rci fuel charge better

emily rose

Rci has just announce its surcharge with a few exception that make more sense to me. If you have already paid in full for your cruise you are excempt.That makes more legal sense to me since every thing is fully paid.

The supplement will be $5 per person, per day, applicable for the first two guests in a stateroom, and will not exceed $70 per person, per sailing. The surcharge is effective on all new or existing North American bookings on all Royal Caribbean, Celebrity or Azamara ships that sail after February 1, 2008.

Guests who have already paid for their cruise in full are not be required to pay the fee.

Moreover, guests who were booked before November 16, 2007, and who do not agree to pay the supplement, may cancel their reservation prior to December 7, 2007, for a full refund -- and they will not be subject to any cancellation charges that would normally apply.

Those guests who do not cancel their reservation and pay in full will receive one logo item per stateroom on their cruise.

Pullmantur Cruises, the Madrid-based, wholly owned subsidiary of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd., has also implemented a fuel supplement of 50 euros for its tours and cruises that depart on or after January 1, 2008.

--by Dan Askin, Assistant Editor

Rci has just announce its surcharge with a few exception that make more sense to me. If you have already paid in full for your cruise you are excempt.That makes more legal sense to me since every thing is fully paid.

This may seem fairer to some, and may even make more business sense, since it will be less likely to anger customers, but it has no more legal basis than the surcharges being levied by the Carnival-owned lines' plans.

Adding the logo item for those who pay the surcharge is a nice touch. It gives it a kind of "we're all in this together" feel.

If you read the cruise contract carefully, somewhere in the fine print, you will find a clause that says, in effect, that the line can raise the fare at any time prior to the cruise, including the day of embarkation. The passenger's only recourse is to refuse to pay the increase and be given a full refund of the fare already paid, with no cancellation penalty. The line, on the other hand, accepts no responsibility for secondary damages, such as non-refundable airfare, or pre-cruise hotel stays.

The supplement will be $5 per person, per day, applicable for the first two guests in a stateroom, and will not exceed $70 per person, per sailing. The surcharge is effective on all new or existing North American bookings on all Royal Caribbean, Celebrity or Azamara ships that sail after February 1, 2008.

Guests who have already paid for their cruise in full are not be required to pay the fee.

Celebrity requires final payment on most cruises within 70 days. Seeing that there are around 78 days between when this was announced and February 1st 2008 the percentage of people affected who have paid in full already is probably small.

Moreover, guests who were booked before November 16, 2007, and who do not agree to pay the supplement, may cancel their reservation prior to December 7, 2007, for a full refund -- and they will not be subject to any cancellation charges that would normally apply.

Princess (and other Carnival Corporation brands) has given those who are inside the cancellation penalty period 5 days to cancel without penalty.

Inconveniance?

How is it inconveniant..........more expensive yes and to give you 25 dollars defeats the object.

Yes a 50 cent fluffy toy makes all the difference to me too!!!!:D

Just need to drink more soda and share the card a bit more !

Celebrity requires final payment on most cruises within 70 days. Seeing that there are around 78 days between when this was announced and February 1st 2008 the percentage of people affected who have paid in full already is probably small.

My thoughts also. How many people pay their full cruise fare before final payment is due--I don't think I ever have? Also, even if someone has made the full payment before the final payment is due, don't they still have the option of cancelling and getting all their money back.

As far as the surcharge in general--in 25 years and about 20 Princess cruises, this is the first time I have seen Princess levy such an additional charge. The surcharge seems pretty modest to me, given increases in the price of oil.

Who cares? I do. And I think I will go cruise with RCI next year. Info like this is why I read here. Thanks for the info, emily rose.

As long as you understand that RCI doesn't let TAs discount so you won't be getting a deal and they under no circumstances allow you to take your own wine on board, sure have a great time. I'll stick to Princess and paying my $35 a week.

I am not debating whether princess or rci is the better ship. I have never cruise princess yet. I have a cruise booked and paid for on the emerald .I am looking forward to my cruise.I wish princess would offer a free on board drink or two as good offering due to fuel charge.Hey I take a free drink . And yes I have my cruise fully paid for april.You have to take advantage of the canadian dollar while you can.

