what not to miss on a cruise?

Fyly

yes I did this the pre-req reading ^_^.

I was hoping to get more specifics for HAL cruises (like do the tea! have their waffle or I don;t know what...), but wasn't sure if I should post under HAL or general.

Fyly

Try some of the Indonesian food onboard in the dining room (at dinner) and/or in the Lido for lunch: Sate ayam with peanut sauce, Nasi goreng with rice and krupuk, etc.

See the Indonesian (or Filipino) crew show

Try the Pinnacle Grill

I second the recommendation for the Nasi Goreng... not many people seem to order it, but it's OUTSTANDING, and your dining room steward will be delighted that you chose it. :)

I second the recommendation for the Nasi Goreng... not many people seem to order it, but it's OUTSTANDING, and your dining room steward will be delighted that you chose it. :)

If you like spicy food, ask your waiter for Sambal to put on it. It's a very hot Indonesian chili sauce, and the waiters love to watch your reaction when you try it! Try only a very little at first!

I think you know to try eating while on board.

The Pinnacle Grill is very good. I guess Westerdam has the restaurant that Maasdam has.

Relax and have breakfast delivered.

Use the unlimited laundry option. Pack less. Stress less.

Enjoy.

Shay

Take time to check out the art pieces and floral displays throughout the ship... Notice how the lights on the glass elevators change color as they move from one floor to the next... Order room service... As far as food items, go, another vote for the Lido bread pudding, and the chilled fruit soups in the dining room. Enjoy your cruise - you'll be planning your next one before the week is over.

If you like spicy food, ask your waiter for Sambal to put on it. It's a very hot Indonesian chili sauce, and the waiters love to watch your reaction when you try it! Try only a very little at first!

Love that sambel.....go through lots of it at home. It's so good but really hot!

Hit the lido right before midnight for a slice of pizza or a bowl of pasta. And if you really plan ahead, get the bread pudding during lunch and put it in your refrigerator for a midnight snack later on.

My husband and I would go to the lido late, and I'd have a coffee and he'd have his bowl of pasta. It was fun!

Hi Fyly:

Wow - this is our 6th time on HAL - loved every cruise and looking forward to the sail on the 24th! Wooo Hoooo it's getting so close....ok with that

My favorite things not to miss...

The stars - don't miss the stars at night! There are more than you will ever imagine! Go on deck - you'll be surprised how many people are not out there - sometimes it's like your alone. Amazing!

Depending where you will be sailing - we usually sail the (Eastern/Southern)Carribbean..

DH and I have seen dolphins following the ship - they seem to come around in the afternoon more than morning (perhaps that is when we seem to be looking?)

Flying fish - they jump in the ships wake

Double rainbows that is if you are lucky enough to catch some rain in the distance.

Of course a sunrise and a sunset!

The pizza - it's actually pretty good!

Soup - if you like soup - my experience - it's all great!

Try dining at the lido one night instead of the dining room - we tried it on the last cruise and was really nice - they had most of the same fare as in the dining room and they even deliver your meal to the table.

Ice cream in the afternoon - I think 3pm is cookie time :-) A must do!

Coffee? Espresso and Cappaccino!

Treat yourself to a spa visit - can be somewhat expensive but service is good.

Is this the kind of stuff you are looking for?

Archived