HELP: TA included RCCL Insurance in final payment!!

dive-in

When I got the invoice from my TA after I paid the deposit I called and told her I probably wouldn't need the insurance. I knew from reading CC not to purchase it through the cruise line. The TA said it could be taken off at the final payment so I let it go. Shortly after that, I bought a policy through tripinsurancestore.com with TravelEx, but I never called her to tell her to take it off. I guess I expected her to remember to ask about it when we made the final payment.

When she called about making the final payment months later, I was working so not especially focused on my cruise plans. When I did the math after the final payment, I figured out that the RCCL trip insurance was still there. She had not asked about the insurance and had not remembered the conversation.

I called her, she called RCCL, and apparently there is nothing that can be done. I have asked for some form of compensation from the agency but if RCCL will remove it from the bill we are both in the clear. I don't care if it is on-board credit but I want the $236 in some form.

I guess the question is if I contact RCCL directly, will they do something about the charge or do I just continue the dialogue with the TA? Who would I talk to at RCCL about this.

TIA

Since you booked through a TA, RCCL will not talk to you. In this case I don't know what can be done. You did not tell the TA to definitely take it off and it is definitely NOT RCCL's fault. Unfortunately you may have learned an expensive lesson. Hopefully your TA can have it removed but it is not a given as even RCCL's policy is underwritten by another party.

Since you booked through a TA, RCCL will not talk to you. In this case I don't know what can be done. You did not tell the TA to definitely take it off and it is definitely NOT RCCL's fault. Unfortunately you may have learned an expensive lesson. Hopefully your TA can have it removed but it is not a given as even RCCL's policy is underwritten by another party.

Sue is correct, RCI won't talk to you when you booked with a TA. I also think that Sue is right about this being an expensive lesson. Usually insurance is non-refundable.

###

Always do it the other way around...tell the TA not to add it...that you will decide at final payment whether you want insurance or not...that way it will not be on there unless you add it...

just remember that most of life's lessons are learned by mistakes...

We just made our final payment and our TA sent us a letter about the insurance. She will not release any docs without first signing a letter stating if we want the insurance or not. They do not use the RCCL insurance but instead Travelguard. I think this is nice so that there is no miss communications.

You should have told the TA in the beginning to take the insurance off and requested another invoice showing the amount due without the insurance. Then you could have made sure no mistakes would have been made.

A TA has hundreds of customers, they can't remember if you want insurance or not. Most TA's will ask you to sign a waiver stating you don't want the insurance.

Once it is purchased, it is usually non-refundable. You have to accept responsibility for not notifying the TA before you made final payment that you didn't want the insurance. From your own wording, you said you "probably" didn't want insurance - it was your responsbility to let her know you didn't want it.

RCCL won't deal directly with you and I highly doubt your TA can get a refund - you can continue to try to negotiate, but I don't think you'll get anything out of it.

I wonder what would happen if by chance you had to use the insurance(s). It may be useful to inquire if they would both pay or if they have clauses that state they only cover your actual losses not otherwise compensated. Then, it may be a hassle trying to figure out who pays what and when. I suggest you make sure that this is clarified as soon as possible. If in fact one or both of them say they wouldn't pay because you had other insurance, then you may have legitimate and compelling grounds to request (or demand) a cancellation of one of the policies. Perhaps one of the agencies would allow you to cancel and apply your premium to a future cruise.

If there is any consolation, you at least are better off than those who sail with no insurance at all;) .

Happy Sails to You,

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

When I got the invoice from my TA after I paid the deposit I called and told her I probably wouldn't need the insurance. I knew from reading CC not to purchase it through the cruise line. The TA said it could be taken off at the final payment so I let it go. Shortly after that, I bought a policy through tripinsurancestore.com with TravelEx, but I never called her to tell her to take it off. I guess I expected her to remember to ask about it when we made the final payment.

When she called about making the final payment months later, I was working so not especially focused on my cruise plans. When I did the math after the final payment, I figured out that the RCCL trip insurance was still there. She had not asked about the insurance and had not remembered the conversation.

I called her, she called RCCL, and apparently there is nothing that can be done. I have asked for some form of compensation from the agency but if RCCL will remove it from the bill we are both in the clear. I don't care if it is on-board credit but I want the $236 in some form.

I guess the question is if I contact RCCL directly, will they do something about the charge or do I just continue the dialogue with the TA? Who would I talk to at RCCL about this.

