Begin cruise in Auckland or Sydney?

NancyIL

I'm considering a Spring 2006 12-day Australia/New Zealand cruise on the Diamond Princess to celebrate my 50th birthday (on 4/22). The cruise alternates between debarkation in Sydney and Auckland. I know the ports are the same, but is one itinerary preferable to the other?

I looked at both departures, one in March from Sydney and one in April from Auckland and the itinerary seems the same.

The way that I would do it would be to fly the furtherest from home which would be Sydney and spend a few days there getting over jetlag and looking at the sights and then do the cruise to Auckland, thus saving a couple of hours on your flight home. I would also rather do the cruise in March as N.Z. is cooler than Australia and the weather could be getting colder down in the South Island.

Jennie

I have done this cruise 3 times .

The sail out from Sydney Harbour is a real highlight.

Check to see what time your ship will sail out of Sydney.

If it is early evening,during daylight it is spectacular,even if later the lights are stunning.

If you do it the other way AK to Sy,the ship has to arrive in Sydney before the commuter ferry traffic on the harbourr,it is a very early call to witness the entry into to Sydney,and it is usually still dark.

Kiwi Kruzer, we are on the 6th January sailing of Sapphire this year. Just how early does she sail into Sydney? We would love to witness this but not at 3.00am!

Also, can she sail under the bridge, or is she too tall?

Thanks, Cinnamon

We did the Sydney to Auckland on NCL Wind a couple of years ago. I agree, get the longer flight over on the way over, spend a couple of days in Sydney (I personally could have spent a week there) and then you'll be "closer" to home in both miles and time change for the flight home.

The sail out of Sydney Harbor was amazing. We went under Harbor Bridge and by the Opera House, watched it all the way out the Harbor at a picture window in the dining room. Beautiful!

We did an evening Harbor "cruise" on a small boat the night before we sailed and it was definately worth the $. The lights of the city are beautiful.

Lori

Hi Cinnamon,

Sapphire Princess is too big to sail under the bridge ,so you will be berthed at Circular Quay.A spectacular setting , great photo spot,wih the Bridge,Opera House and Downtown Sydney all at hand.

From memory, I think she comes through the Heads and into the Harbour about 5 am.

If you do it the other way AK to Sy,the ship has to arrive in Sydney before the commuter ferry traffic on the harbourr,it is a very early call to witness the entry into to Sydney,and it is usually still dark.
I did this once into Sydney, but in February. It wasn't fully light, but it was a real thrill to approach the heads from afar, sail through them and then up the harbour towards the Bridge and the Opera House before docking. It is one of the most spectacular harbour approaches in the world, and I would rate it more highly than sailing away from Sydney.

You could use the tools on www.timeanddate.com to see the times of sunrise on various dates. Remember it'll start to get light an hour or so before formal sunrise, too.

Archived