Info - Dominican Republic, La Romana & Casa de Campo

Trovador

• 2 weeks later...

Living in Casa de Campo>>>

Do not ... Do not try to use a wheeled vehicle in town or at Casa de Campo.. cobble stone type base and the entire port is not receptive to such wheeled vehicles.

There are no nite spots to think about and it is better to stay aboard ship.

Other than the tours out of LRM .. La Romana, given by the cruise ship, That's it. No colonial tours; thats two hours away in Santo Domingo.

Bayahibe .. Yes .. about 35 minutes away by taxi or tour bus. Gather people around you and for about $5 apiece each way you can get a van to take you and wait for you.

Do not invent. This port is all about Casa de Campo, Catalina, Bayahibe and Altos de Chavon. There is nothing else, you will see the town from deck. Nothing there.

Thanks for all your information. We will spend the day at Catalina Island and Casa de Campo in the evening. We are considering the show Kandela at the outdood theater. Do you know anything about the show or the amphitheater? One of the members of our group had difficulty walking for more than 10 -15 minutes. Is it a long walk from where the tour bus will let us out to the theater itself? Also, is there any type of "handicapped" seating at the amphitheater?

Is parasailing or set ski rental available on Catalina Island? I know there are chairs and food provided and have read that the snorkeling is pretty good here.

Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Debbie

its not too far to the amphitheatre, they have guys to help you down the steps in the theatre and back up as it is all concrete and you start from the top. the show is good

at catalina isle they have a motor boat that tows you around in your choice of either a bannana, tube etc..

676720214_trip089.jpg.7a39fee2b106afee94f15ffd610cc30c.jpg

kandela.jpg.791dc3bf6d663f8876ca080dc48e851e.jpg

Thanks for all the info on this port! We will be at Casa de Campo and are interested in seeing some local artists/local shopping area, Altos de Chevron and maybe going to Jumbo....is it easy and safe to just grab a cab and is there some way to tell if they are licensed/registered? Any idea of the cost for something like this for a family of 4 for the day? We don't speak Spanish, but would love to see some of the area--and hate going on ship excursions!

Thanks again to everyone for the info!

trovador: Thanks for your informative post. We were thinking of doing the Country Safari Adventur through Royal caribbean they go to the sugar can plantation, cigar factory and shopping w/Mam Juanna. What is your inpu about this. Is there alot of steps, etc. Do you recommend other things. Thanks for your help. We aren't beach people.

thanks for the wealth of information. i was confused on the cities and where they were located.

I was wondering if you knew a place to deep sea fish that is close to La Romana. we will get to port at 3:00 pm and leave the next day at 5pm. I realize the times are inconvenient for such an excursion but my fiancee wants to go.

Just got back from our Christmas cruise and I want to tell everyone going to La Romana about the zip-line tour. What a blast. We took a bus ride for a little over an hour (to punta cana I believe, since that is listed on the t-shirt), then transferred to all-terrain open buses to go on a very bumpy ride to the zip-line site. After being fitted with harnesses and given a quick demonstration, we climbed up to the platform of the first of 10 zip-line traverses. I think everyone had a great time, and we've loved watching pics and video of it since coming home. Be sure to get the t-shirt that says "I survived zip-line adventure Dominica R.

You wont be sorry you took this excursion:D

We will be in LaRomana on 2/1. Could you tell me the name of the zipline company? Was it Bavarorunners? Any help is appreciated :)

Just got back from our Christmas cruise and I want to tell everyone going to La Romana about the zip-line tour. What a blast. We took a bus ride for a little over an hour (to punta cana I believe, since that is listed on the t-shirt), then transferred to all-terrain open buses to go on a very bumpy ride to the zip-line site. After being fitted with harnesses and given a quick demonstration, we climbed up to the platform of the first of 10 zip-line traverses. I think everyone had a great time, and we've loved watching pics and video of it since coming home. Be sure to get the t-shirt that says "I survived zip-line adventure Dominica R.

You wont be sorry you took this excursion:D

I am getting ready for my Royal Caribbean cruise on January 25th. My coworker went on the same cruise a few weeks ago. She gave me some information from the ship. I scanned the Discover Shopping Guide for Casa de Campo on to Webshots.com. I will insert the link. Hopefully you will be able to access the information.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/562056345jvzLul?vhost=travel

We will be in LaRomana on 2/1. Could you tell me the name of the zipline company? Was it Bavarorunners? Any help is appreciated :)

I believe they are the only zipline company in D.R. and the pics on the website are exactly what the zipline looked like that we took. It was definitely a "must-do" excursion - everyone had so much fun' Our ship offered this excursion so I didnt look at the name while there, but will go thru my papers to see if it is listed anywhere

ENJOY

Sorry you were not able to print the Discover Shopping in Casa de Campo brochure. I just got the scanner for Christmas and when I tried to post it here to Cruise Critic as a PDF it stated the file was too large. I then put it in a JPEG file for webshots....oh well it was worth a try.

My coworker paid $7 for a bus ride to the Marina. I saw pictures. It looked nice but no much to do there. She stated the stores in the area of the marina did not open until 12 noon and they were on an early bus at 9AM.

My coworker paid $7 for a bus ride to the Marina. I saw pictures. It looked nice but no much to do there. She stated the stores in the area of the marina did not open until 12 noon and they were on an early bus at 9AM.

Did your co-worker say if it was hard to find a bus there or back? Do you know if the buses go to Altos de Chevron? (sp). I am looking for some options and can't figure this port out! I see you are going soon. Please write back about your experiences if you don't do a ships excursion. We are on Costa and there are not as many options as some of the other lines offer and if it is safe and easy we prefer to book them ourselves.

Thanks

Our group will be traveling aboard Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Seas and be at Casa De Campo from 7:30am until 2:00pm on March 12, 2008. We were wondering if anyone has booked Bavaro Runner's Farallon Zip Line Adventure on there own, as the cruise ship doesn't offer this excursion? If so how was the tour and would we have enough time to complete it? Thank you for any help!

Archived