torch, doing housework, or while shopping. I like to read when I get up early in the morning, while waiting for an appointment, instead of T.V. in the evenings or while eating a solo meal.

I agree about doing both. I really enjoyed School days. How is New Noon? OK, I have to ask, what is working at your torch?

Jim

I loved Duma Key as well... I have to admit, it made me cry a bit. But then I'm a big wuss who loves scary books... talk about a strange combination, huh? Robert McCammon is a great writer, his older stuff is more classically horror type stuff... things like a take on Poe's House of Usher, werewolves, demons, etc. I loved them, because I am a horror geek... but his last two books are less true horror and more period fiction all taking place in the late 17th or early 18th centuries. Less SCARE more ambience.

Right now I'm reading a true horror novel, not for the faint of heart I fear... it's the new Bentley Little novel called "The Academy". His books are definitely more scary and truly horror novels than a lot of the current stuff being marketed in the genre. If you have never read (or listened to) any of his stuff, I suggest starting with "The Store". You'll never look at Walmart the same. :)

I too love the Caribbean... this tiem we are doing Alaska and I'm looking forward to the scenery but I worry that I'll miss the peace and serenity of truly being at sea with nothing but ocean around...

I loved Duma Key as well... I have to admit, it made me cry a bit. But then I'm a big wuss who loves scary books... talk about a strange combination, huh? Robert McCammon is a great writer, his older stuff is more classically horror type stuff... things like a take on Poe's House of Usher, werewolves, demons, etc. I loved them, because I am a horror geek... but his last two books are less true horror and more period fiction all taking place in the late 17th or early 18th centuries. Less SCARE more ambience.

Right now I'm reading a true horror novel, not for the faint of heart I fear... it's the new Bentley Little novel called "The Academy". His books are definitely more scary and truly horror novels than a lot of the current stuff being marketed in the genre. If you have never read (or listened to) any of his stuff, I suggest starting with "The Store". You'll never look at Walmart the same. :)

I too love the Caribbean... this tiem we are doing Alaska and I'm looking forward to the scenery but I worry that I'll miss the peace and serenity of truly being at sea with nothing but ocean around...

Thanks for the suggestions, the Walmart comment intrigues me. I have already added McCammon to my list, I will do the same with Bentley Little. I agree about Duma Key, it is sad. Most of King's works are at least sort of that way. Another along the same line is Bag of Bones, have you read/heard that?

Speaking of cruising, we had just completed an Alaska cruise. It is very different but I have found relaxing as well. Just don't expect a steel band playing raegae on the deck during sail away.

Jim

I think Stephen King's writing has changed pretty dramatically in the last 10 years or so... I liked his early stuff (Carrie, Salem's Lot, The Shining... etc) but his more recent stuff has a touch of poignancy that I didn't find in his earlier works. Maybe I just missed it (granted it's been years since I've read most of the early stuff) but it just seems different now... we all get older and our viewpoints change, I suppose. The new stuff just draws me in a bit more and makes me truly care about the characters. I enjoyed Bag of Bones too... definitely one of his sadder stories.

I've heard that sailaway is VERY different for alaska cruises... we are goign on RCCL and normally there is quite the hoopla for the sailaway... did you see any type of celebration on your initial departure? We are bringing some first time cruisers and I'm hoping there's at least some type of festivities for when we set sail. I'm a bit of an iPod geek, and I've been trying to put together a "playlist" for the cruise... that's a fairly simple task for the caribbean (a little Bob Marley, a little Jimmy Buffett, some random reggae and some steel drums and you're set) but far more complicated for Alaska. I've about given up on my quest to find suitable Alaskan cruise music. :) So perhaps I'll download some books instead... suggestions of good scary stuff?

The cruise was great, we visited Half Moon Cay (their private island), St Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk. Grand Turk was the reason we did this cruise (we have never been there before. Absolutely loved it. On St Thomas, we did an excursion over to St. John (have never been there as well), and had a lovely time, I do so love the Carib..... Third time on the Liberty, no stranger to that but the ship/service and overall experience were outstanding.

Jim

Hi, Jim,

That's wonderful. Gosh, I'm ready for another cruise <g>.

I have friends I work with who also raved about the Liberty.

Did you get to listen to any great books (non-horror, that is) <g>? I'll bet you were busy sightseeing. St. John is a place I really WANT to visit. I keep hearing how beautiful it is, but we've never gotten over there (only to St. Thomas).

Lynn

I think Stephen King's writing has changed pretty dramatically in the last 10 years or so... I liked his early stuff (Carrie, Salem's Lot, The Shining... etc) but his more recent stuff has a touch of poignancy that I didn't find in his earlier works. Maybe I just missed it (granted it's been years since I've read most of the early stuff) but it just seems different now... we all get older and our viewpoints change, I suppose. The new stuff just draws me in a bit more and makes me truly care about the characters. I enjoyed Bag of Bones too... definitely one of his sadder stories.

I've heard that sailaway is VERY different for alaska cruises... we are goign on RCCL and normally there is quite the hoopla for the sailaway... did you see any type of celebration on your initial departure? We are bringing some first time cruisers and I'm hoping there's at least some type of festivities for when we set sail. I'm a bit of an iPod geek, and I've been trying to put together a "playlist" for the cruise... that's a fairly simple task for the caribbean (a little Bob Marley, a little Jimmy Buffett, some random reggae and some steel drums and you're set) but far more complicated for Alaska. I've about given up on my quest to find suitable Alaskan cruise music. :) So perhaps I'll download some books instead... suggestions of good scary stuff?

Sail away is very different but still a sail away party. First of all, (if you are going northbound) Vancouver is a beautiful city, sailing away from there is extremely pretty and very nice to sail from. Everyone was still up on deck for sail off. I don't remember a steel band playing, but other than that it is pretty much the same as any other cruise we have taken. The crowd is somewhat older, but that being said there is a nice mix (families, young adults etc.) of cruisers. I will check and get back to you on the book recommendations.

Jim,

I have used audible air on my blackberry..it does have a great bookmark feature. I have been using it in the car and flights. An amazing very unique book is the The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, and the Zookeepers Wife by Diane Ackerman...both outstanding historical fiction one of my favorite genres right now. Recently read an old SK Lisey's Story...about a widow...I am a new widow and I joke that you know you are healing when you move from grief books to novels about widows. That's why I am big on historical and staying away from romance now. As to my cruise...my first I am doing the Barcelona to Lisbon on Crystal Serenity. Never been to Spain or any of the ports..also doing the golf theme and have signed up for about 5 rounds of golf. Can't hardly wait...my thanks for all the great book suggestions.