TIA

Two issues here, one has been covered. The other is this statement, "I knew from reading CC not to purchase it through the cruise line."

Depending on your particular circumstances and what you desire out of a policy, cruise line insurance may (or may not) be the best option. It should be weighed carefully along with your other options, not dismissed out of hand.

We just made our final payment and our TA sent us a letter about the insurance. She will not release any docs without first signing a letter stating if we want the insurance or not. They do not use the RCCL insurance but instead Travelguard. I think this is nice so that there is no miss communications.

Our t/a does something similar, and that is at the time of booking when the invoice is sent for verification, you have to initial that you do not want insurance and also initial that the info is correct. I guess enough people do not accept personal responsibility when dates etc. are mixed up. So, they have several blanks where we have to initial.

Two issues here, one has been covered. The other is this statement, "I knew from reading CC not to purchase it through the cruise line."

Depending on your particular circumstances and what you desire out of a policy, cruise line insurance may (or may not) be the best option. It should be weighed carefully along with your other options, not dismissed out of hand.

When I read about insurance from CC I did not get the "don't purchase it" message, rather see what plan fits you. I ended up buying RCL's for my upcoming trip on the Empress.

What you can do is keep the RCCL insurance, since it seems you are stuck with it anyway, for this cruise. Call TravelEx or e-mail them and use that ins. for a future cruise. I have changed dates on insurances before from one cruise to another with no problem. Hopefully, you have a future cruise picked out!

"You should have told the TA in the beginning to take the insurance off..."

I take a different view. The travel agent should not have put the insurance on in the first place. Why would an agent sell you something you did not ask for? It is a ripoff. Agents should not add in a profit making insurance policy without your specific authorization. They might just as well add in a Royal Caribbean Keepsake Framed Portrait for $49.00, a Royal Caribbean Photo Album for $21.00, and a Royal Caribbean Dual Sport Bottle/Thermos for $15.00. It is time to start calling them travel salesmen instead of travel agents.

The conversation w/the TA went something like this.

Me: "I noticed cruise line insurance on my invoice. I'm probably not going to need the RCCL insurance."

TA: "Are you sure you don't want it?"

Me: "Yea, I'm looking around at other options."

TA: "Ok, we can always take it off at the final payment."

Me: "Ok."

That was basically the end of the dialogue. To me, she was made aware of at least my intentions to look at other sources for travel insurance, and the "we" implied that she was going to take some initiative and responsibility in checking w/me about the insurance before the final payment. As I said, when she called for final payment I was working so the issue wasn't on my mind. IMHO, it should have been on hers.

I know the TA's handle hundreds of clients. I'm not really angry at her. However, my expectation is that the agency will provide some form of compensation. She should have taken notes on the conversation. I'm even willing to eat a little bit of it but not alot.

As to the comment about reading here not to use the cruise line insurance. Maybe I should have said, for our family's age and situation it wasn't a value. I found a policy for the entire family that met our needs for less than half the cost through the cruise line.

What you should have said to the TA, is were are DEFINITELY going to look elsewhere, please take the charge off NOW and send me a new invoice. What you said I read as very ambiguous since she was still leaving it on.

I honestly don't think you have a leg to stand on because you have nothing in writing or any factual way to prove that you said you maybe didn't want it.

TIA

In this case, I think you are wrong. In your thread, you indicated you did not make a big thing about removing the charge from your final bill, and then you go and purchase the insurance independently without following up with your TA. When we booked our cruise throughour timeshare company, the cost of insurance was added only when we indicated we wanted it. The TA might have thought he/she was looking out for your best interest by arranging for it independently, or you may have agreed to it but had forgotten. The bottom line is, you were not firm in transmitting your wish to have Royal Caribbean's insurance removed from your bill.

If you wanted the insurance removed, you should have communicated this to your TA in writing, either by mail, fax, on line, or in person. Apparently you did not do that, and now you want the TA and/or Royal Caribbean to follow up on your lack of action. Without some proof on paper that the removal was agreed to, I'm afraid you are out of luck. You should listen to some of the court shows on TV.:(

The conversation w/the TA went something like this.

Me: "I noticed cruise line insurance on my invoice. I'm probably not going to need the RCCL insurance."

TA: "Are you sure you don't want it?"

Me: "Yea, I'm looking around at other options."

TA: "Ok, we can always take it off at the final payment."

Me: "Ok."