My thoughts also. How many people pay their full cruise fare before final payment is due--I don't think I ever have? Also, even if someone has made the full payment before the final payment is due, don't they still have the option of cancelling and getting all their money back.

As far as the surcharge in general--in 25 years and about 20 Princess cruises, this is the first time I have seen Princess levy such an additional charge. The surcharge seems pretty modest to me, given increases in the price of oil.

I often pay my cruises off before the final payment date - sometimes just a week before and other times, months or even a year ahead of the date. I'm not the only one either - I have many friends that do this also.

And yes, we still have the option of cancelling & getting our money back if it's before that final payment cut-off date.

From a Cunard Line (also owned by Carnival) E-mail e-mail advertisement, the small print at the bottom includes the statement: "A fuel supplement of $60 is included in the above shown fare. "

So the listed cruise price includes the surcharge rather than a surprise when you actually book and get the total.

Although none of us like it when prices rise I can understand it when a company must make adjustments and pass on increases. I have to agree that the way RCI handled the phase in period as better and fairer to their customers as OP has indicated. Princess could learn a bit from their example. Am I going to cancel for 70$ added to the cost of our cruise?..NO WAY!

We are on the March 15 Emerald sailing - I am hoping lots of pax cancel out before the final pay date so we might get a lower price or a free upgrade.

Ron

I wouldn't count on it. It isn't that much money in the grand scheme of things. When you're spending 4,000 on a cruise, what's $70?

As long as you understand that RCI doesn't let TAs discount so you won't be getting a deal and they under no circumstances allow you to take your own wine on board, sure have a great time. I'll stick to Princess and paying my $35 a week.
Well, my Princess cruise next week I didn't buy from a TA because I couldn't find a fare better than the company's, and Princess told me I never would, as they don't sell them any cheaper to TAs. So they either don't discount or they lie or don't know their stuff. None is a plus to me.

And two bottles of wine doesn't make or break it for me. Two bottles of vodka, maybe.

It's about their attitude, not the surcharge. I think that a cruise company should have a service attitude. It's really all they're selling is the experience.

Well, my Princess cruise next week I didn't buy from a TA because I couldn't find a fare better than the company's, and Princess told me I never would, as they don't sell them any cheaper to TAs. So they either don't discount or they lie or don't know their stuff. None is a plus to me.

And two bottles of wine doesn't make or break it for me. Two bottles of vodka, maybe.

It's about their attitude, not the surcharge. I think that a cruise company should have a service attitude. It's really all they're selling is the experience.

Princess doesn't sell it to TAs cheaper. TAs, to get your business, cut their commission and use it to reduce the price. I've never paid anywhere near what Princess has on their website. Don't even attempt to take vodka on RCI, they treat their passengers like children, threatening to even check mouthwash bottles for booze. Not thanks, I'm an adult (well most of the time) and will stick with Princess.

just get over it and have a wonderful cruise. Yes, it cost more (and so does filling up your car at the gas station) but what doesn't these days.

Love life and all that goes with it.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes: :cool: :D

and will not exceed $70 per person, per sailing.

I just spoke with my TA today about my upcoming 11 day RCL cruise, and they do not limit it to $70 - it's $5/day/person for the first 2 pax, period. I mentioned the press release and she called RCL while I was on the phone - nope, no limit. :mad: Sorry.

I just spoke with my TA today about my upcoming 11 day RCL cruise, and they do not limit it to $70 - it's $5/day/person for the first 2 pax, period. I mentioned the press release and she called RCL while I was on the phone - nope, no limit. :mad: Sorry.

For a 11 day cruise that comes out to $55 p/p;)

Those guests who do not cancel their reservation and pay in full will receive one logo item per stateroom on their cruise.

Pullmantur Cruises, the Madrid-based, wholly owned subsidiary of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd., has also implemented a fuel supplement of 50 euros for its tours and cruises that depart on or after January 1, 2008.

--by Dan Askin, Assistant Editor

On Nov 7 Princess announced the fuel surcharge to be effective for Feb 1 and subsequent sailings.

That provided nearly two weeks advance notice of the final payment date for existing bookings.

Those bookings that sail prior to Feb 1 and were "paid in full" are effectively "exempt" with Princess, too.

I fail to see a fundamental difference from Princess's policy.

Archived