Oceania adds Fuel surcharge

Jancruz

Miami, FL, November 12, 2007 - As a result of the rapidly escalating price of fuel, Oceania Cruises is implementing a fuel surcharge of $7 per guest per day for all reservations that are not paid in full by December 1, 2007. The surcharge applies to all currently published sailings through April 2009.

"At the time that we set our current pricing, oil was trading at approximately $60 per barrel and it is now quickly approaching $100 per barrel. This is the first time we have implemented a surcharge and I hope our guests will understand the root cause of this necessary action,” stated Bob Binder, President of Oceania Cruises.

The fuel supplement of $7 per guest per day is effective on December 1, 2007 for all new reservations and existing reservations that have not applied final payment. Guests choosing to pay in full prior to December 1, 2007 will be exempt from this surcharge.

Jan

Based on what can be read on the web, Oceania is making high profits, so fuel surcharge is not a financial necessity. However, their booking levels are high, so they must have figured that the market will bear such increases, so why not?

Pa Nana, I totally agree. In our case, our cruise is for 32 days which means we have to forked out $448.00!!!! We might have to think twice about taking the cruise, because who knows what other extra expenses comes up. Hopefully FDR reads this thread and might do something about it.

On another note, you were going to check with your DH how much was the onboard credits and prepaid gratuities that you got, was it from your TA or O?

But I pulled the info as soon as you jogged my old memory.

I found an email from our TA that says, "the amentities on this particular

cruise will be prepaid gratuities and $100 per cabin shipboard credit." I realize that still does not tell us WHO is providing that credit.

Then I looked at my Guest Statement from Oceania and it clearly says

"Gratuities are not included in Oceania Cruise fares. If not prepaid, a gratuity of ______ per person will be charged to guest's onboard account." This would kind of indicate that the prepaid grats are coming from the TA.

However, when looking at my Guest Statement from Oceania, I also discovered a charge of $394 pp for Air Taxes, Fuel Surcharges and Ticketing Fee. So, should I surmise this new "additional cost" is a fuel surcharge on the fuel surcharge?

However, when looking at my Guest Statement from Oceania, I also discovered a charge of $394 pp for Air Taxes, Fuel Surcharges and Ticketing Fee. So, should I surmise this new "additional cost" is a fuel surcharge on the fuel surcharge?

The airlines also have a fuel surcharges independent of the cruise lines surcharge.

As my Father used to say, "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it."

And now my husband says, "If it gets to the point that you stop traveling and start staying home, then I'll know the cost/charge is too much...."

I won't stay home. I'll just growl a little.;)

I found an email from our TA that says, "the amentities on this particular

cruise will be prepaid gratuities and $100 per cabin shipboard credit." I realize that still does not tell us WHO is providing that credit.

I checked my invoice and it states "prepaid gratuities compliments of (my TA name)"

We are not doing Air so all the other charges were

"GVT fees, taxes, security & handling" $$

so it appears your fuel charge was on the air portion.

Pa Nana, I totally agree. In our case, our cruise is for 32 days which means we have to forked out $448.00!!!! We might have to think twice about taking the cruise, because who knows what other extra expenses comes up. Hopefully FDR reads this thread and might do something about it.

On another note, you were going to check with your DH how much was the onboard credits and prepaid gratuities that you got, was it from your TA or O?

HAL states that it's $5 p/p a day, not to exceed $70. Very fair.

We have two cruises booked for next year. One is our Oceania cruise which had to be paid in full by the 9th November which means we miss out on the fuel charge. Mind you, it is a 35 day cruise which means we would have been paying out nearly $500 for the two of us.

Our other cruise is with Princess, a 14 day cruise and Carnival has put the limit of $70.00 per passenger for fuel costs which I feel is very fair.

Down here, our petrol is costing us between $1.25 and $1.35 a litre depending on what day of the week you buy it, which is still more than what you are paying in the U.S. as you are paying per gallon, though a lot cheaper than in Europe. We have been paying this rate more or less all year and are quite used to the high prices now.

Jennie

The actual increase in revenue to Oceania is $33,418 per week based upon 682 passengers. If this represents the additional $40 based upon the rise in fuel from 60 - 100 $ a barrel it means (assuming that my math is average) that the running costs of fuel per week is in the region of $83,500.

Has anyone any idea what consumption of fuel is on an O Ship ?

Brian

I don't mind paying the surcharge as it seems to be a fact of life these days.

However, given that it appears to be an arbitrary amount it does not give me a very warm and fuzzy feeling. For example they say our fare was based upon $60.00 a barrel and now that it is $100.00 the surcharge equates to $7.00 a day per person across the board no matter when they cruise if they have not paid in full by December 1st.

So as somebody else said what if oil goes back down to $60.00 or what if it goes up to $150.00? It would be better if the surcharge was tagged to a baseline of $60.00 per barrel and charged at so many cents/dollars per day for each dollar over the baseline at the current price of oil 30 days prior to sailing (and should it be less than $60.00 is a rebate in order?).

Also if I book a cruise right now am I subjected to the surcharge or has it now been built into the cruise fare. Perhaps Jan or FDR can answer that question. I am definitely for being fair as long as a two way street is maintained.

Has anyone any idea what consumption of fuel is on an O Ship ?

Brian

That would probably depend on the conditions on which ship is motoring under.

If heavy seas it would be more to maintain a constant speed against the waves and if they were going full throttle or simply cruising along etc etc...

We were on HAL's Prinsendam in April 2006 which I believe is similar to the Oceania Ships: Maybe one of the Engineer's on this board, could figure out, based on our cruise log, the approx gal. of fuel that Oceania would use..

Power: 3 Diesel Generators, & 4 Main Engines 33,200 HP, Propulsion: 2 shaft generators , total Power 9,020 HP ,Gross Tonnage: 38,000 tons, Length: 673 ft. , Width 106 ft.Psgrs: 793 , Crew: 443, Max speed:21 Knots-

Fuel consumption daily was: 26,4020 gallons, Potable Water Consumption Daily: 118,890 Gal.

As you can see I'm goofing off right now;) ..Cheers..Have fun.:) Betty

Archived