HAL Fuel surcharges

Kamloops50

Will this affect your cruise plans?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Will this affect your cruise plans?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know at this time

"We want to inform you that, because of rapidly escalating fuel prices, Holland America has implemented a fuel supplement of $5 per person per day. The fuel supplement, which applies to the first and second guests in a stateroom only, is not to exceed $70 per person per voyage and is effective on all new and existing bookings for voyages departing on or after February 1, 2008. Implementing this fuel surcharge was a difficult decision but one that we feel was necessary in today’s challenging economic environment."

:eek::eek:

Got the above from my TA. HAL is implementing a fuel surcharge , I have heard that CCL is also going to or has started a fuel surcharge.

:confused::confused:

Cruising is still the best value for vacations even with surcharges. Where else can you go to exotic places, stay in 5 star hotels, have 5 course dinners, and all other meals and snacks for as little as $100 to $150 per day per person?:D :D :D :D :D :D

I just received my revised invoice for 02/16/08. It was nice to note that my HAL consultant never bothered to indicate to me WHY I got a revised invoice (good thing I spend all day on CC so I knew one should be coming soon) ;) :D

I really need a new point-of-contact at HAL. I used to love my planner there. Now I'm just disappointed in her communication skills.

I just received my revised invoice for 02/16/08. It was nice to note that my HAL consultant never bothered to indicate to me WHY I got a revised invoice (good thing I spend all day on CC so I knew one should be coming soon) ;) :D

I really need a new point-of-contact at HAL. I used to love my planner there. Now I'm just disappointed in her communication skills.

Especially since she's getting paid for relaying the info....

Especially since she's getting paid for relaying the info....

Funny how it is that this news is traveling fast and yet when the intinerary changes as it did for the Noordam 2008/9 sails or the ship gets chartered, the word does not reach the consumer, quickly.

Do you think paying the travel agent $10 to take care of business has something to do with improved communications?:rolleyes:

So, I presume that we're "safe" for our December '07 cruise, right? :confused:

To answer the question- Thus far, I can't imagine an extra couple of hundred dollars stopping us from cruising.

Now, if they ban smoking in cabins/balconies, that would cause us to go back to all-inclusive land vacations.

But, $20 per day? Nawwww..... that's chump change. :)

***edited to say that as a financially comfortable COUPLE, it's not a big deal. I'm certain that those who are on a limited income, or traveling with children, it WOULD be an issue***

So, I presume that we're "safe" for our December '07 cruise, right? :confused:

But, $20 per day? Nawwww..... that's chump change. :)

You are safe and the good news is that it is only $5 p/p per day so you just saved $70 on your 2008 cruise. Spend it foolishly. :)

Just got my new invoice today from my TA. For three of us on a 7 day cruise it was an added $111.55. The cost isn't outrageous or difficult to pay, but it was a little frustrating that I just made a payment towards the cruise thinking it was almost paid off, and now this sort of adds a little more.

I was surprised that the fees were added for pre-existing bookings. I guess they had to make some sort of cut off date regardless if you were already booked or not though.

And no, this extra fee will not keep me from cruising!

I know the price of fuel has gone out of sight, so I'm not surprised at this.

My thought is that for future cruises (if you are not already booked) they should just raise the price of the cabin. Don't tack on another surcharge later. That can be an unexpected expense.

For those who have already booked.........I guess you will have to pay the surcharge.

No, it will not stop me from cruising. I will just plan it into my budget.

The charge is not extreme, but has anyone read the fine print??? It might not be legal if the cruise was paid up front before these notifications went out. I'm curious - any lawyers with upcoming cruises in 2008? $5.00 or $10.00 a day - acceptable - $40.00 if oil keeps increasing - not!!! Some of us have to book multiple cabins and want an up front cost!

The charge is not extreme, but has anyone read the fine print??? It might not be legal if the cruise was paid up front before these notifications went out.

Here's the not so fine print from the standard cruise contract:

1. Additions to Fare/Non-Discountable Amount, Taxes and Surcharges: (a) The fare that you paid was determined far in advance of Initial Departure on the basis of then-existing projections of fuel and other costs. In the event of an increase in fuel or other costs above amounts projected, we have the right to increase the fare at any time up to Initial Departure and to require payment of the additional fare prior to Initial Departure. We have the right to refuse to transport you unless the additional fare is paid. Within seven (7) days after you are notified of the additional fare (but no later than Initial Departure), you may elect to surrender this contract to us for cancellation, whereupon you will receive the Refund Amount. Cancellation fees do not apply to this type of refund.

When we look at cruises, we look at a cost-per-day basis and decide whether it is acceptable to us for the itinerary. In the future, we will probably just factor in an estimated fuel charge and consider it a part of the cruise cost.

Right now the fuel surcharge isn't a deal breaker for us.....but then we don't have a clue how far it's going either.

Just got my new invoice today from my TA. For three of us on a 7 day cruise it was an added $111.55.
That's a strange amount! I wonder why it isn't just 7 x $15 = $105. Are they tacking a tax onto the surcharge? :confused:

Got the above from my TA. HAL is implementing a fuel surcharge , I have heard that CCL is also going to or has started a fuel surcharge.

Yeah, I got this news too from my TA today when I went to actually book my 65-dayer for September 2009. All sailings after, I believe, February of 2008 will have this $5 per day (maximum of $70 in a given sailing) fuel surcharge added. Do I like it? No. But in this case HAL made full disclosure of the matter, and I agreed to it by booking the cruise, so I have no right to complain.

And, let's face it ... $70 for a 65-day cruise is not all that bad.

Blue skies ...

--rita

The charge is not extreme, but has anyone read the fine print??? It might not be legal if the cruise was paid up front before these notifications went out. I'm curious - any lawyers with upcoming cruises in 2008? $5.00 or $10.00 a day - acceptable - $40.00 if oil keeps increasing - not!!! Some of us have to book multiple cabins and want an up front cost!

If the cruises were already paid for in full, you might have a point ... but especially for cruises further down the pike, like the 65-day Australia, New Zealand and South Pacific ... which doesn't even depart until September 2009 ... there is no chance those cruises are gonna already be paid for. In fact, this particular cruise just opened for booking a day or so ago.

Blue skies ...

--rita

AAAHH! The full refund does give you the chance to cancel and rebook at a lower fare OR book another cruise if one becomes available! This does limit the ability of the cruise line to last minute gouge you!!!! I feel much better about this now!:)

Just got my new invoice today from my TA. For three of us on a 7 day cruise it was an added $111.55.

That's a strange amount! I wonder why it isn't just 7 x $15 = $105. Are they tacking a tax onto the surcharge? :confused:

You should have you TA check their math skills. The surcharge is only for the first and second person in the cabin. Do you have one cabin or two? Also, there is no additional tax on top of the surcharge.

The supplement applies to the first and second passengers in a stateroom up to a maximum of $70.00USD per person per voyage, for both new bookings and those that are currently under deposit or fully paid.

You should have you TA check their math skills. The surcharge is only for the first and second person in the cabin. Do you have one cabin or two? Also, there is no additional tax on top of the surcharge.

It's interesting to see where different online agencies are popping the surcharge within their quotes. Most seem to be mixing them into the port/taxes area as they did with Crystal and Regent cruise bookings.

BTW, Regent increased their former fuel surcharge this week to $7.50 p/p per day.

Regardless of fuel surcharges, if the base cost of cruising had kept pace with the cost of living, over the past 20 years or so instead of trending towards larger ships/ economies of scale and strategic cut-backs, I don't think many of us would be cruising today, or nearly as frequently.

Archived