HAL Fuel surcharges

Kamloops50

Will this affect your cruise plans?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Will this affect your cruise plans?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know at this time

I just received my revised invoice for 02/16/08. It was nice to note that my HAL consultant never bothered to indicate to me WHY I got a revised invoice

I wouldn't like that either! We got our revised invoice yesterday from our PCC at HAL, and the first thing I asked DH was if she'd explained what the surcharge was for. She did, very well. (I had just read your post, so it was fresh in my mind!)

As for would this added surcharge make us think about not cruising anymore, no! I agree that it would be better, though, if it was just added into the cost per cabin as others have suggested.

You should have you TA check their math skills. The surcharge is only for the first and second person in the cabin. Do you have one cabin or two? Also, there is no additional tax on top of the surcharge.

My TA sent me a letter and said that there was in increase in taxes and the new fuel surcharge.

On the invoice it was itemized as Taxes and Fees P/P - $76.55 and New Fuel Charge 1st/2nd $35.00.

I realize now taking a second peek at the invoice that I did not multiply the taxes per person ( I thought she just put the total tax amount there) and the fuel charge per person.

The new total is $229.65 total for the tax and $70 total for the fuel. You're right - they do not charge fuel for the 3rd person, only a small tax increase.

So... looking at my old invoice I realize that the total price of the cruise is a whopping $86.89 more after the changes. NOT BAD AT ALL :D

Thanks!

So... looking at my old invoice I realize that the total price of the cruise is a whopping $86.89 more after the changes. NOT BAD AT ALL :D Thanks!

It looks like you may have a double bubble going on here.Generally speaking, the only difference between what you expected to pay and your current invoice should be $70 for the fuel surcharge.

It sounds like the incremental $16.89 may be attributed to increased port charges and taxes, both imposed beyond the control of any cruise line. These charges can be increased at any time by the ports visited on a cruise.

We were hit mid cruise, with an incremental $1 tax, at one of the Alaskan ports, this past summer. It's always something, isn't it. :)

I voted no but, with other factors it might be the straw that breaks the camels back. For example we booked a 10 day Eurodam cruise for September of 08. So surcharge adds $50 each for a 10 day cruise, next we get notice that St John, NB will be substituted for Bar Harbor and that the tax increase will be $8.79 per person. Not that an extra $ 58. 79 will force us to change our mind- but a few more changes may just be enough.

• 2 weeks later...
Now, if they ban smoking in cabins/balconies, that would cause us to go back to all-inclusive land vacations.

If they DO ban smoking in the majority of cabins and balconies, then we will be happy to cruise again on HAL. In the meantime, it's not attractive to us at all.

My wife and I hare experienced cruisers; the bulk of my cruises have been with Holland America. My late first wife used to work for the company, and I know how much money they are used to playing with, as well as their normal needs. As the price of oil keeps rising, the fuel surcharge may do the same: last time I checked, Imperial Majesty was levying "currently" $11/person/day. NCL is charging $7/person/day, and the other companies $5/person/day. Holland America is the first cruise line company that I have heard that has placed a limit on how much they will charge -- good for extended cruises such as TransCanal, World Cruise, etc. At the same time, people are complaining about less original paperwork sent before your cruise (it is sent on line), and the lower quality of food and entertainment on board.

We have options for taking vacations we can enjoy and we are suspending our cruising for the time being, hoping to send a message to the cruise line companies not to fool around with their cruisers.:mad:

Archived