That was basically the end of the dialogue. To me, she was made aware of at least my intentions to look at other sources for travel insurance, and the "we" implied that she was going to take some initiative and responsibility in checking w/me about the insurance before the final payment. As I said, when she called for final payment I was working so the issue wasn't on my mind. IMHO, it should have been on hers.

I know the TA's handle hundreds of clients. I'm not really angry at her. However, my expectation is that the agency will provide some form of compensation. She should have taken notes on the conversation. I'm even willing to eat a little bit of it but not alot.

As to the comment about reading here not to use the cruise line insurance. Maybe I should have said, for our family's age and situation it wasn't a value. I found a policy for the entire family that met our needs for less than half the cost through the cruise line.

I could be wrong, but once the insurance was included, you would only have a certain amount of time to remove it? Im not sure you would be allowed to wait until final payment and remove it, someone can tell me Im wrong here.

We had a PVP at Carnival tell us that we could wait to add the insurance, and you only had 2 weeks from the date of booking to add the cruise insurance and have it cover pre existing. If not removed it went into effect. Even if you cancelled the cruise before final payment, you still would have had to pay for the insurance.

sounds to me like there was a misunderstanding or your TA just did not know. I had one dippy TA who was wishy washy like that over insurance. never used her again. TAs can be misinformed too or just assumed if you did not say take it off now, it was ok with you. Thats why there is only a 2 week window to get the insurance.

If you had cancelled prior to final payment but had booked airlines it would have paid for the airline and other costs you lost if you had full coverage of the whole trip, not sure you did. Our TA used a different agency than the cruiseline and we still would have had to pay for the insurance, so maybe it was only because it was not cruiseline insurance that it was not refundable once we agreed to have the insurance on our invoice/booking.

In this case, I think you are wrong. In your thread, you indicated you did not make a big thing about removing the charge from your final bill, and then you go and purchase the insurance independently without following up with your TA. When we booked our cruise throughour timeshare company, the cost of insurance was added only when we indicated we wanted it. The TA might have thought he/she was looking out for your best interest by arranging for it independently, or you may have agreed to it but had forgotten. The bottom line is, you were not firm in transmitting your wish to have Royal Caribbean's insurance removed from your bill.

If you wanted the insurance removed, you should have communicated this to your TA in writing, either by mail, fax, on line, or in person. Apparently you did not do that, and now you want the TA and/or Royal Caribbean to follow up on your lack of action. Without some proof on paper that the removal was agreed to, I'm afraid you are out of luck. You should listen to some of the court shows on TV.:(

Just what I would expect from a "Damn Yankee" I guess. ;) Gotta be firm and to the point. I guess it's my fault for being a genteel southern boy.

I'm not disputing the fact that I never explicitly and firmly stated in no uncertain term that I did not want the insurance. It boils down to a he says, she says between me and the agent. My biggest disappointment was the level of service I expected. I expected her to make a note of the conversation we had about the insurance, either electronically or on a piece of paper on my reservation/folder and review it prior to the final payment. Maybe I set my expectations too high or just a sign of the times. Next time, I'll just book it online and uncheck the box to take their insurance.

Just what I would expect from a "Damn Yankee" I guess. ;) Gotta be firm and to the point. I guess it's my fault for being a genteel southern boy.

I'm not disputing the fact that I never explicitly and firmly stated in no uncertain term that I did not want the insurance. It boils down to a he says, she says between me and the agent. My biggest disappointment was the level of service I expected. I expected her to make a note of the conversation we had about the insurance, either electronically or on a piece of paper on my reservation/folder and review it prior to the final payment. Maybe I set my expectations too high or just a sign of the times. Next time, I'll just book it online and uncheck the box to take their insurance.

I would have confirmed with the TA what the final payment was. This is something you should have known long before you had the conversation.

Your comment "I expected". My husband says to me, you know what happens when you make those assumptions!

The law applies wherever you are. Your agreement with the TA is a legal contract. Unless you specifically indicate on the agreement you do not want insurance, you're out of luck. By the way, I think a number of the judges on TV come from the South.

Look at the bright side, if you have to file a claim, now you can file two. :o

Or, is that incorrect? Better to be overinsured than underinsured!

That can cause problems. Insurance companies may consider this an excuse not to pay; in many policies they say they will not pay a claim in conjunction with another policy or only the "excess" not paid previously by another policy. The person would have to read the terms of both policies before filing a claim.:eek:

Archived